From the Disney Food blog...

Challenge: The Disney Food Blog WDW “Cupcake Crawl”

May 30th, 2011 by AJ.

You’ve heard about the Monorail Crawl, Erin just created the Epcot Candy Crawl, and some of you have even attempted “drinking around the World” Showcase, but to my knowledge, this particular mission has never been attempted. It’s a feat only for the strong. A challenge for your sweet tooth. It’s the Cupcake Crawl!

That’s right. Those of you who live for cream cheese frosting, chocolate, cheesecake, and pure decadence — this one is for YOU! Are you brave enough to try it?

Cupcake-Crawl-Map-500x286.jpg

Cupcake Crawl Map -- click for larger image

The Disney Food Blog’s “Walt Disney World Cupcake Crawl” Strategy

Here’s the plan. You can either follow this step by step or mix and match, but be sure to visit these five locations and eat 10 different cupcakes by the end of the Crawl! (We understand if it takes you two days on your first try. It takes a while to build up a tolerance.)

By the way, most of these can be purchased for a Disney Dining Plan snack credit, so save up those snacks!

DISNEY’S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS: Cupcakes required = 4

While we still have strength and energy, we’re going to start at the mecca of cupcakes…Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ Starring Rolls Cafe, which closes early. That unfortunate bit of information can cause a sneak attack on your cupcake crawl if you leave it to visit at the end!

Starring Rolls Cafe

Here you’ll find a few of Disney’s most fantastic cupcakes, including the Butterfinger Cupcake, Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake, and the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake. Note that this spot closes at 4pm each day, so get here early or face Cupcake Crawl failure! Here are your targets in this location:

red-velvet-cupcake-at-DHS-300x334.jpg

Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake

• Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcake: A towering dark chocolate delight. It doesn’t look like there’s any peanut butter in there, but wait until you taste the frosting!
  • Red Velvet Cheesecake Cupcake: This fluffy confection is anything but light. Rich red velvet cake is covered in heavy cream cheese frosting. It’s all topped with a dollop of real cheesecake.
  • Butterfinger Cupcake: One of our favorites, this mountain of a cupcake couples chocolate cake and chocolate fudge filling with that fabulous lard-y buttercream frosting. It’s all covered in Butterfinger candy crumbles.
  • Marble Cupcake: One of Disney’s prettiest confections, you’ll find marbled vanilla and white cake stuffed with chocolate fudge and covered in buttercream. A chocolate fudge topper completes the dessert.

DHS-150-150x150.jpg contemp-laundry-ohana-starringrolls-backstageexp-209-150x150.jpg DHS-163-150x150.jpg

DISNEY’S BOARDWALK: Cupcakes required = 2

Exit Hollywood Studios and take the boat to the Boardwalk Resort. Better yet, walk off those cupcakes while strolling over to the Boardwalk! The Boardwalk Bakery is your next stop on this sweet journey.

Peanut-Butter-Cupcake-2-350x398.jpg

Peanut Butter Cupcake

Boardwalk Bakery

Recently jumping up the list in cupcake importance, the Boardwalk Bakery changes out its seasonal cupcakes, so you never know what you’re going to get! The goal here is get two different cupcakes (if possible) from this location. Here are a few to choose from:

• Oreo Bon Bon Cupcake: A fluffy, chocolate cake confection is stuffed with cookies and cream buttercream icing and topped with vanilla. A bit too “whipped creamy” for our taste, but still a force to be reckoned with.
  • Peanut Butter Cupcake: One of our favorite cupcakes of all time, this one should give you back your edge to be sure. Especially if peanut butter frosting the consistency of cookie dough is up your ally… YUM!!!!
  • Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake: A lighter choice for those of you already starting to falter, this summery treat (a seasonal item) might just feel a bit less heavy in your tummy. Especially since the filling is strawberries instead of frosting. Note — this one also includes a hint of Grand Marnier, so don’t be surprised if you get carded icon_wink.gif

Oreio-Cupcake-Up-Close-150x150.jpg Strawberry-Shortcake-Cupcake-112x150.jpg

DISNEY’S ANIMAL KINGDOM: Cupcakes required = 2

Head over to the Boardwalk Inn’s bus stop and catch a ride to Disney’s Animal Kingdom for the next stop on our cupcake tour! Because this park often closes early, make sure you’re headed over by 3pm at the latest!

Zebra-side-225x300.jpg

Zebra Cupcake

Once there, head to Africa and hightail it to Kusafiri Bakery.

Kusafiri Bakery

A tucked away bakery, Kusafiri has a few of our favorite “wild” cupcakes. Here are your targets on this leg of the journey:

• White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake: The only Disney cupcake we know of with a full-fledged chocolate-molded animal on top, the White Chocolate Elephant Cupcake pairs rich frosting with chocolate cake and toasted coconut. This one also packs the center with frosting, so be ready!
  • Zebra Cupcake: This pretty, modern-art-like confection is Zebra-y in a very contemporary way. Stripes of white and dark chocolate are shaved and placed on the cupcake to give the “essence” of Zebra. icon_wink.gif We just like the super-thick frosting on top!

whitechocolatecupcake-150x150.jpg

DISNEY’S WILDERNESS LODGE: Cupcakes required = 1

From Animal Kingdom, grab a bus to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge! This relaxing oasis is one of our favorite resorts, and it just became even more favorite with the introduction of two new cupcakes in 2011! Your target location here is Roaring Fork counter-service location.

smores-cupcake1-350x372.jpg

S'mores Cupcake

Roaring Fork

Walk all the way through the lobby at Wilderness Lodge and down toward the pool area to get to this counter-service spot. A cozy location with walls made out of “rock,” the cupcakes can be found in the bakery shelves toward the back of the restaurant. While these might not always be available, there should be at least one flavor there so that you can meet your Crawl quota!

• Carrot Cake Cupcake: Probably my favorite cupcake to date, this new addition couples a decent carrot cake base with some of the best cream cheese frosting I’ve found in Disney World — and in copious amounts. Now, understand that the cake part doesn’t matter all that much to me, so for those of you who want excellent cake, this might not be YOUR favorite…
  • S’mores Cupcake: An innovative and thoroughly enjoyable treat, this cupcake offers a graham cracker-flavored cake with toasted marshmallow frosting (no kidding!!). You’ll find a few Hershey Bar squares in the center of the cake as well — brilliant!! The marshmallow makes it a lighter (if stickier) dessert.

carrot-cake-cupcake-100x150.jpg

EPCOT: Cupcakes required = 1

From the Wilderness Lodge, take a bus to Epcot for the last stop on the crawl. You’re headed to Karamell Küche in the Germany pavilion of the World Showcase.

FW1-Karamell-120-1-300x449.jpg

Karamell Kuche vanilla cupcake

Karamell Küche

This brand new shop in Germany is sponsored by Werther’s and specializes in all things caramel, including some gorgeous cupcakes.

• Vanilla Caramel and Chocolate Caramel Cupcakes: These treats are topped with frosting the same flavor as their cakes, then drizzled with Werthers’ incredible caramel! A feast for the eyes and the stomach. Pick up either one to complete your Crawl!

Will you try it?

So what do you think? Is this on your list for your next visit? With only five stops and ten cupcakes overall, it’s not impossible! Let us know what you think!

And to see more of our favorite sweet treats, head over to our Disney World Cupcakes page!

Thanks to Michael S. for the heads’ up and reviews of the Strawberry Shortcake and Carrot Cake cupcakes and to Melissa Nute for the heads’ up on the S’mores Cupcake.

http://www.disneyfoo...-cupcake-crawl/

:yourekillinme: I'm supposed to be on a diet! Since I now want something sweet though I'm thinking a margarita crawl would make those cupcakes even more tasty...

:yourekillinme: I'm supposed to be on a diet! Since I now want something sweet though I'm thinking a margarita crawl would make those cupcakes even more tasty...

You are talking my language. Margaritas! I'll buy the first round. :popcorn: