Good overnight campground in Kentucky

• 3 months later...

I know this is a necro thread but just thought I would update results of our overnight stays at Kentucky campgrounds.

Elkhorn was a nice family oriented campground. We had a 30A back in site along the creek/river for $26. Most of the waterfront sites would not accommodate anything much over 20-25 feet but they do have larger sites on the interior loops. The bathrooms, though older, look to have been recently remodeled and were very clean. It was quite peaceful and quiet. Rene and I have decided to use it as our stop over for future trips. A quick warning: The entrance drive is narrow so look for oncoming traffic before going in.

Unfortunately I cannot say much for the KOA campground we stayed at on our way back home. It is located off of I-64 just before you get to Ashland. The site was very level side to side and not too bad front to back. All of the utilities looked to be fairly new and were all in working order. The bathrooms on the other hand were atrocious. There were bodily fluids on the floors and everything needed cleaning. There was a sign posted that they only monitored the bathrooms between the hours of 10AM and 11PM adding that if you you thought they needed attention to go to the office to report that they needed cleaning. Based on the way they looked in the morning they certainly don't attempt to clean them before 10AM.  It is also a party campground. From the time we arrived until well after quiet hours there was hollering and bottles clanking and management appeared to be some of the participants. We will definitely pass this one by in the future.  

it's unfortunate that the state park campgrounds weren't along your path ... there are some near-ish to Ashland (Carter Caves, Greenbo Lake) but not really convenient to I-64. they're still in decent shape, unlike the lodges & cabins which border on depressing. :/ 

I've spent a lot of time in Bardstown ... now live in Hardin Co. I love this part of the state! :)