Bus fleet to be increased by a third?

Bus fleet to be increased by a third, I doubt it.

I was recently told by a non-manager, but because of his position, should be in the know, that the bus fleet will grow by 1/3 by the end of the year. I'm very skeptical. In my time at WDW, they have never increased the bus fleet by that much. Also it stands to reason that if you increase the number of buses by a third, don't they have to increase the number of drivers as well and I haven't noticed a lot of new drivers being trained

There are no additional resorts coming online for a couple of years, "Art of Animation", and if the rumors are true about the DVCs, why increase the fleet now.

Most of you will find it hard to believe, but most of the time, buses are running empty or near empty. They still need to make the runs in order to meet the 20 minute time cycle, but except for the few hours during park openings and closings, it's actually pretty slow.

So, for those that complain about the bus service, help might be on the way.

Anyone want to be a WDW bus driver? No experience required.

• 1 month later...

I agree with you, Lou. I see no reason that they need to increase the bus fleet. I have no problem believing that the buses run at far less than capacity, as that has always been my experience. Except for at opening and closing time, I find that the buses are never more than half full. Same thing at the Fort- except for when folks are heading to or from the Settlement at dinner time, the internal buses are seldom anywhere near full.

TCD

Would love to drive the buses when I retire from real work. What do you have to do Lou? also does it pay anything?

Are you saying that driving a bus isn't real work? Just kidding, I know what you mean.

You need to have a Florida CDL for buses learners permit. Go to casting and apply, that's it. No experience required.

It's the highest paying non trade hourly position at WDW.

I would love for my dh to do this once he can't do lawncare anymore. Just have to convince myself I can deal with FLA heat. And bugs. And snakes. And gators. Hmm...maybe this needs a re-think.

I think you're exaggerating the effect that those things have on day to day life. I have not found any of them to be a problem at all.

I would love for my DH to do this seasonally so we could winter in FL. If he can drive the moho, I see no reason why he can't drive a bus. Now if I could just talk him into it ...

From what I've heard from a number of CMs, there are no seasonal bus driving positions being offered anymore. Just part time which is a minimum of three days a week year round and full time.

Being able to drive a MH does not translate well into driving a WDW bus, as I found out. I wouldn't go through the training and testing again.

It comes with a lot of responsibility. You have to be on your toes all the time. You have so many opportunities to make a mistake. That's how I judge whether or not I've had a good day.

Because of the safety concerns, bus drivers are the most scrutinized, reprimanded, harassed, continually trained CMs at WDW. I guess that's why we're the highest paid.

Are you saying that driving a bus isn't real work? Just kidding, I know what you mean.

You need to have a Florida CDL for buses learners permit. Go to casting and apply, that's it. No experience required.

It's the highest paying non trade hourly position at WDW.

I think you're exaggerating the effect that those things have on day to day life. I have not found any of them to be a problem at all.

From what I've heard from a number of CMs, there are no seasonal bus driving positions being offered anymore. Just part time which is a minimum of three days a week year round and full time.

Being able to drive a MH does not translate well into driving a WDW bus, as I found out. I wouldn't go through the training and testing again.

It comes with a lot of responsibility. You have to be on your toes all the time. You have so many opportunities to make a mistake. That's how I judge whether or not I've had a good day.

Because of the safety concerns, bus drivers are the most scrutinized, reprimanded, harassed, continually trained CMs at WDW. I guess that's why we're the highest paid.

My DH would love to drive the parking lots trams! He says then he doesn't have to interact with people, just sit in his little plexiglass cocoon and let the guide do the talking :dance:

My DH would love to drive the parking lots trams! He says then he doesn't have to interact with people, just sit in his little plexiglass cocoon and let the guide do the talking :dance:

Not so fast. I never see the same people driving the Trams . I think they take turns driving for hour or two then switch off to something else, like standing in the middle of a black parking lot in 95 degree temps directing cars. Now that isn't that a dream job? Nah, to driving the Trams.

Nope... not going to go there...

Where?