Retro WDW Podcast About Fort Wilderness

Hello,

I wanted to touch base with the experts here, before we record.  I love everything Fort Wilderness and try to stay here on each trip.  We usually book the cabins, but have camped for years as well.

Our next Retro Disney World Podcast is going to focus on Fort Wilderness.  We plan to record in mid January, but I am in the research phase right now.  We discuss history and anything Disney World pre-1989.  Basicaly, I don't know much about the Fort from the 70s and early 80s and would like some input.

Does anybody have any specific memories, topics worth researching, quirks that were only around when the resort first opened, and also do we have any opening or early year guests here on the board?

Anything you'd like to share would be awesome.  I'm curious if anybody knows anything about construction, early days, etc.  The railroad is one of those hot topics, but any lesser known facts could work too.

Give us a listen if you'd like to hear one of our first couple episodes, in case you need to understand the format. 

https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/podcast

Thanks so much!

JT

Retro Disney World

Welcome JT!!

Does anybody have any specific memories, topics worth researching, quirks that were only around when the resort first opened, and also do we have any opening or early year guests here on the board?

Careful what you wish for!  :rofl2:

There is some general history info stashed away on our Info pages - you can check out the Site Map here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

We're happy to share it - just please give us a shout out as the source.  :)

I know we've got some "old time" Fort folks kicking around here, and I'm betting they'd be happy to chew your ear off and share their thoughts and experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've looked into the different posts you shared with me.  Thank you!

Looking for some of the original guests to chime in.  Anybody there on opening day, week, month, or year?  Anything that sticks out about the opening?  Maybe a unique story, feature, or something along those lines that is different know or was memorable to you then.

Thank you so much, I'd love to include some firsthand knowledge of the Fort from the early days and anything worth noting up until the late 80s.

Can somebody give me some info on the old trams?  How long were they, hours they ran, etc. I remember just hopping on and off even while it was moving.  I have a feeling that is why they are gone now..

Thanks again,

JT

From my recollection, the trams at Fort Wilderness we removed to Hollywood Studios and repainted/repurposed. I know it wasn't until recently they put the doors on all of them.

There was a thread from one of our Fiends very recently of pictures of the old track from the railroad where trees were growing out from the middle of the track.

One of my favorite memories was waiting for the breakfast truck to come around when we stayed with my grandparents.

And of course....I adored the train.

• 3 weeks later...