It's certainly not the Fort, but I recall that a number of the fiends are also into scouting, so I thought I'd share.

Matt crossed over into Boy Scouts in January, and this troop camps one weekend every month.  February was in a cabin, but March was a tent camping trip to the local conservation area in town where they let the scouts keep a low-impact site going.

The week before, we got nice comfortable temps in the high 60's and all seemed right in the world.  However, mother nature can be a *iotch if you know what I mean.  As the day approached, the temps were to be low 30's for a high, with lows in the teens at night.  It was obvious that my sleeping bag rated for 20 deg F was not going to cut it, so I picked up a Field and Stream bag rated for -15 deg F at Dick's Sporting Goods on the way home from work. 

We had all the gear set up just before sundown at 6:30 or so, with a healthy fire going.  I got a picture of Matt (middle) and two of his buddies setting up their tent.  Do these guys look like they are having fun or what?

ca9199e7.jpg

So what do you do when the sun goes down in the middle of a snowy forest when the temperatures drop to the low 20's?  Sit by the fire and tell the kids to go find more firewood!

db9e0e5f.jpg

7fcb56dd.jpg

And grab a few more photos of the camp to show how everyone set up in the snow:

56a58d19.jpg

The kids played a long game of manhunt or whatever it's called now; with a nice starlit night in a nearby gravel pit where the kids had an unobstructed view of the stars with no competing street lights or other nearby sources.  By 10:30 everyone had called it quits and gone to bed.  That was when I realized that my new sleeping bag was worthless.  I lay awake for hours waiting for it to get warmer with no luck.  Two layers of socks (including a very warm set of expensive wool socks), full thermal suit, fleece top, wool hat and a "steaming mad" attitude it was not getting any better.  So I tossed my winter jacket over my feet and placed my heavy hooded sweatshirt on over the top half and things got a little better - so I drifted off to sleep for about an hour.  Of course, the jacket and hoody fell off and I woke up with uncontrollable shakes again.  And so it went for the rest of the night until I gave up and went to make coffee at 6:00am. 

Matt and his buddy had breakfast duty that morning and did a good job of making pancakes the way that all scouts do.  You know what I'm talking about, extra grainy with pockets of un-mixed dough in middle topped with frozen syrup that was warmed with hot water to get it to pour.  What can I say?  Must have been good.  The troop leaders made a great version of a scrambled egg mix with peppers, bacon and cheese that hit the spot, and the coffee was perfect.

22489f95.jpg

e21647d2.jpg

Took a few more photos and we stayed until Matt earned his Totin' Chit and Fireman's Chip; then had to pack it up and head home for a birthday party for Justin.  Overall, it was a great experience and Matt had a blast.  His $40 Coleman Max sleeping bag kept him nice and toasty all night, and he eventually learned that no matter how "stylish" he looked in just a hoody, eventually the cold wins out and he put on his winter jacket, wool hat and mittens.  Lots of lessons learned and looking forward to many more.  I spent most of that night thinking back to my early scouting years camping in the winter with two flannel lined bags that had broken zippers and how I swore I would be better prepared the next time! HAH  :rofl2:, thank you Field and Stream for the worst rated bag in the world.  Good news, the shop took the bag back with no questions and I am on the search for a quality bag because it looks like we'll be doing this for a few more winters to come.

Our troop use to tent camp in the Poconos(Pa) in the month of Feb to do a ski trip and the scout master made sure everyone earned their frost bite patch every winter. Now they got soft and do their ski trip to Tmberline Skie Area( Va or WV) and stay in the large dorms, guess even the scout master is getting old.

Awesome report Dan!!!  Sure brings back memories of my scouting campouts in the snow near Chautauqua Lake, NY.  Those darn foil dinners with the hamburger, potatoes, onion and carrots never tasted so good when it was cold and the hot dinner was warming your lap!  That was after a long day of pulling sleds in the Klondike Derby competition, where we were the sled dogs.  Ah, good times! 

But one thing I wanted to point out.  I am thinking that your stories of cold weather, lumpy pancakes and freezing feet are all a diversion to keep us from knowing the truth.  That you were eating Dunkin Donuts!!!!  That last picture sure seems to give away your little secret!  Cause if I'm not mistaken, that's a box of DD's sitting on top of that camp kitchen!  ;)

Awesome report Dan!!!  Sure brings back memories of my scouting campouts in the snow near Chautauqua Lake, NY.  Those darn foil dinners with the hamburger, potatoes, onion and carrots never tasted so good when it was cold and the hot dinner was warming your lap!  That was after a long day of pulling sleds in the Klondike Derby competition, where we were the sled dogs.  Ah, good times! 

But one thing I wanted to point out.  I am thinking that your stories of cold weather, lumpy pancakes and freezing feet are all a diversion to keep us from knowing the truth.  That you were eating Dunkin Donuts!!!!  That last picture sure seems to give away your little secret!  Cause if I'm not mistaken, that's a box of DD's sitting on top of that camp kitchen!  ;)

I've been at Chautaqua Lake!!! My BIL works at a big marina there and his wife's family have a house on the lake. They live in Jamestown, where did you live up there?

One key to sleeping warm in the winter is yes, having a good bag, but also stripping off EVERYTHING you wore that day and getting into clean DRY clothes.  Even though it's cold, believe it or not you were sweating in those clothes during the day.  Also crack a vent in that tent window.  Your breathing creates LOTS of moisture.

I found the warmest bag I've ever owned is an old military sleeping bag.  Not light by any means, but boy was it warm!!!  If you've got an Army/Navy Surplus store near you, go check it out.  Also, throwing a simple fleece liner inside the bag helps too.

Looks like a good time!!

But one thing I wanted to point out.  I am thinking that your stories of cold weather, lumpy pancakes and freezing feet are all a diversion to keep us from knowing the truth.  That you were eating Dunkin Donuts!!!!  That last picture sure seems to give away your little secret!  Cause if I'm not mistaken, that's a box of DD's sitting on top of that camp kitchen!  :banana:

You were right, Dave!  Guilty as charged on the prefab fat pills from Dunkin Donuts!  A friend of the troop leaders came for a visit Saturday morning and new the price of admission.  Did you know that frozen donuts have a weird texture?  Just add steaming hot coffee and it's all good.

Also, did you know they have a co-Ed version of scouts called Venture Scouts? Boys and girls, up to age 19 or 20 I think.  Maybe your girls would be interested?  One of the cub scout leaders has a teenage daughter in VScouts and they hiked Katahdin in Maine last summer.

But one thing I wanted to point out.  I am thinking that your stories of cold weather, lumpy pancakes and freezing feet are all a diversion to keep us from knowing the truth.  That you were eating Dunkin Donuts!!!!  That last picture sure seems to give away your little secret!  Cause if I'm not mistaken, that's a box of DD's sitting on top of that camp kitchen!  :)

I've been at Chautaqua Lake!!! My BIL works at a big marina there and his wife's family have a house on the lake. They live in Jamestown, where did you live up there?

I grew up in Silver Creek, right on Lake Erie at the northern end of Chautauqua County.

Also, did you know they have a co-Ed version of scouts called Venture Scouts? Boys and girls, up to age 19 or 20 I think.  Maybe your girls would be interested?  One of the cub scout leaders has a teenage daughter in VScouts and they hiked Katahdin in Maine last summer.

That sounds pretty cool!  I am a big fan of the BSA, and in fact was a scout myself for many years.  But I have had some philosophical differences with the Girl Scouts.  We had a local homeschool chapter of the Girl Scouts which was changing over to a chapter of American Heritage Girls for that reason.  I wasn't familiar with Venture Scouts, but might look into it.