So now that our kids are a little older we've decided to downsize our motorhomen (currently a 2007 Tiffin Zephyr) and get one with bunks, so we aren't just piling three kids in a bed each night. We've narrowed it down to the Forest River Berkshire 400BH or the Tiffin Phaeton QKH. We have a good price from a dealer to the Berkshire and are waiting to see if the Tiffin dealer can match something similar, which might make our decision easier :lol: but in the meantime we can't make up our minds. We've done the pros and cons (we like the floorplan of the Berkshire a tad better... which is really important to us) but the Phaeton is probably a little higher quality (which is also important in the long run). I'm starting to panic thinking that which ever one with go with I'll always think about the "one that got away..." When we got our first travel trailer I knew the moment I walked in it that it was the right one. The Zephyr has been great, but it's just not the right motorhome for a family with three growing kids (our kids are ages 11, 9 and 7 now).

This motorhome is the one we will be keeping for many, many years so I want to really think it through. What factors do you/did you consider when purchasing your camper?

Thanks

Brand reputation, dealer support, and factory support would be important to me.  My parents have owned 2 Tiffins and couldn't say enough about them.  They took a trip to Red Bay once for factory work and were very impressed.  Bob Tiffin is legendary for standing behind his motorhomes.  The facility in Red Bay has a campground to stay at when there for service and they go above and beyond to support their owners.  

If you are located within a reasonable distance from Red Bay, AL that would factor heavily in my decision.

I'm not that familiar with Forest River, but it does seem like a bigger company to me.  Not sure how their customer support after sale is.   

I think the Tiffon is the higher quality but there are a lot of satisfied Berkshire owners, we saw many of the at the FROG Rally, both nice choices. Check out the Forest Rivers owners forum, they have sub sections for each brand.

Brand reputation, dealer support, and factory support would be important to me.  My parents have owned 2 Tiffins and couldn't say enough about them.  They took a trip to Red Bay once for factory work and were very impressed.  Bob Tiffin is legendary for standing behind his motorhomes.  The facility in Red Bay has a campground to stay at when there for service and they go above and beyond to support their owners.  

If you are located within a reasonable distance from Red Bay, AL that would factor heavily in my decision.

I'm not that familiar with Forest River, but it does seem like a bigger company to me.  Not sure how their customer support after sale is.   

Yes, that Tiffin support is one of the positives for us. My husband has actually spoken with Bob Tiffin on the phone about a problem we were having once, not sure if we could get Warren Buffet on the phone.

I've been on both the FR and Tiffin owners boards, but I was thinking their input would be biased. :lol: 

Always go with quality!  We researched our TT for years and were very happy with our result.  Camped in her nearly 30 years before we upgraded to a moho.  We've been in the moho for 8 years and are still very happy with our decision.  Hope to camp in Dolly until we are no longer to travel.