Crystal River Trip - The Good, The Wet & The Ugly

This was a way cool TR with pics of a place I've never heard of. Makes you wonder how many places out there never get visited, but are gems in the rough.

If it's true the bad experiences make the good experiences feel even better, you might need plastic surgery to remove the smile from your face the next time you visit the fort.

Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a way cool TR with pics of a place I've never heard of. Makes you wonder how many places out there never get visited, but are gems in the rough.

If it's true the bad experiences make the good experiences feel even better, you might need plastic surgery to remove the smile from your face the next time you visit the fort.

Thanks for sharing.

:rofl2: Oh, you don't know how true that is!! I'll just go ahead and call the surgeon now.

Thanks for reading.

I just read through your report. Love those manatee pics. We experienced a lot of rain the first week of our Disney trip. Then like TCD said it dried up and then came back the day before we left. We got to drive through loads of rain on our way home.

I am wondering if we have a little resort camping place similar to that somewhere here in Oklahoma. We actually haven't been camping for too long. My son joined cub scouts a few years ago and the first time we camped was with them in a teeny tiny tent. We loved it! We invested in a bigger tent since we can only tent camp with the scouts and a pop up camper for when we go out as a family. We've only been to a few state parks here in Oklahoma and Arkansas and the Fort. I will have to look into something like that. :)

I'm glad the good outweighed the wet and the ugly. What a beautiful place... it's too bad they aren't keeping it up as well as they could. I absolutely LOVED the manatee pics. How exciting to have one come so close. :)

Thanks Kim. The manatees were definitely the highlight for me. I just wish I was the one in the water with that baby! :heart:

I just read through your report. Love those manatee pics. We experienced a lot of rain the first week of our Disney trip. Then like TCD said it dried up and then came back the day before we left. We got to drive through loads of rain on our way home.

I am wondering if we have a little resort camping place similar to that somewhere here in Oklahoma. We actually haven't been camping for too long. My son joined cub scouts a few years ago and the first time we camped was with them in a teeny tiny tent. We loved it! We invested in a bigger tent since we can only tent camp with the scouts and a pop up camper for when we go out as a family. We've only been to a few state parks here in Oklahoma and Arkansas and the Fort. I will have to look into something like that. :)

Thanks for reading Brandy. It is nice to have a campground so close to home, even if it does need some overhauling. We are either out in the boat or sleeping so the campground isn't a deal breaker. I just picked a bad weekend for trying to sleep! :))

• 3 weeks later...

We took the scenic route (back roads along the water :lol: ) on the way back and I saw my next boat....Lol, yeah right!

crystalriver4th2011120.jpg

The funny thing was on the back of this boat it said "Sea Toy" ::) That's one heck of a toy!

Interesting turn of events. If I could even afford the gas to run this boat, I guess it's possible I could buy it at a good price!

This was in this mornings local paper!

http://www.chronicleonline.com/content/sheriff%E2%80%99s-office-boat-king%E2%80%99s-bay-cove-derelict

Interesting turn of events. If I could even afford the gas to run this boat, I guess it's possible I could buy it at a good price!

This was in this mornings local paper!

http://www.chronicle...y-cove-derelict

S70-

That is, indeed, an interesting turn of events!

I can't believe that beautiful boat has been abandoned since 2009!

The link to the Citrus Chronicle took forever to load. Here's the text of the article for anyone who is interested:

CRYSTAL RIVER — Regulatory efforts are continuing in the hopes of removing a small yacht officials say is abandoned in a small King’s Bay cove.

0804%20A1%20NZ_abandoned_boat.jpg BRIAN LaPETER/Chronicle fileThe Citrus County Sheriff’s Office issued a derelict-vessel citation to Rick Suggs, who owns this boat that is sitting in a King’s Bay cove.Buy this photoThe Citrus County Sheriff’s Office issued a misdemeanor citation to Rick Suggs, the boat’s owner, for having a derelict vessel and not registering the vessel.

Sheriff’s Deputy Andy Cox, who has been instrumental in removing derelict and abandoned boats from King’s Bay, said he can’t touch Suggs’ boat until the case moves through the court process.

“We’re not allowed to board the boat if the owner isn’t there,” Cox said.

The Suggs boat, “Sea Toy,” showed up in the cove on New Year’s Eve 2009 and hasn’t moved since. It sits moored to two posts just behind the home Sarah and Preston Laycock bought in 1976. Mrs. Laycock’s husband of nearly 55 years died June 17.

Frustrated city officials have pleaded with regulatory agencies to move the boat. The Department of Environmental Protection sent Suggs notices of violations and ordered him to remove the boat, but Suggs ignored the order.

The city also said Suggs must move the boat and Suggs sued to overturn that decision. The case is pending and in legal limbo as Suggs also has filed for bankruptcy protection, said his attorney, Clark Stillwell.

Cox said he believes the boat is abandoned. He noted Suggs removed the electronics and control panel from the boat.

“The boat hasn’t moved in about two years,” he said. “I don’t think the vessel can maneuver under its own power.”

Suggs could not be reached for comment. His home phone is disconnected.

Cox said he hopes the boat is moved, but it could take time.

“It can take months. I’ve seen it take longer than months,” Cox said. “When you’re dealing with derelict vessels, there is no quick fix unless an owner removes the vessel on his own accord.”

TCD

Thanks TCD! Of course I just put the link and didn't try to load it. :rolleyes:

What a shame huh? It is a beautiful boat, and just sits there like it belongs. God only knows what kind of shape it will be in by the time all the court proceedings are over. I also thought that article basically screamed "Hey, come steal all my equipment, obviously no one cares!"

Thanks TCD! Of course I just put the link and didn't try to load it. :rolleyes:

What a shame huh? It is a beautiful boat, and just sits there like it belongs. God only knows what kind of shape it will be in by the time all the court proceedings are over. I also thought that article basically screamed "Hey, come steal all my equipment, obviously no one cares!"

Nobody else can afford to put gas in it either :rofl2: