Hi, new to the forum but not to Fort Wilderness!! We have stayed many times and have always chosen loop 300 (we have dogs).  For our next rrip in Nov I booked a Premium site as Preferred was not available so I was considering requesting loop 500.  We are staying 10 days.  We have a 40 ft fifth wheel with 4 slides and loop 300 has proven to be a bit challenging in the past but hubby made it work.  So I was hoping to ask others about loop 500 and what the pros and cons might be compared to 300.  One of the things I have enjoyed on loop 300 is the ability to walk the dogs by the canal for a quick pee break, not sure if 500 would offer the same convenience.  Anyone know?  Also noticed several people mentioned faxing a form to the FW front desk.  Is the form available on this site? Thank you for any replies.  I am truly perplexed. We love 300 but 500 looks nice too.   :)

Welcome

This will get you the information on site requests

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loopsite-requests-r125

The other questions you have asked I don't have an answer for.

We are tenters/PUP campers with no dogs.

You will get answers shortly though

Also check out this link

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/videos-of-all-camping-loopssites-r263

It has videos of all the Fort sites

This link

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/fort-wilderness-sites-mobile-app-now-available-r265

takes you to an app you can download that has a picture of 99% of the sites, their dimensions, and backing difficulty.

All of these links can be found here

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/site-map-find-what-you-need-here-r99

And again, Welcome

As you probably know, the 500 loop is right across the street from the 300 loop, so if you wanted to, you could walk about 1/4 of the way around the 300 loop, and use the exit there to access the pet walk along the canal.

The dog park is right across from the 500 loop too.

But, if you want a premium site with closer access to a nice dog walk, you ought to take a look at the outside sites of the 800 and 900 loop- there's a nice dog walk that goes behind those sites.

TCD

Welcome!

500 and 300 are actually the only loops we've ever stayed in.  500 is nicely roomy and was a whole lot easier to get into than the sites in 300.  In particular we liked how wide the sites were compared to 300.

One suggestion - steer clear of the outside sites around 520-522.  They back up quite close to the sidewalk and we found this to be a bit of a challenge when we were in 521 with our dogs - especially when people came tromping through the bushes into our site with their kids to "say hi to the doggies."  :faceplant2:

We camp with dogs too and the proximity of both 300 and 500 to the dog park works great. The downside of staying in 500 is that we have one that is not a dog park dog and I ended up walking him through 500 and 300 to go out on the dogwalk there - which as we were about halfway through 500, was a bit of a trek.

All four loops that have been mentioned are great loops. Loop 500 is my favorite and 300 is a close second, but we really enjoyed Loop 800 on this last trip and Loop 900 only slightly less so. 900 is super convenient to the trading post. Which means it's also rather close to the pool. I prefer to be walking distance to the Marina so that skews my opinion. I also love that the carriage rides generally go through both 300 and 500, and I really love that bit of additional atmosphere.

Thank you for the info!  I really appreciate all of you that took the time to respond to my question.

I am still not sure what to do.   I have looked at the suggested FF site descriptions and pics and watched several videos however have been unable to see what is behind sites 528-540.  On the map it shows a small canal behind those sites but doesn't show if there is room to walk the dogs there.  I love the idea of a larger site for our rig but hate to give up the convenience of walking the dogs behind the camper when the dog park is closed (evening) or when we just need to have a quick pee break.  Also does anyone know if there is a path to get to the dog park from loop 500 or do you have to go to the loop entrance?  Thank you again folks!

There is no path along the canal that runs along the back of the 500 loop.  If you have one of those sites, you could walk the dog behind your site, but there is no path.

There is no path from the loop to the dog park.  You would need to walk in and out of the loop entrance.  If you had a site that backed up to the road, you could walk through the back of your site and cross the road there.

If you want a nice place to walk your dogs when the dog park is closed, look at the sites in along the back and outside of the 800 loop- there's a very nice dog walk there that goes all the way from the 700 loop to the 900 loop.  If you're not planning to use the dog park much, then forget the 500 loop and look at the 800 loop.

TCD

Thank you for the replies, I haven't considered loops 700, 800 or 900.  I will pull up the app pics again and check them out.  We are staying for 10 days with our 2 Border Collies and our Chihuahua so I hope to be in a site that suits most of our needs and wants!  I am kicking myself for not inspecting other loop options in person the last time we stayed but I am so glad that I found FF for help.  

I love the dog park at FW so it sounds like I need to decide which is more important:  Dog park access or after hours walking area.  Hadn't even thought about the Cypress trees.  I do remember the last time we were on loop 300 one of my Border Collies kept getting those nasty spurs all over him.  I bet that's what you mean about the Cypress trees, huh? 

This is wonderful having fellow FW enthusiasts to talk with and get advice from  :D

Hadn't even thought about the Cypress trees.  I do remember the last time we were on loop 300 one of my Border Collies kept getting those nasty spurs all over him.  I bet that's what you mean about the Cypress trees, huh? 

We have a mini schnauzer.  If we stay in a loop with cypress trees (such as 800) we spend 20-30 minutes cleaning her hair every time we take her out.

We have 3 border collies, one with a really long coat/tail, and when we stay in 300 it sometimes looks like he's dragging a broom around behind him with all the cypress needles stuck to it.  B)

Lol, my older boy "Woody" isn't happy unless he's trolling through the weeds, leaves and trees. So yep, he gets covered in those sticky needles!  Another reason I may steer clear of 300 this time!