Camping on the way to the fort recs

Hey Fort Fiends,

Ive been reading this site for 2 years now and I have finally decided to join in on the discussions.

We are headed down to FW on Feb 8-12. This will be our 3rd stay at the fort and our family is already hooked on the place. Anyways, my question is about camping on the way down. We live in Mobile, AL and we will be towing a travel trailer so the trip usually takes 10 hours or so (depending on the kids of course). We normally have broken the trip up and stayed in Tallahassee but I would like to get a little closer this year to get there earlier on our arrival day. Does anyone have any recs on campgrounds east of Tallahassee on I-10 or on I-75? Also does the Fort allow early check in? I was hoping to get hooked up before the 1pm check in time. Thanks. 

First of all Welcome!

As far as campgrounds go I do know there is a couple at I-75 and the turnpike in Wildwood Fl. There's a Koa and the villager rv park (nothing fancy but 20.00 a night and the have some pull through sites so you don't have to unhook). That may be a little to far though. I'm sure there are other campgrounds between Tallahassee and the turn pike but living south of the Fort I'm not to familiar with them, I'm sure someone will be along shortly who is though.

Like Gwen said, you can check in anytime but may have to wait for your site, depending on how busy the Fort is. We have check in a few hours early and got a site right away, but have also checked in around 1230 and had to wait about 20 mins for a site though it was one we request and knew we had to wait for.

Enjoy your trip and again welcome to Fort Fiends!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I'm literally in Lake City RV Resort right now. Decent place right off of I-10. Most all of the sites are pull-thrus and are decently level. Friendly folks, but not pool or playground. It does have the nicest pool table I've ever seen in a public place.

Lake City? I was broke down there for 3 days before. The BBQ place almost across the street from the campground has ribs that are out of this world.