How would you handle this ticket problem?

Last year I purchased a 10-day hopper with the No-Expiration option. Our first night down there was the night for us to go to Mickey's Christmas Party for which we needed to purchase an individual ticket to. While purchasing the ticket for the Christmas party, I told the CM at the window that I had left my No-Expiration tickets at the fort but had decided that I would eventually like to upgrade them to include the "Water Park" option. The CM said that I could upgrade the No-Expiration passes ANYTIME as long as there was at least 1 day left on it. She said there was no time limit involved because they were "No expiration". We thanked her and went on to have a great time at the parade. Over the course of the next few days we only used our No-expiration passes 1 day. We stayed at the Fort and enjoyed the rest of our time there. Fast forward to the present. My DH and I are visiting DW next week :banana: but will be staying at the AllStars with our grandkids. (Too short of a stay to drive down). Anyway, I have a friend who has the No-expiration tickets and she said that I will NOT be able to upgrade them to include the water park option because I only had a 14-day window from the first day's use to do this. She said she learned this the hard way too). Anyway, I called Disney (the number they give for ticket information) and was again told by the CM that I could update it ANY time. I took her name and said thanks. I then decided to search the site and lo and behold did find a rule that states we needed to upgrade within 14 days of the first use. :argh: Now I am really upset because I would have done this last November if I wasn't given the wrong information. I am sure that even though the CMs are giving out the wrong info, the computer will probably not allow us to upgrade. I am not sure how I should go about solving this problem. Should I try ahead of time or wait until we get there. I will be really disappointed if we are not allowed to upgrade due to being given the wrong info from their staff. I know that the CMs can't know everything, but so far I have been told this wrong information twice! What would you do? (Sorry this is so long)

You're not going to like this, but this is what I found.

Magic Your Way Tickets

Guests are invited to upgrade or modify their existing Magic Your Way Tickets at anytime in person within 14 days from the date of first use, regardless of whether the No Expiration Option is purchased.

After 14 days from the date of first use, no ticket modifications or upgrades may take place.

I've always heard that ticket upgrades can only be made within that 14 day window, but I don't have that on any authority.

Maybe Lou can find something "official" for us on this? [oops - he's quick that Busman!]

Regardless, I'd plead my case to Guest Relations. Personally I'd come at it from the angle of "geez, I wish I'd known as I was fully prepared to upgrade them then" vs the guns a'blazin' "YOUR CM SCREWED UP!"

Even if you were given wrong info on the policy, they might still be willing to help you out if you're cordial about it all.

I usually err on the side of the whole "more flies with honey than vinegar" thing for stuff like this. :)

Just used this tactic myself. Short version - I bought a couple of fish for my aquarium that apparently brought in some parasite that wiped out my entire tank in 5 days - over $200 in fish (never mind they were very cool fish that were hard to find!)

I emailed the owner and explained what happened. I took the angle of giving him a heads up that he may have a problem on his hands and to ask his advice for starting over to ensure the tank was safe.

He offered to help me restock the tank and give me a discount on the chemicals to treat the tank!

I have a feeling had I slammed him with a "YOUR FISH WIPED OUT MY TANK YOU OWE ME" I'd have just gotten the 2 fish replaced and a "sorry, policy..." answer.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

I

Yup, it won't hurt to try, but the policy is clearly defined in the ticket policy section that ticketing CMs are supposed to know & follow.

I'm assuming you've looked to see if it's printed on the ticket.

It's also not a unique situation, happens a lot. That might lessen the chances that they will do it for you. But I would still try it. You might just get an accommodating CM.

I will certainly use the "sugar" approach, because I have pretty much kicked myself for not just buying the water park option from the get-go. :kickinass: Either way, I checked the ticket and it says nothing other than "10-day Park Hopper" and then in smaller print (No expiration). There is no mention in the small print of upgrade policies. I SO wish that I had just upgraded it last year when I used it for the one time, but like I said I DID ask and was told that it didn't matter, and was then told a second time (last week on the phone) that I could certainly upgrade it anytime. I will hope that they are willing to make a compromise with me. Either way, I will certainly not let this take any of my excitement of getting back to Disney! :banana:

In the past, before this newest round of tickets, you could add days or options to a ticket at any time as long as there were unused days left and wasn't an expired ticket. That may be what the CMs you spoke to were thinking of. IMO the MYW are hardly magic my way... maybe it's me, but paying more for less and that feeling of being nickel & dimed, isn't exactly what this old lady considers magical.

That said, CMs at GS can have the flexibility to do magical things... and often do. Like others have suggested, just explain the situation and ask nicely. It never hurts to ask...

If there's no upgrade available now, you might want to check out the waterparks/DQ APs. At $99 for WPs and $129 for WP/DQ combo. It might offer you a better value anyway, depending upon what you have planned in the following year...

I just had a similar situation. I was told by the CM at the Epcot ticket booth that I could upgrade anytime within 14 days to No Expiration. I figured that's what I'd do since I'd be back in 15 days, it'd save some $$, etc. In the meantime I decided to upgrade to an AP. Well, guess what, you can only do that in person at Guest Services - NOT on the phone or online. I just assumed they'd take my $$ and I wouldn't have to work to give it to them.

Well, I called WDW Ticketing and played dumb, asked all the questions, gave her the ticket #, explained that I'd be there in 15 days, not 14 and voila - they changed whatever in the computer and said "No problem. We're sorry about the confusion." They gave me a confirmation # and everything. So my point is, I guess, just try. They're seem to be pretty accommodating.

Hey, if they can give Water Park passes to pool hoppers because Stormalong Bay was too full (!) they can sure as heck SELL you the upgrade past the 14 days. Just make sure that you are at a window with a lot of guests around so there is always the opportunity for a spectacle... which Disney hates. Start with sugar, and facts (like the CM's name), but don't be afraid to embarrass them... you'll never see those people around you again, but Disney sure wants to! Finally, try to drill down to whether the CM you're speaking to has the power to do anything, and if they aren't ask for a manager right away, no need to waste a lot of 'light and heat' on someone who is helpless to address your situation.

OR, people love to do favors for Santa, so you could just bring me along and I'll get your upgrades for you sc_tongue2.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

Hey, if they can give Water Park passes to pool hoppers because Stormalong Bay was too full (!) they can sure as heck SELL you the upgrade past the 14 days. Just make sure that you are at a window with a lot of guests around so there is always the opportunity for a spectacle... which Disney hates. Start with sugar, and facts (like the CM's name), but don't be afraid to embarrass them... you'll never see those people around you again, but Disney sure wants to! Finally, try to drill down to whether the CM you're speaking to has the power to do anything, and if they aren't ask for a manager right away, no need to waste a lot of 'light and heat' on someone who is helpless to address your situation.

OR, people love to do favors for Santa, so you could just bring me along and I'll get your upgrades for you sc_tongue2.gif

ShantaClausSm.png

It's good to have Fiends with a little pull :rofl2:

don't know if this will help…but here goes….

I was there in May…had a MMW ticket for six days….with no hopping….

I went to MK 3 days and Epcot once….so used 4 days….

I thought about upgrading to an AP before leaving…..but didn't….

I thought about it just before the 14 days were up to upgrade….

of course by then I was six hundred miles away from the park….

I called and told them my story….(I have a terminal illness)…

at first I was told I had to go to a park ticket window and do it in person….

I was persistantly nice…and told them how much this means to me…

eventually….I was asked for my MMW card number…and was given a Magic file number and really nice price to upgrade to AP…anytime I get to the park…before the first day I used the original ticket….and of course it will expire one year from the that first day, too….

so….you see….Magic Kingdom….Magic Bus…Magic File….

if you don't ask….no Magic….

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from our 6-day (whirlwind) trip to DW (we had a blast but are exhausted). Anyway, thought I would post an update to my upgrade situation. I am happy to say that Disney handled the situation with the top-notch service they are known for and let us upgrade our tickets to include the water-pass option. I explained to the CM our situation, and he said that he knows some misinformation is given out regarding the no-expiration tickets, so he let us pay for the upgrade without any problems whatsoever :banana: . Pixie dust came our way that day!

Once I figure out how to post pics I will share some from our trip. I wish we were still there !