Our ice maker in our refrigerator/freezer made more than enough ice for us.  But a few years ago we sprang a leak in the water line and had to quit using it.  I miss it.  It will cost several hundred dollars to have the unit removed for a dollar part.  I'm using ice trays now.  It was fun while it lasted.

My wife splurged for the Franklin Chef portable ice maker this winter.  We have used it s a few times and it does pretty well.

It is advertised to make 26 pounds a day, and if you kept it running I can see it doing just that.

It has a small holding tank that fills with water, over which the ice basket sits.  When it finishes a batch of ice, it dumps it in the basket, and if it melts off a little, the water goes back into the holding tank.  It senses if the basket is full or the tank is low on water and will shut off until you replenish it or empty the basket.

She has been very happy with it.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It sounds like this ice machine may be doable for us. I will definitely look around to find a less expensive model.

I like your idea, ftwildernessguy. We have a couple that we camp with and they have one so I might steal this idea. They would never know that I helped myself to some of their ice.