From Park Model to Toy Hauler TT - Before & After pics

Three inches shy of forty feet and 11,000 lbs GVW is too much for this dancemom to haul around the county, much less 800 miles on an interstate, without chewing aspirins like candy. Our old TT was awesome. It had all the comforts of home and was bigger than our first apartment together. We're really going to miss it. It seems like each day since it's been gone, we've thought of something new to miss. We're not going to miss hauling it though - or the looks we got from other folks with more reasonably sized campers...

So, without further ado, this is our old TT, gone but never forgotten...

P1010142-1.jpg

P1010138-1.jpg

P1014931.jpg

P1014932.jpg

P1014941.jpg

P1014929.jpg

P1014930.jpg

P1014943.jpg

P1014935.jpg

Trading the space & comfort for something smaller wasn't an easy choice. We went back & forth between a smaller bunkhouse TT and a toy hauler. The problem was that by the time we found a toy hauler of the right size & weight, it looked so stripped down that there wasn't anywhere for our family of 5 or 6 to sleep and sit in comfort, much less style. Doing without a slide wasn't an option so that ruled quite a few THs out right there.

Likewise, by the time we found TTs with a decent seperate bunk room, we were back up in the 33-36' length. It hardly seemed worth downsizing if we couldn't drop at least 8 ft and 1/3 to 1/2 the weight. After much hemming and hawing, we ended up with an Outback 280RS. DH says, after the Prowler, it pulls like it isn't even behind our Excursion. I can't tell you that for sure yet though b/c I'm still suffering from PTTTD - Post Traumatic Trailer Towing Disorder - so I holding the aspirins in reserve for now...

In most of these pics, the rear slide is still in. My driveway isn't level enough to pull it far enough down to open the slide but there's a door, a short cabinet, and a sofa under there if you look really hard.

P1014952.jpg

P1014953.jpg

P1014954.jpg

P1014949.jpg

P1014951.jpg

P1014950.jpg

P1014947.jpg

P1014955.jpg

newcamper3.jpg

t1280RS.gif

Very nice. Wish you many happy travels with the new RV. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll adjust to your new surroundings. I'm sure it will be a lot less of a chore to store, tow, and park than the old one.  :banana:

I really like my Outback 210rs.  Here's a couple things to watch for.  Many have had some issues with the upper brackets breaking for the supports for the rear slide.  Mine started to crack and I noticed I had to tighten them every time the slide was opened.  I bought some new ones (they are the same brackets that hold the awning supports and available at any camper supply place) and put in some new bolts from Lowes and have had no problems since.  The original bolts were actually bent.  Keep an eye on the tracks inside that the slideout rides on in the ceiling.  Some have had issues with these pulling down.  Like a lot of other Outback owners, I built a simple wooden brace that I use with a scissors jack that supports the bunk when travelling.  I have had no problems so far.  When you are using your braces for the slideout, one should be labelled with an "R".  This goes on the curbside of the camper.  The braces are adjusted at the factory and are not supposed to be interchangeable, although your dealer may tell you it doesn't matter.  When you pull open the slide, be sure the door is open and the trailer tilted slightly to the rear - this will help a lot.  It also allows water to shed away from the coach so you won't get leaks around the slide.

I really like my Outback 210rs.  Here's a couple things to watch for.  Many have had some issues with the upper brackets breaking for the supports for the rear slide.  Mine started to crack and I noticed I had to tighten them every time the slide was opened.  I bought some new ones (they are the same brackets that hold the awning supports and available at any camper supply place) and put in some new bolts from Lowes and have had no problems since.  The original bolts were actually bent.  Keep an eye on the tracks inside that the slideout rides on in the ceiling.  Some have had issues with these pulling down.  Like a lot of other Outback owners, I built a simple wooden brace that I use with a scissors jack that supports the bunk when travelling.  I have had no problems so far. 

Okay, so this just clinches it. You are going to come to the Gettysburg GG to share your expertise before the warranty is up, aren't you?  There's an adult beverage hunt... :dance:

That is a nice camper!  How much room in the toy hauler part enough for a small cart?

Thanks for asking. There's enough room for a normal size cart unless you go hog wild. DB dropped by Saturday to check it out and thought he could get both Harleys in for Bike Week. If I remember right, the ramp is 53" and most carts are 47" wide. The inside is bigger of course, but if you can't fit it thru the door in the first place then that hardly matters in the end.

Initially, the question we had was whether it'd be tall enough for a GC with roof but the doorway is tall enough for DH to stand in so thankfully that isn't an issue either.

Gotta watch the hitch weight.  2 Harleys is a lot of weight.

Very good point... I wouldn't even have thought of that but the hitch weight is one of the big reasons I was so nervous pulling the old TT. Of course, the sway across three lanes of traffic might have had something to do with it too but DH swears I'm exaggerating. Yeah babe, I just like chewing aspirins instead of tic tacs...

BTW - we still haven't found the spare, and there's nothing in the owner's manual about it either. Where's the spare tire hidden on your Outback? I'm guessing it must have come with one, though I could be wrong... :grpwelcome:

Mine is pretty easy to find - it's mounted on a bracket on the rear bumper. 

Just got done talking to a new Outback owner who didn't get a spare tire with his 2011 model.  He said Keystone lists the tire, carrier and cover as an option.  You might want to check with your dealer.