When we can't get into the Fort, we have stayed at Tropical Palms. It is on 192 about 5 miles from WDW. Nice campground, with friendly staff. Very close to "Old Town Kissimmee" where they have classic car shows, neat little shops, live bands, and cobblestone streets the old cars cruise down.

I've thought about staying there from time to time.  I have friended them up on Facebook.  It looks like they have a fair amount of activities going on there.

• 1 month later...

We usually head down one day early and stay in a nearby CG, so as to be rested and ready for the fort the next day. We have stayed in Tropical Palms and Fort Summit KOA. Can someone tell me about Lake Magic RV Resort or perhaps some other close CG. Thanks in advance.  H

Not as close as Tropical Palms, but Lake Louisa State Park is just north of I-4 on Hwy. 27. Would be good for an overnighter and relatively inexpensive compared to private campgrounds. Easy drive to the fort from there.

Not as close as Tropical Palms, but Lake Louisa State Park is just north of I-4 on Hwy. 27. Would be good for an overnighter and relatively inexpensive compared to private campgrounds. Easy drive to the fort from there.

Thanks for the tip on Louisa State park. We will check it out.    H

Well we made ressies for one nite 6-26-11 at Lake Magic on HWY 192, we will take pics and relay the good, bad and ugly.  :rofl2:

We have stayed @ Tropical Palms and thought it was nice, we liked the sites in the back they were larger. Last year we stayed at Thousand Trails as we are members, could have stayed there the whole time but no magic there. For anyone interested you can join Passport America for I think $49 a year and now get sites at Thaousand Trails or any Encore park for half price just not sure what restrictions there, they might vary by park might be worth checking into. The nice thing is you can renew or let membership expire in Passport and rejoin later when the need arises.

• 1 month later...