Good overnight campground in Kentucky

We are taking a trip up to the Chicago area in May to see Rene's folks and for me to get my Italian Beef fix (not nessecarily in that order). We don't plan to drive it straight through and were wondering about good over night campgrounds along I-64 between Lexington and Louisville? We haven't driven this way since my folks lived in Bardstown where we used to stop to break up the trip (no trailer back then). We're not that worried about hookups or amenities but clean restrooms, showers and close proximity to I-64 are definite needs.

I was looking at RVparkreviews.com the other night for this and didn't see much in the way of an easy stopover on 64 unless there is one not well advertised.  Saw one in Frankfort, but that may be a bit out of your way?

Thanks for the response and to Gretchen for the bump. I saw that one and looked it up. It isn't that far off of I-64 according to their website so I was going to give them a holler. I noticed that whole stretch of I-64 seems to be absent of any campgrounds. We are thinking about making a detour through Bardstown on the way back. It has the My Old Kentucky Home State Park which is just across the street where my folks used to live. We haven't been there for years (Mom moved away after Dad passed away) and will hopefully have time on Saturday to visit their old neighbors family distillery and pick up some bourbon that is unavailable here in NC.

There is just not much on that stretch of I 64.  You might think about the Bluegrass Parkway and My Old Kentucky Home State Park. Or in Lexington/Georgetown there is the KY horse Park or Whispering Hills, both nice. 

There is just not much on that stretch of I 64.  You might think about the Bluegrass Parkway and My Old Kentucky Home State Park. Or in Lexington/Georgetown there is the KY horse Park or Whispering Hills, both nice. 

We are thinking about stopping through Bardstown on our way back. My folks used to live across the street for My Old Kentucky Home and getting back to NC from there is well known to us.

Thanks for the info on the KY Horse Park. I had seen that one and wasn't sure about it as some of the reviews I read said it was geared towards horse people.

Elkhorn near Frankfort, Exit 58

That is the one I found online. Have you been there? If yes how is it?

I know we are only staying overnight but I still like clean bathrooms since we won't be hooking up anything other than electric so I don't have to mess with draining the tanks or carrying the extra load.

We have not stayed there, but they have high ratings from Good Sam. We looked into it as a possible place to have a GG and do the Bourbon Trail, but that has not worked out yet.

http://www.goodsamcamping.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/generalinfo.aspx?cgid=721008246

We have not stayed there, but they have high ratings from Good Sam. We looked into it as a possible place to have a GG and do the Bourbon Trail, but that has not worked out yet.

http://www.goodsamcamping.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/generalinfo.aspx?cgid=721008246

Bourbon Trail? Did someone say Bourbon. Hey Humphrey Bear, maybe we stay here on our next trip to Buffalo Trace :toot:

The link below is why we are thinking of stopping through Bardstown on our way back home from the Chicago area. The Willett family were good friends and neighbors of my folks and helped out a good bit before I could get to over there when my Dad got sick. At that time they were still working to restore the distillery so didn't have any product. Also due to the way alcohol is handled here in NC it is near impossible to get anything other than the big companies in the ABC stores so I have to import it myself. I just hope the revenuers don't catch me.

http://www.kentuckybourbonwhiskey.com/home.html

Keith, what area of Chi town. Our son and family are in Downers Grove so we are frequent visitors up that way.

I consider Geneva home as that's where I went to High School but have no family ties there anymore. My wife's family is in St. Charles. Back in the 70's I used to get out to Downers Grove quite a bit. The electrical engineering firm I worked for at the time was contracted by McDonalds to design equipment and we would test a lot of our prototypes at their Downers Grove store.

There are some nice campgrounds in Kane County but they lack shower facilities and have some night time gate restrictions so we are planning to stay at the KOA up in Union. This will also give us an opportunity to go to the railway museum that is there. Rene has a cousin whose husband works there so we're hoping to be able to include a behind the scenes look (and me being a big kid hoping to be able to drive one of the engines).

OK, off bourbon for a moment with a question....

How many folks just use rest stops/areas for a quick rest then drive on? I have done rest areas and WalMarts for a quick sleep on the road.....

Not anymore. When I was younger back in the 70's or early 80's I would occasionally use rest areas for a few hours sleep but quit after having children. Also rest areas just aren't as safe as they used to be so I rather just stay in a campground where I feel safer.

OK, off bourbon for a moment with a question....

How many folks just use rest stops/areas for a quick rest then drive on? I have done rest areas and WalMarts for a quick sleep on the road.....

I don't - probably because I'm used to traveling with kids. Just feels safer paying $20 or $30 for an overnight spot. That being said I would be more willing in a few years when DS2 flies the coop.