Disney Dining Plan and Camping at the Fort

Lots of people ask about whether they should get the Disney Dining Plan when camping at the Fort.  What do you think?

IMO, there are definitely pros and cons to DDP that are specific to every family. I'd encourage people to price out the plan and check the menus to see if it's worth it for you - in terms of food and $$.

Some questions to consider...

- What are you camping in? (do you have an easy-to-stock/use kitchen setup?)

- How much do you like to cook on vacation?

- How do you and your family eat? (quantity/type?)

- Budget

The last 2 are the big determining factors for us as to whether the dining plan is worth it or not.

We camp in a hybrid TT and I enjoy cooking - even on vacation. Although I do feel more like I'm ON vacation if I don't have to cook.

We did the DDP twice while camping ('06 & '07). We enjoyed it very much because it gave us the opportunity to try out a lot of TS restaurants we probably never would have otherwise. We kept track, and had many TS meals that would have cost us $100-$200 out of pocket, which made the DDP a major deal for us!

We dropped the DDP when they changed it to no longer include the appetizer or gratuity. No longer made sense for us budget-wise, and we actually enjoy appetizers more than desserts.

2 other factors that clinched the deal...

- Having to make so many ADRs in advance and needing to plan so much of our days around meals

- Too much food!

DH and I are very good eaters and enjoy dining, but we had a bunch of desserts stacked up in the camper fridge. Both years we used the DDP we also found that we had a bunch of QS meals left at the end of the trip. We still came out ahead of the game $$ wise, but the last time we did the DDP (2007) we almost felt like we were stuffing ourselves because we didn't want to waste anything.

For our Dec'08 trip we skipped the DDP. We really enjoyed the freedom to eat what we wanted when we wanted it. We made just a couple of ADRs early - to places we knew for sure we didn't want to miss - and winged it the rest of the time. We don't mind QS meals (especially the nicer places in WS) and cooked easy meals at the camper that I'd planned ahead for.

We were able to get TS meals with little to no wait during the week at DTD, and the find of the trip was the Kona Sushi Bar - which was a walk up every time, had great sushi and where you can order off the regular Kona Cafe menu too! We ate there at least 3 times.

We were able to eat well (including a few very nice dinners at our favorite places) and still average only about $30-40 total per day for food the entire 3 weeks we were there. Which is what we were shooting for, and which also allowed us to add another week to our trip.

We usually do not do the dining plan.  When we go in December 2012 (Lord willing), we'll be getting the DDP.  We plan on several character dinners, CRT, and HDDMR.  We'll be much better off by getting the DDP. 

Under normal circumstances, we wouldn't.

I agree that it completely depends on where you plan on eating.

Once we have to pay the adult rate for all 7 of us it will so not be worth it for us.  We would probably have to get a couple of rooms at one of the VR for it to be worth it...that is when they offer the free dining and only when the free dining is offered.  Just not sure we could do the crowds then.

We went without the DDP last Spring, even though we were in a resort. We can easily feed all 5 of us for 2-3 CS meals, and we used our Visa points and a $500 gift card from WDW to pay for the TS meals we ate. When we used the DDP we had several credits left over, even though we ate like pigs all week, so it didn't seem to make sense money-wise.

We have not done the DDP in some years. Instead, since we have AP's we do TIW. If we are there only a week or so, we eat out mostly. Usually, my DW & I will eat a light breakfast, then for the rest of the day we will split a CS meal and eat one big TS meal and use TIW.

If we are there for 2 weeks, we eat out about 50% of the time. We are big on the crock pot or pre-made & frozen type meals.

We do like to eat out, because it is half the fun with some of the restaurants DW has to offer. When we are at one of the parks and it is meal time, we refer to it as going to the food ride. :argh:

We did the DDP when we stayed at All star Music in June and did not for Christmas at FW.  After experiencing both ways of eating at WDW, I think we decided that it depends on the link of the stay and if we are planning a Character meal.  My husband likes to cook but also likes to be free some of the time while on vacation from cooking.  We also really liked the food we had at WDW... I guess it will depend on how he feels when I book the trip. 

The only real negative is ADR's.  Both trips we booked with only a few weeks or a few months before the trip.  I had problems getting some of my ADR's 3 months out.. would hate to have done it with 3 weeks.  I also hate to stop what I am doing to ensure I am somewhere else at a certain time... means a lot of park planning.