Since I began the thread noting the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War, I need to start a happy thread.  So here it is...... April 12, 2011 is the 50th anniversary of manned spaceflight (Vostok 1) and the 30th anniversary of the very first Space Shuttle launch (Columbia).    As a side note, the NASA director is expected to announce tomorrow that the Space Shuttle Atlantis will make it's permanent residency right here at the Kennedy Space Center!!!!    :yourock:    There has been so much wrangling for the shuttles that there had been a great chance the space center would not receive one of the shuttles for display. 

Why New York was picked as one of the homes for a shuttle is beyond me.  I understand one going to the Smithsonian.  I can even justify one to LA because of all the aerospace-related industry an research in southern California.  But why not Houston?  I just don't get that one.

Why New York was picked as one of the homes for a shuttle is beyond me.  I understand one going to the Smithsonian.  I can even justify one to LA because of all the aerospace-related industry an research in southern California.  But why not Houston?  I just don't get that one.

Many people believe it is a political move against Texas.  The administration doesn't really like free thought when it differs from their own.