I'm tired of marshmallows, hot dogs, and hamburgers. What's in the Crock Pot?

Black eye peas are ok, but I LOVE those little white acre peas with little okra pods cooked on top or purple hull peas with butter beans! Doodle, hang with us we'll get you fed up right! I love greens and cornbread. I liked mine mixed usually collards and turnips. Mama makes turnips with cornmeal dumplings...YUMMY!

I am not afraid to try new things,  I think :rofl2:

You haven't tried my 'spicy' cooking - be afraid ... VERY, VERY AFRAID

Spicy is good. The spicier the better. Bring it on  :rofl2:

Thai hot is mild compared to my 'spicy'; global thermonuclear warfare is mildly annoying compared to my 'spicy' - and we don't even want to mention Ohhhhh-HANA ... or the bathroom the next day.  Speaking of the bathroom - you better wash your hands completely before handling any "sensitive" areas.  >:D :rofl2:  I like Habenero Peppers and Indian Ghost Chiles - a lot!  I've been all over the world, and NEVER found anything too hot for me - it's usually the other way around.

I love Habenero Peppers thumbnail.aspx?q=819494781833&id=301eed5d2a48a675427fb2f9ee53c9b2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some of my crockpot recipes:

Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

8 oz. dry macaroni, cooked

2 cans (13 oz. each) evaporated milk

3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I sometimes use Sargentos Mexican 4 cheese blend)

3 TBSP melted butter (I just put room temp. butter in the crockpot on low when I start to cook the macaroni) 1/4 minced onion

1 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in crockpot and mix thoroughly. Cover and cook on Low for 3-4 hours.

Pot Roast

Ingredients:

A hunk of beef - I buy whatever is on sale really cheap

Morton's Nature's Seasons Seasonings Blend (or your favorite seasoning blend)

Dried Minced Onion

1 cup prepared beef broth

Liberally coat beef with seasoning blend and onion on all sides. Put it in crockpot. If desired, add veggies (carrots, potatoes, whatever) and pour in beef broth. Cook on low all day.

Crockpot Stuffing

First thing I do is make Herb Bread.

Place in the bread maker in the order recommended:

1 1/8 cups water

1 egg

2 Tbs. butter

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. black pepper

1/2 tsp. dried parsley

1/8 tsp. celery seed

1/8 tsp. sage

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 cup oats

2 1/2 cups bread flour

2 1/2 tsp. yeast

The center always falls on the loaf for me. I'm not sure why, but since I am using it for stuffing, I don't care.

Once the loaf has cooled, I cube it and toast it on low heat for a few hours in the oven to dry it out. The stuffing recipe calls for 12 cups dry bread cubes. I believe I usually add some regular bread to make up that amount.

For stuffing:

1 cup butter

2 cups chopped celery

1 cup chopped onion

1 tsp. poultry seasoning

1 1/2 tsp. sage

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. thyme

2 eggs, beaten

4 cups chicken broth

12 cups dry bread cubes

Saute celery and onions in butter until softened. Mix with spices, eggs, and broth until well blended. Add bread and stir to blend. Cook in crockpot on high for 45 minutes; reduce to low and cook for 6 hours.

"Baked" Potatoes

Wash potatoes and dry thoroughly (otherwise they will get rusty from the foil). Prick with fork. Wrap them in foil. Fill Crock-Pot with 6 to 12 potatoes. Cover. Cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 2 1/2 to 4 hours).

French Dip

Hunk of beef, with fat trimmed

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 beef bouillon cube

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. rosemary

1 tsp. thyme

1 tsp. garlic powder

Put beef in crockpot. In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour over beef then add enough water to almost cover meat. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours, or until beef is very tender. Remove meat from broth and fork shred. Put meat on sandwich rolls and serve with broth for dipping.

Smothered Cube Steak

Cube Steaks (It's a thin steak usually tenderized by poking full of holes. Often used for minute steaks)

Beef Gravy (see below)

Pour gravy over steaks and cook on low 8-10 hours.

Beef Gravy*

1/4 cup butter

1 onion, chopped fine

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups beef bouillon

Melt butter in saute pan. Cook onions in butter until translucent. Stir in flour. Add bouillon and bring to boil. Stir and boil for one minute.

* I double this recipe to use with Cube Steak recipe.

Tropical Chicken

4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings

2 8 oz. cans pineapple chucks

6 Tablespoons teriyaki sauce

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon grated ginger

Place first three ingredients in crockpot. Combine last three and pour over chicken. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over rice, if desired.

Garlic Brown Sugar Chicken

4 chicken breasts

1 cup brown sugar

2/3 cup vinegar

1/4 cup soda - Sprite, 7-up, whatever

3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

2 tablespoons soy sauce

salt and pepper

Place chicken in crockpot. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta, if desired.

Here are two more:

Beans (no pre-soaking needed)

Here is how I cook dried beans in my crockpot without pre-soaking.

Combine the following in a 6 qt. crock pot:

3 pounds of dried beans - I use 2 lbs. black beans and 1 lb. pinto

1 tsp. cumin

3 TBS kosher salt

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

3 TBS olive oil

6 TBS minced, dried onion

Water to within 1 inch of the top of the crock

Set to cook on low. Cook for 8-10 hours.  Add water as necessary.  Use like canned beans.

Crockpot Greek Lemon Chicken

Ingredients

6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen*

1 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated (optional)

1 cup chicken broth, divided use ( or 1 cup same amount of water and 4 tsp. chicken bouillon powder)

3 tablespoons lemon juice ( bottled is fine)

2 -3 garlic cloves, pressed

1 teaspoon cornstarch

Directions

Grease crock pot with butter.

Combine lemon rind, 1/2 cup broth (or 1/2 cup water and 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder), garlic and lemon juice. Pour into pot.

Sprinkle both sides of each frozen breast with seasonings, add to pot.

Cover and cook on low 6 - 8 hours.

Remove chicken to plate and keep warm.

Pour liquid from pot into small sauce pan. Combine corn starch with remaining 1/2 cup broth (or remaining 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder and 1/2 cup water); add to sauce pan.

Heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boil and sauce thickens.

Serve chicken with rice cooked in chicken broth instead of water and top with the sauce. I srve this with homemade pitas, tzatziki sauce, and hummus, with spinach as a side dish.  My kids like the sauce on their spinach as well.

* You can cook as few as 2 breasts with the same quantity of other ingredients

Black eye peas are ok, but I LOVE those little white acre peas with little okra pods cooked on top or purple hull peas with butter beans! Doodle, hang with us we'll get you fed up right! I love greens and cornbread. I liked mine mixed usually collards and turnips. Mama makes turnips with cornmeal dumplings...YUMMY!

How about grits?

You have not met my cajun husband in person!

This is one of my families favorites, super easy and really good : Crock-Pot Chicken Tortillas

Meat from 1 whole chicken

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup green chili salsa

1 medium onion, chopped

1 1/2 cup grated cheese Monterey Jack

1 dozen corn tortillas

Black olives

Tear chicken into bite size pieces, mix with soup, chili, salsa. Line bottom of crock pot with 3 corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces. Add 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the onion and 1/3 of the grated cheese. Repeat layers of tortillas topped with chicken mixture, onions and cheese. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours. Garnish with sliced black olives.

Even though I'm from the north, my "New Englander" father loved greens - therefore - so do I.  One thing I don't see mentioned by anyone is dandelion greens. In the spring and early summer our yard was picture perfect because we dug up and ate the weeds!! :rofl2:

Even though I'm from the north, my "New Englander" father loved greens - therefore - so do I.  One thing I don't see mentioned by anyone is dandelion greens. In the spring and early summer our yard was picture perfect because we dug up and ate the weeds!! :rofl2:

hmm, our dogs do that for us.  Plus I don't want to compete with thier landmines. :rofl2:

Are they more/less bitter any sweeter than collards? Curious. :-\

I've had dandelion greens....not a fan,....to me they taste more bitter, a bit earthy---lol if that makes sense

I live in Indiana....everyone eats greens....(at least I think so, :()

Do ya'll have a Cracker Barrel anywhere? Go there, they serve greens, collard greens, alot of variations!

I've tried so hard to like greens, really I have, but maybe I'm just not making them right? The only thing I've ever succeeded in eating them in is that Weight Watcher's zero-point soup recipe. I used to get a bunch of kale, try really hard to use them in a way that I'd like 'em...and then end up feeding the rest to the guinea pigs (who loved them!).

...uh, real guinea pigs, not test subjects.

fool proof way to make them is buy the can!! LOL and No I do not do that  :argh:

Canned greens  :facepalm:

Frozen is a very poor substitute - but can work when you're jonesing for a greens fix.

Have to agree, never eat canned greens! Frozen will work, but nothing beats fresh!

Make sure and salt them good and add a couple strips of BACON for seasoning. I know Mr. Bacon at it again  :facepalm: , but thats the way generations of my family made them.

fool proof way to make them is buy the can!! LOL and No I do not do that  :facepalm:

Canned greens  :facepalm:

Frozen is a very poor substitute - but can work when you're jonesing for a greens fix.

Have to agree, never eat canned greens! Frozen will work, but nothing beats fresh!

Make sure and salt them good and add a couple strips of BACON for seasoning. I know Mr. Bacon at it again  :rofl2: , but thats the way generations of my family made them.

Just call me Thumper. I don't like greens. Well cooked anyway :argh: