Attn 2011/12 Ford 6.7 Turbo diesel owners

I haven't had the problem yet. But my dealer did tell me about it. Not long after I bought the truck in 2012. He said if I get the warning keep driving until I get to a ford dealership.

Thanks for posting. Sofar it's been a really good truck but I know my day is coming.

If you keep driving, don't get below 5 mph or it will shut off. It also will not speed up any faster than you are able to maintain. I had one go out on me. Luckily I was not in a bad situation when it did. I now carry a spare in the glove box. If in an emergency situation, just plug the new sensor in, zip tie it to the frame till you can get somewhere safe to remove the bad one.

If you keep driving, don't get below 5 mph or it will shut off. It also will not speed up any faster than you are able to maintain. I had one go out on me. Luckily I was not in a bad situation when it did. I now carry a spare in the glove box. If in an emergency situation, just plug the new sensor in, zip tie it to the frame till you can get somewhere safe to remove the bad one.

So it is something I can fix on the roadside?  Where is the sensor on the truck?  What is the name of it and where can I get a spare to carry with me?

A 13 MM wrench and a replacement sensor part number: AC3Z-5J213-B but could have been replaced with an updated number since I bought my spare a year ago. Cost was $56. Is located on the exhaust pipe at the end of the Particulate filter. Takes about 5 minutes to replace unless the exhaust pipe is too hot.

A 13 MM wrench and a replacement sensor part number: AC3Z-5J213-B but could have been replaced with an updated number since I bought my spare a year ago. Cost was $56. Is located on the exhaust pipe at the end of the Particulate filter. Takes about 5 minutes to replace unless the exhaust pipe is too hot.

Thanks.  I will have one of these in the truck for our April trip for sure.

the Ford mechanic at our dealership told me this would not work because there are three sensors and you would not know which one to change and even if you did know which one to change you would still have to reset the truck computer. So if you know a way around this please share the details.

Actually there are 4 egt sensors. The number 4 egt sensor is usually the one that shuts the engine down. A cheap code reader should be included in the kit. I use an Edge Insight gauge that can read and reset trouble codes. It told me which sensor was bad when it happened to me but I don't remember doing anything but replacing the sensor and then it just started up. Sounds like your mechanic doesn't want to lose an easy repair.

Actually there are 4 egt sensors. The number 4 egt sensor is usually the one that shuts the engine down. A cheap code reader should be included in the kit. I use an Edge Insight gauge that can read and reset trouble codes. It told me which sensor was bad when it happened to me but I don't remember doing anything but replacing the sensor and then it just started up. Sounds like your mechanic doesn't want to lose an easy repair.

OK thanks. So when you say it's #4 is that the one farthest to the rear of the exhaust system?
  • 2 weeks later...

Knock on wood so far I have not ahd any issues with that.

Apparently I didn't knock on wood hard enough after typing this....

Got in my truck today after lunch, started it up and had rolled about 2 feet and the motor shut down. The display had the "Stop Safely Now" message on it...awesome. So I got out my handy code reader on my droid tablet and found out EGT12 was reading WAY high. I quick trip to the dealer for a $55 part and 4 minutes under the truck I am back up and running. Ugh, what a day.

That is the same part number I picked up today from my dealer. MSRP was $60(ish) and they sold it for $48+tax.

Got in my truck today after lunch, started it up and had rolled about 2 feet and the motor shut down. The display had the "Stop Safely Now" message on it...awesome. So I got out my handy code reader on my droid tablet and found out EGT12 was reading WAY high. I quick trip to the dealer for a $55 part and 4 minutes under the truck I am back up and running. Ugh, what a day.

more info on your code reader please. And did you have to clear the code for the truck to start? And was it the #4 or last one on the exaust?

He stated it was egt12 which is the second one. It is right after the catalytic converter and before the SCR. Talk on the forums is the sensors are failing due to high heat, but that is for number 4, called egt14 on scanners. Ford has a new computer flash recall out that lowers the regeneration temp and some believe eliminates the complete shutdown when a sensor goes bad. There has not been any confirmation yet of exactly what the flash does.

I hope you bought two so that you have a spare for when the next one goes out.

more info on your code reader please. And did you have to clear the code for the truck to start? And was it the #4 or last one on the exaust?

I don't use a traditional code reader, I use an app called Torque that it is only available for Android devices (booo). I connect a bluetooth ODB2 connector to the truck (like this one) and it talks to the app on my phone. Someone on one of the Ford forums put together a plugin for the Torque app that has all the pertinent info for the 6.7 motor so I download it and added it to the app. With the app and that plugin you can set it to monitor many different things on the truck, this is what my screen looks like:

9D373FB1-3437-4C80-8067-C34C951E061B_zps

Notice the temp in EGT12 is MUCH higher than the rest, this was takes right as the truck was started up so I immediately knew what sensor was causing the problem.

After swapping the sensor out (in the parking lot of a fast food joint) I fired the truck up and this is what I saw:

53650CA2-3C84-4314-B999-9F19B14E9B91_zps

Much better :)

I did not have to clear any codes to make it start, as soon as the truck was getting good information it allowed the truck to start and run. When I got back to the office I did use the "read codes" feature in Torque and this is what it showed me:

DDF0A7F0-4522-4275-9877-4F5BA635F19F_zps

I was able to use the app to clear those codes so they aren't there anymore. But, to be clear I did NOT have to clear them to get the truck running.

I hope you bought two so that you have a spare for when the next one goes out.

Dealer only had 1 in stock or I likely would have. I think I can pick them up online a little cheaper and will go that route to have a spare with me.