BREAKING: Disney Dollars to be Discontinued May 14th, 2016

image001

Disney announced today that they will cease all sales of the bills on Saturday. Of course, all existing Disney Dollars will continue to be accepted at Disney locations as they do not expire.

Disney is citing the increasing use of gift cards and “digital currency” for the stop in sales and production of Disney Dollars.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/05/breaking-disney-dollars-to-be-discontinued-may-14th-2016/

We hadn't used one of these in ages.  Refresh my memory, If you didn't spend the full amount, did they give you back real $$?

I can understand why they are discontinuing them.  Cost of making them, then if they do have to give back real $$ as change.

Gift cards, if you don't spend it all, nothing comes out of their pocket for change, plus they are counting on people forgetting they have $ left on them and either tossing/losing them or saving them for their next visit in 5 years.

Stores love gift cards.  When I worked at Best Buy, they said on an average, a person coming in with a gift card would spend 25 to 50% more than the value of the card.

I wonder how Disney counted the profits on the Disney Dollars versus gift cards?  Was the profit counted when the dollar was sold or redeemed?  Same for the cards.

Some places count the sale as a profit, others count it when they are redeemed.

But the dollars were a lot nicer to look at than a hunk of plastic.

According to the Disney website they can be exchanged for US currency so I would guess they would give at least partial change in real currency. From the website:

Disney Dollars can be purchased or exchanged for their equal value in United States currency at the following Walt Disney World Resort locations:

Well that's why they are being discontinued.

Between the cost of printing, distributing, and keeping inventory (security) on them, they were costing them money. 

Then to top it off if you didn't spend it all they had to give you money back.

Cards are a let less trouble to maintain before they are sold.