Height Limits on Garden State Parkway?

Our plan this year is to avoid the construction nightmare on the GW Bridge in NYC and take the Garden State Parkway to the NJ Turnpike.  We've gone this route before with our hybrid, and it was always a much nicer road and way less traffic, but we've never taken this route with our current TT which is quite a bit taller.

I've done some digging online, and the info that I find (which weirdly isn't that easy to find) says the lowest overpass is 11'3" on the shoulder.  I've seen posts on some RV forums from people that say they have no trouble getting through with larger MH, and suggesting that you move to the center lane for a couple of the lower bridges just to be safe. 

If 11'3" is accurate, we should be fine, but I told DH I'd throw the question out to the Fiends to get some first hand confirmation to put his mind at ease. 

Have any of you gone this route with a fairly tall MH or TT and if so, what was your experience?

Don't worry. NJ has CM's at every underpass with a stick to make sure you will meet the height requirements.

Between Exit 131-138 there are some arched overpasses that you would have to be toward the middle otherwise you will be fine. Buses are allowed the entire length so you shouldn't have a problem. I think the height restriction is 13' 6".

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. NJ has CM's at every underpass with a stick to make sure you will meet the height requirements.

Can't I just scan my MagicBand?

Between Exit 131-138 there are some arched overpasses that you would have to be toward the middle otherwise you will be fine. Buses are allowed the entire length so you shouldn't have a problem. I think the height restriction is 13' 6". Best Regards, Norm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Norm!

No in NJ they are there to collect a toll. Oh and Mo speaking of tolls, I think when you come upon one on the GSP, stay toward the right, I think they are larger to accommodate the busses and larger vehicles.

Best Regards,

Norm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No in NJ they are there to collect a toll. Oh and Mo speaking of tolls, I think when you come upon one on the GSP, stay toward the right, I think they are larger to accommodate the busses and larger vehicles. Best Regards, Norm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know, thanks Norm!

Exit 10 Best Regards, Norm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for fixing that I did not see my typo on the exit# Edison is exit 10, exit 1 is the southern end od the pike before the De Memorial Bridge.

I would head for the Tappen Zee Bridge and stay on 287 south, it puts you on the NJ Tirnpike at Exit 1at Eddison, that's the way we go when we go north during ski season.

That's our "Plan B" but it adds even more time then taking the Garden State.

Normally we'd just suck it up and go 95 through NYC, but last year we got stuck in the GWB traffic for 90 minutes.. at midnight.  Not looking for a repeat performance of that nightmare.

I took the Garden State to NJ Tpke back in May (car only, no camper) and it was a breeze.  We went through at about 10-11pm and there was hardly any traffic at all, and that's about the same time we'll be going through this week, so we're crossing our fingers it will be as good.

• 1 month later...

I'm happy to report that we took the GSP down and back without any trouble at all. On the way down it was around 10-11pm and there was almost no traffic at all. Coming home we went through late afternoon on a Saturday and it was busy, but moving along just fine at the speed limit.

As mentioned above there are a couple of toll booths that are a bit narrow, but we got through fine.

We did move to the center lane on a couple of overpasses just to be safe, but everything was well marked and I think we still would have been fine in the right lane.

Even though mileage-wise, GSP is a bit longer than 95 through NYC, the road condition and traffic are SO much better, that I think this was actually quicker than 95.  And for sure it was much more comfortable and less stressful.

We took 84 through CT to 87 to 287 to the Tappan Zee (which had some construction, but it didn't really hold up traffic at all) to the GSP.  Easy peasy.

This will definitely be our preferred route south from now on.

Thanks again for the info, folks!