First time camping Stone Mountain

We will be changing our dates at The Fort March 18 through March 22. We have decided to go to Stone Mountain instead for my son and mother's birthday. I went a couple of weekends ago on a girls only trip. (no camping we stayed in the Marriot inside the park :angry: ) Since I really enjoyed it and missed camping I decided to go back to the campground. We decided to stop midway to give the kids a break . Being that we live in Miami that would be about Gainesville. Can you give  any recommendations on  a place to stay, We would not get there before midnight and leave about 7am.  Also do you pick your own sight numbers? I was thinking about the purple sites.  Any good site info would be great. Lastly my husband loves his evening cocktails and me my wine to wind down the evenings, I read no alcohol in the park is this also in the campground or just no glass. I now it is a lot questions but I know my fiends cand help.

I've never camped in Gainesville....so not a lot of help there (sorry).  I know several Fiends have stopped overnight on 75, so someone may pop in soon.  

At SM, yes... you can request a specific site.  The purple loop is a great choice.  From what we could tell, all of the sites look pretty level.  Go to google earth and check out the campground.  You can reserve a specific site both online and by phone.  Online the system will show you what sites are available; I just put the same number for my three options, if there is really only one that I want... SM will let you know if they can't put you there (you'll hear back within 48 hours).  You can also call it in, if you're more comfortable doing that.

Have a great time!! :)

The last time we stayed at SM campground we were in spot 304 (red), while our site was fairly level, the rest of the 3XX red loop had several campsites that were on a slope or incline. For our upcoming trip in the fall we have requested (via phone) a site in the purple loop. Also for what it's worth, if you book online there is an additional charge ($5) for using the online site. The folks that work the phones at SM have always been pleasant to deal with and typically answer fairly quickly.

Thank you fiends I booked my site today. And golf carts are allowed so super hyped. We are planning to go one day to Helen Ga around  Unicoi State park. Hopefully it wont be that cold, we are use to Miami weather. I also am thinking about booking one night at Silver Springs as our midway point, it is only 30.00 the say they are 8 miles east of I75. Any more suggestions would be great!

Thank you fiends I booked my site today. And golf carts are allowed so super hyped. We are planning to go one day to Helen Ga around  Unicoi State park. Hopefully it wont be that cold, we are use to Miami weather. I also am thinking about booking one night at Silver Springs as our midway point, it is only 30.00 the say they are 8 miles east of I75. Any more suggestions would be great!

March weather is hard to predict. We just spent a night in Dahlonega, GA (also in the mountains like Helen), and there was still snow on the ground from the storm last week. It should be warming up a good bit though. 

March weather is hard to predict. We just spent a night in Dahlonega, GA (also in the mountains like Helen), and there was still snow on the ground from the storm last week. It should be warming up a good bit though. 

Yep, North Ga weather is like East TN weather, if you don't like it, wait about 15 minutes and it will change.....especially in March!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fiends, we leave in two days, the 17th.We got a site at silver springs state park for Tuesday night and will arrive at Stone Mountain Wednesday. We have site 15. One of the loops that look close to the office. I could not find much pictures of the sites. The forecast predicts it will be rainy, I hope they are wrong. Will keep you posted!