We had gotten caught up in this changing reservation to less days mess last month and this month.

I had thought we had finally gotten it taken care of the beginning of May.

We have been getting ready the past week for our trip this long Memorial Day weekend when I get two letters yesterday from Disney Destinations.

Each one showed that our new reservation days and the dates they were changed to.

So I casually look thru the typical stuff of having a magical stay, how about adding dining, etc. until I get to near the end where it says I owe more $$ for my down payment.

My reservation for 5/22 with the letter dated 5/5, says I owe additional $ and it was due by 3/25.  The section about deposits says if it's not received by that date (2 months in the past) my reservation will be cancelled.

My September reservation letter dated 5/7 said I owed additional funds that were due by 5/4.

So I call this morning, get put on hold, then get an agent.

Said the reason I need more $$ is because I modified my stay. The days I had cancelled were the less expensive dates and that was what the original deposit was based on.  Now my days were all higher priced.

I explained that I understood that, but they were asking for $ paid by dates that had already passed before the letters were mailed.

She said they would pass the info to their IT department (yeah, the computer nerds always get blamed) to see it that can be changed, but once they have $ deposited they cannot cancel the reservation even if it's not the correct amount.

She said there were plenty of comments in my folios from guest services and that my reservations were safe, but how did I want to pay for them?

She also said that if a reservation agent had handled the change (which they can't do because I didn't meet the LOS criteria) instead of customer service they would've asked for the additional $ right then

She said there is a new internal system that has been implemented called X897I which determines, based on different criteria, a minimum Lengths Of Stay.  Holiday weekends are 4 to 5 days minimum.

I asked about a normal weekend, and if I understood correctly, they put aside a few 2 or 3 day slots for weekends (at all resorts), but keep most weekends open for longer stays.

She said they are doing this to make it better for everyone, and she hoped we have a Magical Stay!

Whenever I have run into that extra deposit required, they have always asked for it right then when I call to modify. That's on them. They should have taken care of that when you modified, or given you a heads up at the very least.

They said because I worked with a Customer Service agent instead of a normal reservation agent they didn't ask.

My biggest complaint was the dates in the past and the warning in the letter about cancellations if not paid in time.

They said because I worked with a Customer Service agent instead of a normal reservation agent they didn't ask.

My biggest complaint was the dates in the past and the warning in the letter about cancellations if not paid in time.

I have the same thing with one of my clients. When they modified it needed more money but they never told anyone. Getting the $9 paid on it this evening. 

I am still confused as to how the length of stay thing is working. I tried getting a reservation for October 3-11. More than 5 days nothing available. Ended up booking 3 separate reservation. Reservation 1 is 10/3-10/8 covers the 5 night LOS. Reservation #2 is 10/8-10/9. Umm that is just one day. Isn't that what they are trying to avoid? Yet it was available. Reservation # 3 is October 9-11. This is a Holiday Weekend albeit not all schools are closed, but it is a Federal Holiday so some people do have that Monday off. So why no minimum? Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have the reservation. Just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get it.

I am still confused as to how the length of stay thing is working. I tried getting a reservation for October 3-11. More than 5 days nothing available. Ended up booking 3 separate reservation. Reservation 1 is 10/3-10/8 covers the 5 night LOS. Reservation #2 is 10/8-10/9. Umm that is just one day. Isn't that what they are trying to avoid? Yet it was available. Reservation # 3 is October 9-11. This is a Holiday Weekend albeit not all schools are closed, but it is a Federal Holiday so some people do have that Monday off. So why no minimum? Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have the reservation. Just wish I didn't have to jump through so many hoops to get it.

When she mentioned the LOS, I questioned her and at the very best still got some confusing answers.

But what it sounded like, is that they are putting some weekend  availabilities up for 2 or 3 days, then holding the rest in reserve for longer stays. 

That's where it gets fuzzy, she said the amount changes based on codes, specials, etc.  She mentioned that for a hotel resort, they may not have a 3 day weekend without a dining plan, but will have one with an added on dining plan.

It's all getting blamed on the computers.

SKYNET has taken over...

I suspect that what discounts are in play and how busy the time of year typically is are factoring into what weekends they're blocking out for longer stays, vs just doing it across the boards.

Although I do wonder if this varies from resort to resort or not.  We all know that the Fort is a very different animal than the other resorts, although I expect based on how things have generally worked in the past, that the reservation system (and the new changes) is the same across the boards.

It's also starting to sound like they're not so much trying to eliminate short stays period, just during particular times of year when longer stays are more prevalent.

I would expect that during slower times, short stays (even one night) will still be able to be booked.

I suspect that what discounts are in play and how busy the time of year typically is are factoring into what weekends they're blocking out for longer stays, vs just doing it across the boards.

Although I do wonder if this varies from resort to resort or not.  We all know that the Fort is a very different animal than the other resorts, although I expect based on how things have generally worked in the past, that the reservation system (and the new changes) is the same across the boards.

It's also starting to sound like they're not so much trying to eliminate short stays period, just during particular times of year when longer stays are more prevalent.

I would expect that during slower times, short stays (even one night) will still be able to be booked.

You are probably correct and that really mixes things up even more.  Who would make this determination?  Would it just be at the whim of some manager?  Perhaps the whole new reservation system is not a system at all, it's just a way to stop some activity that was going on in the past and can be modified without notice if they desire.  Bottom line, Disney needs to get a handle on this and produce a schedule or some way that one could know what to expect when attempting to make reservations.  The way it's working now makes them look like a bunch of plain idiots.

The next time we go I'm going to let Jason front for me, at least they can't  BS him, by that time he should have a handle on it.

That other FB site has a long thread that started yesterday.

Someone posted that that you can only book 7 day minimum stays (because that's all they could get when they wanted a weekend) and that Disney is against Floridians because they have blocked out weekends.

One person countered that she booked a single Saturday night in June.

Others have said they got 3 or 4 day weekend stays.

From what the reservation agent told me, they are going to have an ever changing % of weekend sites open (all resorts) based on what's going on at WDW, special deals, time of year etc., and they don't have any set knowledge of when and how many are available.

Sounds pretty much like it's a computer driven operation based on past practices/trends, sort of like the retail computers predicting how many employees should be working at any given time in a store based on previous sales..

It's harder for the Fort, because there is no substitute... Sports is full, give them Music, Port Orleans, give them Saratoga etc.

Fort is full, tuff luck!

So basically Mo, what you said...

My reservation for 5/22 with the letter dated 5/5, says I owe additional $ and it was due by 3/25.  The section about deposits says if it's not received by that date (2 months in the past) my reservation will be cancelled.

My September reservation letter dated 5/7 said I owed additional funds that were due by 5/4.

I was reminded of this thread when shopping recently.  I wanted hot dog rolls from Whole Foods, but couldn't find a "sell by" date on the packages.  They had a sticker, but the only numbers on the sticker said 052214.  I took a package to customer service to ask if they knew the sell by date.  She said it is right there on the sticker - May, 22, 2014.

Apparently nobody at Whole Foods realized that it is no longer 2014.

Hippies.   :animated-smileys-character-024:

You are probably correct and that really mixes things up even more.  Who would make this determination?  Would it just be at the whim of some manager?  Perhaps the whole new reservation system is not a system at all, it's just a way to stop some activity that was going on in the past and can be modified without notice if they desire. 

The reservation system covers all resorts, so I think it probably goes higher up than individual managers. I'm sure Disney has plenty of data on occupancy rates throughout the year and my guess is they're lining that up against whatever promos are running as well - and keep in mind that if there's a promo running, it's because it's a slower time of year and they're trying to get more "heads in beds."

There has been some speculation about this change trying to stop some shenanigans going on with people booking nights just to get perks (like EMH, ADR and FP+). During slower times, Disney may not care so much about that stuff (assuming it's as big a problem as is rumored) but if it's preventing longer reservations during busy times (when rates are higher!) then I wouldn't be surprised if that's part of all this too.

That other FB site has a long thread that started yesterday.

Someone posted that that you can only book 7 day minimum stays (because that's all they could get when they wanted a weekend) and that Disney is against Floridians because they have blocked out weekends.

One person countered that she booked a single Saturday night in June.

Others have said they got 3 or 4 day weekend stays.

I saw that.  Unfortunately some of it is a bad game of "telephone" and it's hard to gauge a lot of it because people aren't specific about when they're getting reservations (i.e. time of week/year).

I do think the claim made there that this is somehow a giant conspiracy against locals and/or AP holders is a stretch.  Those 2 groups may be the ones most effected, as they're the ones who can most easily book short stays, but I think that's a by-product of a business decision, not some grand conspiracy.  8)

Other folks have also pointed out that a lot of hotels/resorts/campgrounds have length-of-stay requirements, so this isn't really some crazy new thing - even if it's new to Disney.

"She said they are doing this to make it better for everyone, and she hoped we have a Magical Stay!"

Magical stay my *** -   - that's a phrase Disney can drop any time - it's totally lost its meaning

is that anything like the southern phrase "Bless your heart...."?

One time we had an emergency the day of departure and had to cancel. I called up and told them to just bump the reservation for literally any day in the future and I would deal with it later. That way I didn't forfeit my deposit. I then hung up on the agent ce it was an emergency. A real one.

I then used that reservation (modified) later on. But...when we got there there was no reservation. It had been booted. Canceled. Too bad. We never paid the 2 dollars extra so the system cancelled us. It all turned out in the end. And if I hadn't been in such a hurry in the original call, I'm sure the agent would have secured the extra deposit. But it is definitely is something to be aware of.

One time we had an emergency the day of departure and had to cancel. I called up and told them to just bump the reservation for literally any day in the future and I would deal with it later. That way I didn't forfeit my deposit. I then hung up on the agent ce it was an emergency. A real one.

I then used that reservation (modified) later on. But...when we got there there was no reservation. It had been booted. Canceled. Too bad. We never paid the 2 dollars extra so the system cancelled us. It all turned out in the end. And if I hadn't been in such a hurry in the original call, I'm sure the agent would have secured the extra deposit. But it is definitely is something to be aware of.

With the new system and way of making changes that wouldnt be an issue. They seem to be protecting the reservation when they change the check in and an additional amount of deposit is needed. I called in about one that I had, trying to make a second adjustment, and they never once asked about the unpaid balance on it. 

With the new system and way of making changes that wouldnt be an issue. They seem to be protecting the reservation when they change the check in and an additional amount of deposit is needed. I called in about one that I had, trying to make a second adjustment, and they never once asked about the unpaid balance on it. 

I can see them asking to make up the difference, but they need to change their programming in the letter generator to check and see if they are telling you to pay a deposit by X date, when it's 2 months past.

But if you think about it, if they already have 85-90 % of the deposit $, is it worth their effort and aggravating customers to collect a few dollars?

Why not just list in the letter that since the reservation was modified, you will owe an additional $$ payable at check in?

That to me would be the simplest way to do things.

Most businesses that treat their customers like this will quickly be forced to shut their doors.  But Disney is making more money than ever.  I don't get it.  

I don't get it either -

but they get away with it - and I think it's because at the end of the day they've got us (and/or our kids) hooked on "the idea of Disney" - the ephemeral, nostalgic, vague, goodness, trust in others,  we all so desperately want to believe exists somewhere - we still believe in pixiedust.  

And nobody capitalizes on that better then Disney. 

we all so desperately want to believe exists somewhere - we still believe in pixiedust.  

Getting off base from deposit problems (but who cares) I think for the most part Disney started losing it's Pixie Dust quite a few years ago.

I remember when my kids were growing up, the Disney Channel was a wholesome great place for the kids to watch Disney movies and cartoons.

Somewhere in between my kids growing up, and my grandkids coming along, it's turned into a heaping pile of crap.

Like MTV it veered off of it's original idea.

There are very few Disney movies or cartoons on it now.

There are tons of shows that have rich families with snarky kids ruling the roost.  The parents are dumb and clueless, the kids do what they want, spend what they want etc.  No matter what kind of trouble they get into there is always a hilarious way they get out of it without suffering any major consequences.

The parks and resorts (including the Fort) are being neglected and are getting run down and shabby looking.  They are overcrowded, and all they are doing is trying to separate your wallet from you at every turn.

They have let their core business model slowly die while constantly expanding into more and more ventures that are "not Disney".

ESPN, ABC, Marvel ,Star Wars, etc.

They all make them boatloads of $$$, but they are not Disney, and never will be.

Getting off base from deposit problems (but who cares) I think for the most part Disney started losing it's Pixie Dust quite a few years ago.

I remember when my kids were growing up, the Disney Channel was a wholesome great place for the kids to watch Disney movies and cartoons.

Somewhere in between my kids growing up, and my grandkids coming along, it's turned into a heaping pile of crap.

Like MTV it veered off of it's original idea.

There are very few Disney movies or cartoons on it now.

There are tons of shows that have rich families with snarky kids ruling the roost.  The parents are dumb and clueless, the kids do what they want, spend what they want etc.  No matter what kind of trouble they get into there is always a hilarious way they get out of it without suffering any major consequences.

The parks and resorts (including the Fort) are being neglected and are getting run down and shabby looking.  They are overcrowded, and all they are doing is trying to separate your wallet from you at every turn.

They have let their core business model slowly die while constantly expanding into more and more ventures that are "not Disney".

ESPN, ABC, Marvel ,Star Wars, etc.

They all make them boatloads of $$$, but they are not Disney, and never will be.

Sorry - didn't mean to pull us off topic  :blush: - but the deposit problems, like the jamming of people into the fast pass area to watch fireworks at MK, like the attitude of the CMs who only want to "soothe you" with whatever lie is necessary so you move on - are all so indicative of the "don't give a d**m attitude of the Disney management now.  

You are quite right - they are making boatloads of $$, their core business used to be the guest and their experience, but now it's a case of give us the money and the guest be ____! (fill in your most appropriate word).  (apologies to the language gurus here)

Sorry - didn't mean to pull us off topic  :blush: - but the deposit problems, like the jamming of people into the fast pass area to watch fireworks at MK, like the attitude of the CMs who only want to "soothe you" with whatever lie is necessary so you move on - are all so indicative of the "don't give a d**m attitude of the Disney management now.  

You are quite right - they are making boatloads of $$, their core business used to be the guest and their experience, but now it's a case of give us the money and the guest be ____! (fill in your most appropriate word).  (apologies to the language gurus here)

No problem going off topic. I doubt any of the threads go more than one page without something else getting added in.

And it really wasn't off topic, just a little curve.