Local news, WFTV, reported a story that a firework from the Star Wars show went rogue. I haven't been able to watch the video as my wifi out here is spotty.

Video: Misfire during Disney's Star Wars fireworks show causes rogue explosion on roadway http://www.wftv.com/news/local/video-misfire-during-disneys-star-wars-fireworks-show-causes-rogue-explosion-on-roadway/437330280

13 hours ago, arthuruscg said:

I am surprised the road is not shut down during the fireworks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since this occurred on World Drive, that would certainly cause a major traffic headache each night, especially since the Studios Fireworks start 30 minutes after Illuminations.

9 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Since this occurred on World Drive, that would certainly cause a major traffic headache each night, especially since the Studios Fireworks start 30 minutes after Illuminations.

Didn't Disney just move the launch location for the Hollywood Studios fireworks to that spot across World Drive?

Don't they close down the roads behind the Magic Kingdom when they launch MK fireworks?

It seems like someone may have goofed by relocating the Hollywood Studios fireworks launch site to the spot near World Drive.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Didn't Disney just move the launch location for the Hollywood Studios fireworks to that spot across World Drive?

Don't they close down the roads behind the Magic Kingdom when they launch MK fireworks?

It seems like someone may have goofed by relocating the Hollywood Studios fireworks launch site to the spot near World Drive.

TCD

A couple of weeks ago, they were shooting them off on the Studios side of World Drive as we were driving by.  Good question though.  I didn't know they were relocating them.  I thought that spot across from Studios was just for retention ponds.

Yes, they do close the roads behind the Magic Kingdom during fireworks; at Center Drive for Wishes, and at the Contemporary for the special fireworks like MNSSHP.

31 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

A couple of weeks ago, they were shooting them off on the Studios side of World Drive as we were driving by.  Good question though.  I didn't know they were relocating them.  I thought that spot across from Studios was just for retention ponds.

Yes, they do close the roads behind the Magic Kingdom during fireworks; at Center Drive for Wishes, and at the Contemporary for the special fireworks like MNSSHP.

This article is one of many I recall reading about them moving the fireworks launch area to the other side of World Drive:

http://blogmickey.com/2016/02/new-hollywood-studios-fireworks-launch-site-under-construction/

Here's some photos from that article:

Before construction:

DHS_LaunchSite_11142015

During:

DHS_LaunchSite_02052016

As the article explains, the reason for moving the launch area was because they had to close down parts of the park when launching fireworks from the old launch area, which was located in the area of now closed Backlot Tour.

What boggles my mind is that they used to take the precaution of closing parts of the park to guests when the fireworks launch area was close to where guests would be, but then they move it to right next to a road and allow normal traffic on the road?  Fireworks exploding on a roadway could easily cause a fatal accident.  That's why they close roads for the MK fireworks.

TCD