Good grief...what have I got myself into?...

I bought a Disney SE-270D embroidery/sewing machine about 6 months ago. It's lovely to look at...cause that's about all I do with it! LOL! I know how to sew (a little) and figured I'd just jump in and get this and I'd self-teach myself!

So, today, I got out the manual and decided I'd try to use some of my files that I bought from Etsy to make T's for our upcoming trip to Disney. Well...dumby me of course hasn't read the instructions until now and I guess I need a PED design-basic software add on thingy to embroider my designs.  :banana:

I've got 3 weeks to learn how to use this thing and make some T's. Think I can do it?

I bought a Disney SE-270D embroidery/sewing machine about 6 months ago. It's lovely to look at...cause that's about all I do with it! LOL! I know how to sew (a little) and figured I'd just jump in and get this and I'd self-teach myself!

So, today, I got out the manual and decided I'd try to use some of my files that I bought from Etsy to make T's for our upcoming trip to Disney. Well...dumby me of course hasn't read the instructions until now and I guess I need a PED design-basic software add on thingy to embroider my designs.  :banana:

I've got 3 weeks to learn how to use this thing and make some T's. Think I can do it?

I have a husqvarna designer 1. It took a little bit to learn the diigitizing software but if I can do it anyone can. Let me know if I can help you out.

oohhhh.. I been eye balling one of those for a while,  I have no sewing skills what so ever however, let me know if you figure it out!

Got mine from Ebay...works good, except with the automatic threader...it has it's moments!

So, today, I got out the manual and decided I'd try to use some of my files that I bought from Etsy to make T's for our upcoming trip to Disney. Well...dumby me of course hasn't read the instructions until now and I guess I need a PED design-basic software add on thingy to embroider my designs.  :(

I have a husqvarna designer 1. It took a little bit to learn the diigitizing software but if I can do it anyone can. Let me know if I can help you out.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions...It scares me...I just sit and look at it. I wish it would just do what I want it to do without me having to do anything to it to figure it out!  :rofl2:

When I first got mine it was easy to figure out the embroidery that was already on the cards. But I wanted to do my own designs. There was nobody in the area that was teaching it yet so I had to teach myself. The first night I tried it I went to bed crying. The second night I apologized to Mike for spending money on something I couldn't figure out.

I was driving myself crazy. Believe it or not the third night I went to bed with digitizing running through my mind, I even was dreaming it. Then in the middle of the night I jumped out of bed, yelling I got it. I went right to the computer . Did a little of this clicked here and there saved it and went to the sewing machine and stitched out my first ever digitized project. I was happy dancing all over the house.

The lesson here is don't over think it. Relax and walk away for a while if you get frustrated. Once you figure it all out you will have a blast.

So, today, I got out the manual and decided I'd try to use some of my files that I bought from Etsy to make T's for our upcoming trip to Disney. Well...dumby me of course hasn't read the instructions until now and I guess I need a PED design-basic software add on thingy to embroider my designs.  :rofl2:

I have a Singer Futura and the best advice I can give you is just get in there and play with it. Stitch up everything that came with your machine...thats the best way to learn your machine. It should have come with preloaded Disney designs, so thats a good place to start.  I always go cheap when I buy something big, but my dh talked me into buying a thread set and a stabilizer collection. I didn't want to spend the money, but he was right. I had everything I needed to learn and play with my new machine. Once you start using it, you're going to love it.

Stabilize, stabilize, stabilize. And use the good stuff. It makes all the difference. I also use Gutterman on my bobbin and only Robison-Anton textiles threads.  No matter how wonderful the design is if you don't stabilize correctly it won't turn out well.

Thanks for all of the advice!

After researching this stupid machine (which I should have done in the first place but being new to sewing and all, I just jumped in when I saw the Disney one)...I found it has lots of issues (thread breaks easily and it only likes certain kinds, automatic threader never works, etc) so I put it up on Ebay yesterday for sale. Once it sells, I'm looking at getting a new Brother embroidery machine and hooks to the computer via USB cord and works with Mac's. I'd have to invest another $200 into the Disney machine for an extra part in order to be able to download new designs and I think that I'd have too much into a basic embroidery machine if I did that.

I'm hoping it sells soon...time is ticking and I so want T's made before I go.

You'll really like one that hooks to your computer with a usb cord it will give you alot more freedom in downloading embroidery files.  Some features to look for are different sized hoops, you really need at least two. Mine has two hoops, a 5 x 7 and a smaller one but I wish I could use a larger hoop on my machine. What I do like about my machine is that I can use any embroidery format for stitching and it came with software that lets me use any font on my computer for lettering and do some simple digitizing.  My automatic threader is not as good as the Brother machine but it works fine for me. Whatever machine you get, always use good needles (change about every 6 hours of stitching), good  embroidery thread and good bobbin thread. You don't really have to know how to sew... its more of getting everything organized and set up and the machine does all the work.

You'll really like one that hooks to your computer with a usb cord it will give you alot more freedom in downloading embroidery files.  Some features to look for are different sized hoops, you really need at least two. Mine has two hoops, a 5 x 7 and a smaller one but I wish I could use a larger hoop on my machine. What I do like about my machine is that I can use any embroidery format for stitching and it came with software that lets me use any font on my computer for lettering and do some simple digitizing.  My automatic threader is not as good as the Brother machine but it works fine for me. Whatever machine you get, always use good needles (change about every 6 hours of stitching), good  embroidery thread and good bobbin thread. You don't really have to know how to sew... its more of getting everything organized and set up and the machine does all the work.

The one I'm looking at is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE400-Computerized-Embroidery-Machine/dp/B003AVMZA4/ref=tpi_image_17?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=467656451&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=19TDEKQPWFESKVZZ4VHW&pf_rd_i=13380691

It says it will only embroider a 4x4 design but if I use a bigger hoop, I can combine several designs together to get one larger design so I think it will work for what I want it to. I've got several designs that I bought from Etsy and I'm so excited to use them and figure out what I'm doing!  :rofl2:

Looks very nice. I don't have a Brother but they are good machines. Just watch out once you get it all figured out you wll have friends crawling out of the woodwork wanting you to embroider something for them. I finally had to start asking them to help buy supplies in trade for an embroidery project :rofl2:

That one looks nice. Check the Brother website and see if they offer any more accessories, I know they have free embroidery downloads. There are several good websites that sell aftermarket hoops and I think Brother is one of the brands they make extra hoops for. Of course, they don't make one for my machine...but I have successfully rehooped to cover a larger area and the finished product turned out very nice.  Doodlebug, I know what you mean!  I am always biting off more than I can chew with my embroidery machine. I've made embroidered bags for every club we're in and now I'm hiding. ::)

Stabilize, stabilize, stabilize. And use the good stuff. It makes all the difference. I also use Gutterman on my bobbin and only Robison-Anton textiles threads.  No matter how wonderful the design is if you don't stabilize correctly it won't turn out well.

us professional types call it backing :D

and yes, if you don't use the right crap, you end up with crap

if you need some help, let me know

I have been doing this professionally, and with that Disney machine, for 20 years

Jen...I so hate to part with my Disney one, even though I haven't used it! LOL! I like looking at Mickey on the machine...makes you happy! Just don't want to invest anymore money in it to do what I want it to do. :banana:

I went ahead and ordered the other Brother machine...should be here in the next couple of days. I'm determined to figure this thing out this weekend and get those shirts made! If not for the entire family, for the kids at least!

Has your new machine come yet? I'm excited for you....my machine was the best toy I ever bought. I use it all the time.

Yep, you're right, best toy I ever bought! I'm hooked! Took me about a day to figure it all out but I'm an embroidery fool! I can go up to a 5x7 size and I already see myself outgrowing this machine!

I've done 3 t's so far...the first one was a bust as I didn't put it high enough on the Tshirt but my 3 year old can wear it as a nightshirt!  :moon:

I'm been buying digital files off Etsy of Disney or Mickey stuff and I'm even making the dog a few t's!  :grpwelcome:

I'll post pics later this week when I'm done with all of them!

Has your new machine come yet? I'm excited for you....my machine was the best toy I ever bought. I use it all the time.

Yep, you're right, best toy I ever bought! I'm hooked! Took me about a day to figure it all out but I'm an embroidery fool! I can go up to a 5x7 size and I already see myself outgrowing this machine!

I've done 3 t's so far...the first one was a bust as I didn't put it high enough on the Tshirt but my 3 year old can wear it as a nightshirt!  :dance:

I'm been buying digital files off Etsy of Disney or Mickey stuff and I'm even making the dog a few t's!  :grpwelcome:

Glad you are having so much fun. Do plan on ever digitizing your own designs? That is really addictive. I actually like the designing more than the stitching. :moon:

I've done 3 t's so far...the first one was a bust as I didn't put it high enough on the Tshirt but my 3 year old can wear it as a nightshirt!  :)

I'm been buying digital files off Etsy of Disney or Mickey stuff and I'm even making the dog a few t's!  :banana:

Glad you are having so much fun. Do plan on ever digitizing your own designs? That is really addictive. I actually like the designing more than the stitching. :banana:

Yes, that's what I want to do next. Just need to find a software that will work with a Mac. I think I saw where Embird (?) makes a version.

I also want to use the machine for my cookie jars and canister sets that I make. I hand embroider or primitive stitch each label and I've got over 7 cookie jars to make for Mother's day and my hand is going to get really tired! :rofl2:

I've done 3 t's so far...the first one was a bust as I didn't put it high enough on the Tshirt but my 3 year old can wear it as a nightshirt!  :)

I'm been buying digital files off Etsy of Disney or Mickey stuff and I'm even making the dog a few t's!  :banana:

Glad you are having so much fun. Do plan on ever digitizing your own designs? That is really addictive. I actually like the designing more than the stitching. :rofl2:

Yes, that's what I want to do next. Just need to find a software that will work with a Mac. I think I saw where Embird (?) makes a version.

I also want to use the machine for my cookie jars and canister sets that I make. I hand embroider or primitive stitch each label and I've got over 7 cookie jars to make for Mother's day and my hand is going to get really tired! :)

Having an embroidery machine is going to make your life so much easier.  You will be asking yourself what took you so long :banana: :rofl2: