Most businesses that treat their customers like this will quickly be forced to shut their doors.  But Disney is making more money than ever.  I don't get it.  

Were it not for the uniqueness of WDW, this would have caught up with Disney a while back.  Thing is, where else can one go to have the Disney experience and what other place has the mystique of Disney going for it, and has the national, and even global draw, that Disney enjoys because of this?  There is a lot of truth in what lightbikes says:

I don't get it either -

but they get away with it - and I think it's because at the end of the day they've got us (and/or our kids) hooked on "the idea of Disney" - the ephemeral, nostalgic, vague, goodness, trust in others,  we all so desperately want to believe exists somewhere - we still believe in pixiedust.

It's just my opinion, but I think that Disney can give the poorest service possible and raise rates at the same time, and still have their business increase.  There are so many people in this country, and abroad, that have never been to WDW, that those alone will provide a lot of business, not to mention those that may come every five years or so. that Disney doesn't have to be too concerned.  This doesn't take into account those that receive poor service, but just choose to overlook it because---well, where else are they going to experience Disney?  What chance does this have to "catch up with them?"  I put the chances of that as slim to none.

The only thing that might possibly create a problem for them in the future is overcrowding.  So called Fast Pass lines will soon be, if not already, just another line like it was before.  Adding a small addition to each park may may help some, but nothing short of very large additions will be an answer.  The ability to increase attendance through a method to finance tickets has already increased the crowds and will continue to do so.  The only thing that could hurt attendance would be the increase in rates which, while it might squeeze people like myself out, will have a negligible effect overall.  People such as myself, if we still want to go, only have to hope for discounts during their "slow" times, which are becoming less and less with passing time.

I might like to entertain the thought that they really care if I come or not, but I am not delusional.  

Most businesses that treat their customers like this will quickly be forced to shut their doors.  But Disney is making more money than ever.  I don't get it.  

They don't really have any competition for what they do. Yes there are other amusement parks but they aren't Disney.

Todays Disney is not the same as yesterdays, Todays Disney is truly a study in contrasts...... some of that is good, much is not so good, but in the end there is still enough of yesterdays Disney to make us come back as often as possible........

A Love-Hate relationship if I ever saw one!    hmmm  maybe we should be calling Dr Laura for some advice on this....  LOL