From the Disney Food blog...

Review: Coral Reef Restaurant

Jun 12th, 2011 by AJ.

At long last, Coral Reef is finally getting its due on the Disney Food Blog! The last time I visited this restaurant was when I was much, much younger, so I knew it was time to give it a try again. It’s been through a lot of changes, but, from what I can tell, the basics are still the same…

Atmosphere

Coral Reef is one of only a couple of table-service restaurants located in Epcot’s Future World. You’ll find it hidden in the Seas With Nemo and Friends (The Living Seas for those who used to visit in the 80s), tucked back in the right-hand corner. You really need to want to find it; you won’t just stumble over this restaurant by mistake! But after all these years, the sign is still very similar to what it was way back when, so those who have a tinge of Epcot nostalgia like me will be very pleased…

Coral-Reef-sign-500x333.jpg

Upon entering the restaurant (using the seahorse door handle of course), you’ll find that the place is themed — as it should be — but in a very stylized manner. Walls and flooring are undulating as if you’re under water. Light fixtures resemble coral and shells. Glass fish sculptures sit inside lit alcoves behind the check-in desk.

Coral-Reef-Door-Handle-367x550.jpg

Door Handle

Coral-Reef-Hallway-367x550.jpg

Entrance Hallway

Coral-Reef-Light-Fixture-367x550.jpg

Light Fixture

Coral-Reef-Hallway-Decor-323x550.jpg

Fish Sculptures

Coral-Reef-Shell-Sign-500x333.jpg

Environmentally Safe Shell Sign And when they tell you to “go to the Octopus when your buzzer goes off,” they mean this guy…

Coral-Reef-Octopus-367x550.jpg

Coral Reef Octopus But, remember, you’re just in the entrance hall! You haven’t even seen the main event, yet.

Once your buzzer goes off and you “meet at the Octopus,” you’ll be led down a hallway into the main dining room. It’s understandable that they keep this spot so far away from the actual restaurant entrance. It truly is a spectacular reveal at the end of that hallway.

Stepped, “theater-style” seating is situated around a massive wall of windows, but these windows don’t give you a gorgeous view of outdoor vistas. These windows (which happen to be highly pressurized, thank goodness) give guests a view of the massive aquarium that takes up a majority of the Seas pavilion.

Coral-Reef-Dining-Room-500x333.jpg

Coral Reef Dining Room

Coral-Reef-Dining-Room-2-500x333.jpg

Coral Reef Dining Room I snuck in before they started seating people for lunch and caught a glimpse of this guy swimming down to greet me!

Coral-Reef-tortoise-500x335.jpg

Coral Reef Sea Turtle And, just so you know, this is how close he can potentially be to your dinner!

Coral-Reef-tortoise-2-422x550.jpg

Proximity of Animals to Diners at Coral Reef Yes, those “window” tables are extremely sought after real estate. But just remember that if you’re sitting there, everyone else’s kids will be very close to you as you dine. Many of them can’t help themselves and want to be as close to the fish as possible. icon_wink.gif

Eats

The menu here focuses on seafood, and reviews have been all over the map in recent years.

Coral-Reef-Lunch-and-Dinner-Menus-500x437.jpg

Lunch and Dinner Menus -- click image to see larger version

Coral-Reef-Kids-Menu-500x534.jpg

Kids Menu -- click image to see larger version We started with some yummy complimentary bread, and I ordered the soup of the day ($6.99) — Butternut Squash of course (as it was everywhere else on that particular Disney World visit as well) — and a drink called “Into the Abyss,” which, you guys know me by now, had some sweet and sour in it. icon_wink.gif

The drink was lovely; I’m pretty sure I sucked it down in about 3 minutes flat. And the soup was actually quite good. By this time, I’d had at least four other versions of Butternut Squash soup all around Disney World property, and this was probably my favorite! It wasn’t too thick, which I liked, and it came with a swath of melty, flavored butter on top — always a winning move! The flavor was delicate, not hearty, which gave it a lighter, summery feel. Perfect as an opener for a heavy meal.

Coral-Reef-Bread-and-Butter-367x550.jpg

Bread and Butter

Coral-Reef-Abyss-Drink-367x550.jpg

Abyss Drink

Coral-Reef-Butternut-Squash-Soup-500x333.jpg

Butternut Squash Soup We also ordered the Appetizer for Two, which included Crab Cakes with Tropical Fruit Salsa and Tequila Aioli; Grilled Shrimp with Cucumber Salad and Barbecued Beef Tenderloin Skewer with Creamy Polenta; and Creamy Lobster Soup in the little cups ($16.99).

I really loved the presentation of this appetizer, and, truthfully, it was probably enough food for a meal! We loved the beef tenderloin and polenta; the crab cakes were quite good (didn’t compare to Narcoossee’s, though); and the shrimp was — we think — fine. Neither of us are big shrimp eaters, though. I wish I could comment on the Tequila Aioli as it sounds really cool, but we didn’t really taste much in it. The Creamy Lobster Soup? Amazing! They do soup somethin’ fierce around here.

Coral-Reef-Appetizer-for-Two-500x333.jpg

Crab Cakes with Tropical Fruit Salsa and Tequila Aioli; Grilled Shrimp with Cucumber Salad and Barbecued Beef Tenderloin Skewer with Cream Polenta; and Creamy Lobster Soup Next up — our entrees. We ordered the house specialty — Lobster Ravioli with Bay Scallops, fresh Tarragon, and Lobster Cream ($25.99) and the Grilled New York Strip Steak with Horseradish Smashed Pootatoes and Market Fresh Vegetables ($28.99).

The Lobster Ravioli was very flavorful, creamy, and filling. Extremely rich. If you’re planning to head out of Coral Reef and do a bunch of park touring, think again. This is the type of dish that makes an impact!

Coral-Reef-Lobster-Ravioli-500x333.jpg

Lobster Ravioli

Coral-Reef-lobster-inside-500x333.jpg

Lobster Ravioli Cross Section The strip steak, which I was excited about as I’d heard raves, was really just “OK.” There wasn’t a lot of flavor, and there was a bit too much char, which I’m not a fan of on my steak. Perhaps I was just too filled up from the appetizers and knocked out by the richness of the Lobster Ravioli, but the steak didn’t seem all that special to me on this visit. That’s not to say it won’t be on yours, however! Plenty of patrons heartily recommend this dish.

Coral-Reef-steak-500x333.jpg

Strip Steak For dessert, we ordered the house specialty Chocolate Wave and the butterscotch creme brulee (both $7.99).

Coral-Reef-dessert-menu-500x510.jpg

Dessert menu -- click for larger image

Coral-Reef-dessert-menu-2-425x550.jpg

Dessert Drinks -- click for larger image I really loved the taste of the chocolate wave, but I have to admit, I wished that the “lava” on the inside was chocolate. It wasn’t a taste thing — it was a visual thing. The clear “lava” that appeared when the cake was cut was unexpected and a bit unappetizing. I know. I’m weird.

Coral-Reef-The-Wave-500x333.jpgChocolate Wave

Coral-Reef-the-wave-inside-500x333.jpg

Chocolate Wave Cross Section The creme brulee was great. You just can’t go wrong with butterscotch, and I love flavored creme brulees!

Coral-Reef-creme-brulee-500x333.jpg

Butterscotch Creme Brulee

Overall

I spent a lot of time talking about the atmosphere here, because I think that’s really the true draw. While the food is fine, it wasn’t spectacular on my visit; and from what I’ve heard from others, it can be inconsistent — sometimes the best meal they’ve ever eaten, sometimes extremely overpriced for what you get.

That said, I think Coral Reef has definitely gotten better in recent years. Just know that you could very well hit it on an off day.

http://www.disneyfoo...eef-restaurant/

I had lunch there just yesterday!!!

Yummy!! Got a reservation online about 90 minutes before I ate there. I had the fresh soup of the day which was a Corn Chowder, then I had the Appetizer for two as my entree. Instead of the beef thingy, I had double on the shrimp.

Great service, delicious food. I've NEVER had a bad experience there!!

• 2 weeks later...