It was a large section, and from the photo it looks like it broke off fairly far up the trunk.

It must've come down with a lot of force, and the campers that it fell behind looks like they would've sustained major damage if it had hit them.

I know based on some posts from TCD and others, that one of the reasons a lot of the trees were removed in the past was because of safety concerns.

I wonder if another foliage denuding will now be scheduled.

These Florida pines grew to impressive heights, but they didn't gain a lot in their girth, so they are weaker than their hardy northern brothers.

11 hours ago, tonyg30 said:

can someone post a link to the pics? can't seem to find them online. thanks t

I can't post the links using my ipad or work pc but I can tell you it was posted in Disney Campers group on FB last Wednesday by a person named Wesley.  if you go to that FB group and do a search in that group for huge pine tree you will see the photos.

Sorry, that's the best I can do...

On 3/30/2016 at 10:24 AM, Travisma said:

It was a large section, and from the photo it looks like it broke off fairly far up the trunk.

It must've come down with a lot of force, and the campers that it fell behind looks like they would've sustained major damage if it had hit them.

I know based on some posts from TCD and others, that one of the reasons a lot of the trees were removed in the past was because of safety concerns.

I wonder if another foliage denuding will now be scheduled.

These Florida pines grew to impressive heights, but they didn't gain a lot in their girth, so they are weaker than their hardy northern brothers.

I was one of the posters about trees at the Fort.  10 years ago or so we were camped in the 1900 loop and while we were at the MK a section of tree broke off and crushed the front bunk of our Class C.  Most of the bunk area was destroyed and crushed down onto the windshield and hood of the camper. If anyone had been sleeping up there it would have been bad if not fatal.

Coming back to that was bad, but not as bad as we were then treated by Disney and the Fort Management afterwards.... but that's another story and is why I have a Love/Hate relationship with the Fort (and Disney in general).  LOL!

And it was just after that incident that Disney started to take out all the underbrush and smaller trees. I was told that was to dry out the low spots where the water had been collecting and rotting the larger trees.

Just saw on our local news that a couple was killed yesterday during the storm when a large tree fell on the car they were driving.  Very sad.  

http://www.wcvb.com/news/two-people-suffer-lifethreatening-injuries-when-tree-falls-on-car-in-abington/38842992