From the Disney Food blog. I love the grown up grilled cheese here with homemade chips, and of course MAKE YOUR OWN DOLE WHIP!

Review: Captain Cook’s Snack Company

May 22nd, 2011 by AJ.

There are two important things you need to know about Captain Cook’s Snack Company and why I consider it to be one of Disney’s best kept secrets:

1. It offers two of Disney’s most beloved menu items — Tonga Toast and Dole Whips.

2. It’s open 24. Hours.

Those two are reason enough to visit, but when you add in the fact that the place serves up some pretty unique and delicious eats, there’s no reason NOT to escape the crazy of the Magic Kingdom for a quick boat ride over to the Polynesian Resort and a visit to Captain Cook’s.

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-114-500x165.jpg

Entrance Sign

Atmosphere

This joint looks pretty much like a fast-food location decorated in stereotypical Hawaiian style. Because that’s what it is. But it’s also so much more!

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-115-500x375.jpg

Counter-Service Restaurant

It was one of the first locations to pioneer the cool touch-screen ordering systems, which I find to be very efficient! More on the menus later…

3-19-DSSM-210-500x333.jpg

Enter here to place order

3-19-DSSM-211-267x400.jpg

Order Here!

3-19-DSSM-207-500x333.jpg

Flatbread Ordering Screen

3-19-DSSM-208-500x333.jpg

Completed Order

Once you’ve ordered, simply head over to get your buzzer and pick up any of the other items you might need from the bakery or the refrigerated section of the shop.

3-19-DSSM-212-500x333.jpg

Food Prep

Then, head over to the check-out counter with your receipt and any other items you might need. I always find the cast members here to be super nice. Must be that “Island” relaxation. icon_wink.gif

3-19-DSSM-214-267x400.jpg

Pay Here!

Once you’ve paid, take a seat indoors at the Hawaiian themed tables, or head outside to enjoy the evening, the beach, and perhaps the fireworks over at Magic Kingdom!

3-19-DSSM-2151-500x333.jpg

Tables at Captain Cook's

Eats

The menu here isn’t extensive, but there are many unique options.

3-19-DSSM-209-500x333.jpg

Menu

I like that they even have screens on the ordering system specifically for vegetarian items and for the kids’ menu.

kids-menu-500x331.jpg

Captain Cook's Kids' Menu

veggie-menu-500x240.jpg

Vegetarian Menu

entrees-500x501.jpg

Entrees

drinks-menu-500x375.jpg

Drinks Menu

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-117-450x550.jpg

click for larger version

In the refrigerated section, you can pick up different kinds of sushi from the Kona Island Sushi Bar upstairs, and drinks.

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-129-300x400.jpg

Luau Crab Roll

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-130-300x400.jpg

Spicy Shrimp Roll

Personally, I knew I had to get that yummy Grown-Up (or “Adult”) Grilled Cheese sandwich! It features cheddar, swiss, and Boursin cheeses and is served on multi-grain sunflower bread — amazing!! The tangy strength of the cheeses paired with that yummy sunflower bread is a perfect marriage of comfort food and new tastes.

3-19-DSSM-228-500x333.jpg

Adult Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Along with it, we sampled the Hawaiian Flatbread, which had ham, pineapple, tomato sauce, mozzarella, onions, and parmesan. Once again — a great choice! Check out all that crispy, melty cheese! And the sweet pineapple with the savory ham, tomato sauce, and cheeses gave us lots of different tastes to enjoy. Definitely not your typical burger-and-fries meal!

3-19-DSSM-225-500x333.jpg

Flatbread and Fries

While we didn’t indulge in the bakery items, there are plenty to choose from — even late at night. And those cookies, brownies, and cupcakes really are as big as they look!!

3-19-DSSM-230-434x550.jpg

click for larger version

3-19-DSSM-229-500x333.jpg

Bakery Items

bakery.jpg

Yummy looking Strudel-y Bakery Item

To the side of the restaurant, you’ll find plenty of serve-yourself drink options: coffee, tea, and soda-pop. Don’t forget that you can purchase and refill your resort refillable mug here.

3-19-DSSM-216-500x333.jpg

Coffee and Creamer

3-19-DSSM-217-500x333.jpg

Beverage Station

But, saving the best for last, we had to have our Dole Whip! Captain Cook’s has a self-serve Dole Whip location!! A dream come true! I wonder how much it would cost me to have one of these in my house…

SSRgym-RagRd-CaptCook-132-500x375.jpg

Self Serve Dole Whip

3-19-DSSM-234-500x324.jpg

Dole Whip

3-19-DSSM-237-367x550.jpg

Pineapple Dole Whip

Overall

I hope I’ve convinced you that this place is truly special. Don’t forget the Tonga Toast breakfast here, folks — which costs less and is a faster bet than if you got it upstairs at the Kona Cafe!

Really, Captain Cook’s is more than the sum of its parts. A counter-service spot that’s open all night, serves Dole Whips and unique items like Grown-Up Grilled Cheese, and has an exit that takes you (and your food) out to the gorgeous Polynesian beach to catch the fireworks…for free…is pretty amazing. I always envy you Polynesian-stayers!! icon_wink.gif

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/05/22/review-captain-cooks-snack-company/#more-27764

I've only been there because of the dole whip, but some of the stuff looks good, so I may have to make a trip over there for lunch sometime.

• 3 weeks later...