MagicBus,  Do you know what the proper/current line up procedure is for wheelchairs at bus stops at the parks?  Until last Christmas we always lined up outside (road side) of the normal queue and waited.  When a bus approached, we held up the appropriate number of fingers to indicate how many wheelchairs we had with us at that time.  The drivers always stopped and let us know how many he could take and inquired if any could transfer to a seat.  Then at HS we were heading toward our normal spot and a CM told us we had to go through the regular line.  A.)  It's hard to get wheelchairs through those roped/chained areas at times.  B.)  Waiting buried in line means the seats will be filled before we get to the front and either the driver will need to move people or tell us to wait for another bus.

Someone has said the white box with the handicapped emblem was the correct waiting place, but I thought that was only for determining if a chair/device would fit on the lift.

I expect the problem to recur when we are there in July and again in December.  This is usually only a potential problem at AK and HS since we take the boat from MK and monorail from EPCOT.  We have never had a problem at the FW Outpost bus station since the rope system is not used and fewer people are waiting.

I'm surprised you had to get in the regular line.  Yes, they are trying to mainstream the waiting for wheelchairs in the bus lines, BUT, the only place I've seen it is at Epcot and MK for the Value Resorts.

Have never seen it at HS or AK, and have never seen it at the Fort stop at Epcot either.

I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.

In Oct, they had a policy change regarding WC/ECVs, but like so often happens at WDW, they didn't implement it totally and don't enforce it. The bus drivers are as confused as you are.

Your correct, the white template is for sizing scooters. The original policy was, if it doesn't fit in the template, it doesn't get on the bus, period. Well, the first time I denied an oversize scooter, I was overruled by an idiot manager. BTW, all managers at WDW are idiots.

So do whatever you did before the policy change unless you're told to do otherwise. Let the driver know as he pulls up if you're getting on their bus. It helps them out, especially at the Fort.

Some parks & resorts are mainstreaming and others aren't. Some parks mainstream only during certain hours. It's a mess.

Luckily, I don't have to deal with what happens in the Que before I get there. If there is a WC/ECV out in the open, I load it first. If it's in the Que, I will load it when it gets to the front of the line if there is room. I will not stop boarding or ask people to give up their seat anymore. I will tell the person on the scooter that I can't load them safely and that they will have to wait for the next bus.

I'm sure this response didn't help you one bit.

• 5 months later...

Another wheelchair-on-the-bus question....

Anyone heard they have implemented a new policy requiring you to remove a backpack hanging from a wheelchair before they will load you?

Yes they have implemented the no hanging bags on the back of the ECV/WC policy.

If the bus driver feels that it will interfere with the securing procedure, they may request that all hanging bags be removed from the back of the ECV/WC.

I do it routinely because I don't feel I should have to wrestle with WDW shopping bags.

I think I know why your asking Ken. If it's any sort of life support equipment that needs to be there, that's a totally different deal and you will not have to remove it.

I've run into that type situation and work around it.

The policy is mainly for shopping bags & run of the mill back packs. It's gotten out of control.