Caramel Covered Shortbread In Epcot

From the Disney Food blog, 2 of my favorite things... caramel and shortbread!

mmmmmmmmm..........

Snack Series: Caramel Covered Shortbread in Epcot

Jun 2nd, 2011 by AJ. Over at Epcot’s Karamell Küche in the Germany pavilion, there are endless treats to try…as we all know.

outside-300x449.jpg

The caramel smell hits you like a wave when you walk into the shop, and I sincerely suggest you eat before you stop in, because if you’re even the least big hungry, I promise that your eyes will be significantly bigger than your stomach…as mine were a couple of weeks ago!

Stopping in to get a bit of information about how the caramel corn is made (my Dad needed the details as he’s working very hard on duplicating the recipe! Yay!), I, of course, had to check out the display cases. And I saw this.

Caramel-Shortbread-500x333.jpg

I know I’ve seen it before, but it never called out to me like it did on this visit. (You know how that is…when food calls out to you…right? No?) Sweet, gooey caramel layered onto a lovely piece of shortbread. Shortbread crumbles on top. Simple, yet pretty freaking perfect, wouldn’t you say?

Caramel-Shortbread-cross-section-500x275.jpgCaramel Shortbread cross section

I made a snap decision to grab it, and I was SO glad I did. You see, things like this get overlooked compared to the more flashy items in the candy counter. They also put these on a lower shelf toward the end of the row, so many folks have already chosen what they’re going to buy before they even see these little beauties. But I mean LOOK at that! It’s like heaven!

And don’t let the simplicity or the location fool you. I’m pretty sure this is one of my favorite treats to date from Karamell Küche. The salty-sweet of both the caramel and the shortbread offer fantastic flavor, both tastes are as rich as can be, and the juxtaposition of texture in this treat makes it even more compelling. Look for this one. You won’t be sorry!

Have you tried this or another one of the treats from Germany’s newest candy kitchen? Let us know about it in the comments below!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/06/02/snack-series-caramel-covered-shortbread-in-epcot/