Hoop Dee Do Review with a toddler?

I keep hearing that this is a must-do while we're staying at the Fort in December.  Our DD will be 18 months at our visit, and we have a 6 year old.  Eating out with our youngest is tricky to say the least, and she is not a captive audience.  Is this a terrible idea to try?  Are we better off waiting until the kids are a little older?     

We took our daughter when she was 10 months and our son when he was 12 months... both LOVED it.  The loud music and songs kept their attention.  You could try requesting a table towards the back, so that you may stand up and dance with her (while not blocking others).  Having said that, you know your baby best and the tickets for the show are not cheap so... if you think you'll just be frustrated trying to keep her entertained, then you might be better off waiting.  If you don't get to WDW that often and you'd really like to see the show....if it were me, I'd probably try it.  She might surprise you ;)

Best of luck and... have a great time! :)

I keep hearing that this is a must-do while we're staying at the Fort in December.  Our DD will be 18 months at our visit, and we have a 6 year old.  Eating out with our youngest is tricky to say the least, and she is not a captive audience.  Is this a terrible idea to try?  Are we better off waiting until the kids are a little older?     

How about Mickey's Backyard BBQ instead?  It's more child friendly. You would be able to get up and move around with the young one without being in the way of the performers and servers.  Your 6 year old would love it, too, because there is ample opportunity to dance with the characters. 

How about Mickey's Backyard BBQ instead?  It's more child friendly. You would be able to get up and move around with the young one without being in the way of the performers and servers.  Your 6 year old would love it, too, because there is ample opportunity to dance with the characters. 

Haha...funny, I just came back in to make that suggestion.  I agree with Judy, even though we haven't done Mickey's BBQ (were scheduled to do that in October), unless your child is terrified of them, it's hard to go wrong with a character meal :)  IF the baby is afraid of the characters, from what I understand, they don't come to your table like other character meals. They're on stage and then I think you can go to them for pictures (other fiends may need to correct me on this).  

We have done both with Z twice. He did MBYBBQ for his 3rd and 4th birthdays. The second time was a request of he and his friend. They were still talking about it a year later. That says a lot. Since the. We've done the HDDR twice. He LOVED it. We went for my mom, but Z was laughing so hard that it was cracking everyone up. He now says he likes the HDDR better. He's 5.

That said, if you haven't done either, I'd pick the BBQ. It's a sure thing for young kids.

Thank you all!  This is so helpful!  I've made reservations for Mickey's BBQ, which sounds like a better fit for my little one this visit.  We're hoping to make it to WDW every year, so we'll think about HDDR next year.

For Mickey's BBQ, is there reserved seating, or do you just sit wherever? 

You just sit where ever. I recommend you get there early to get in line.

Thank you all!  This is so helpful!  I've made reservations for Mickey's BBQ, which sounds like a better fit for my little one this visit.  We're hoping to make it to WDW every year, so we'll think about HDDR next year.

For Mickey's BBQ, is there reserved seating, or do you just sit wherever? 

Get there early. I went April 2013, and talk about it in my trip report (linked in my signature). If you get there early, you get to meet and get pictures with Chip n Dale and Goofy. You can also get a table around the main dancing area.