From the Disney Food blog. This place is almost always closed when we're there. They were open last November, but it didn't look like anything special. Anyone got any recent experience to share?

Guest Review: Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant

Jul 6th, 2011

by AJ.We travel to the future with Guest Reviewer Bill Iadonisi in his review of the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant. Finding the restaurant actually open, Bill stopped in for a quick service bite to eat!

It’s been quite a while since I have dined at the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. One reason is that this counter-service eatery has for several years been opened seasonally; if the crowds at the Magic Kingdom swell, it will open to handle the overflow of hungry guests. But today, my friend John (Disney Food Blog readers know him as Chef BigFatPanda!) and I decided to have lunch and do a review.

WALKWAY-UP-500x375.jpg

Entrance walkway

Atmosphere

When the Magic Kingdom first opened, this was known as the Plaza Pavilion, which served pizza and burgers. In 2004, it was closed for refurb and returned as the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. For you history and trivia buffs, “Tomorrowland Terrace” was the name of the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant that once occupied the current Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café. In 1994 it closed and re-opened as Cosmic Rays for the New Tomorrowland renovation.

WELCOME-412x550.jpg

Welcome Sign The menu has changed often here. The original dinner menu focused on Asian influenced dishes and offered items like the vegetable noodle bowl with Tofu, Beef and Broccoli with steamed rice; and lunch menu items which were more “Americanized, including burgers, chicken and wraps. A new menu is in effect now, offering Pasta Primavera and Pasta Alfredo, to which you can add shrimp or chicken. Several salads and even a lobster roll are also included on the menu. You can see that Disney is offering a greater selection of healthier items in its eateries.

MENU-ONE-500x242.jpgclick image for larger version

MENU-TWO-500x212.jpg

click image for larger version

MENU-THREE-500x239.jpg

click image for larger version

MENU-FOUR-500x227.jpg

click image for larger version The restaurant is conveniently located between the Plaza Restaurant and Laugh Floor Comedy club on the side walkway to Tomorrowland. It’s called Tomorrowland “Terrace” for a good reason: the outdoor dining areas are on three tiered terraces. All have ample seating and since they are all covered against the sun and rain, dining is usually comfortable.

SECOND-AND-THIRD-LEVEL-500x375.jpg

Second and Third Level The walkway goes right through the restaurant, giving access from Main Street and Tomorrowland. The décor is futuristic in concept, with diamond overhead lights, stainless steel railings, and polished stainless steel plates on the walls of the upper dining area.

Even the ordering kiosks are out-of-this-world looking.

ORDERING-KIOSKS-500x375.jpg

Orderering Kiosks But don’t expect any “luxury” seating. For the most part, it’s very spartan. Just plain round and rectangular tables with small, cushioned seats.

LOWER-DINING-AREA-500x375.jpg

Lower dining area Tomorrowland Terrace’s biggest draw are the views from the dining areas, especially the veranda tier on the lowest level. The view of Cinderella Castle is second to none, and it’s a coveted spot for viewing the fireworks at night.

In fact one of the Magic Kingdom’s most popular events; the “Wishes Dessert Party” (Nee, the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party) is held on the second and third tiers on most nights.

During the day, it’s a great place to have lunch or dinner and relax while taking in the views. But even the views cannot dim the noise level. Despite the large expansive area, there is nothing to absorb the sound. On busy days it makes conversation challenging and forget about making a cell call. You will have to find a quieter location.

BREATHTAKING-VIEW-500x375.jpg

Breathtaking view

Eats

I like the new menu at the Terrace. Although there was nothing wrong with the Asian themed fare, the new offerings — at least for me — stick closer to the ribs, so to speak.

The two previously mentioned pasta dishes, a 1/3 lb. Angus Bacon Cheeseburger ($8.79) and a Fried Chicken Sandwich ($8.79) with choice of apple slices or French fries, give the hungry guest a good choice. Less hungry? Order a Lobster Roll with homemade chips ($9.19) or one of two excellent salads, a Beef and Blue Cheese ($8.39) and a Citrus Shrimp with Mandarin orange dressing ($8.19). And what quick service menu would be complete without Chicken Breast Nuggets ($7.89) — choice again of apple slices or French Fries.

CONDIMENT-STATION-500x375.jpg

condiment station For the kids, Chicken Nuggets, Macaroni and cheese, or Peanut Butter and Jelly is offered. All $4.99, they come with grapes, Dannon Danimals yogurt, and your choice of apple juice, 1% Mickey milk or small bottled water. The kids can also request applesauce, soft drink, French fries or a cookie.

For dessert, you can have yogurt ($1.99) or a choice of a Carrot Cake or Triple-Chocolate Cake ($3.59). Standard counter-service beverages are available…water, low-fat milk, chocolate milk, soda, coffee, juices (apple and orange), hot tea or cocoa and blackberry jasmine iced green tea.

John ordered the Chicken Sandwich. The bread was fresh and soft, the white-meat chicken cutlet was moist, and the breading just enough as not to overwhelm. The fries, well, they were standard fries. But the Triple-Chocolate Cake was rich and moist — a little on the sweet side, but it hit the spot.

FRIED-CHICKEN-SANDWICH-WITH-TRIPLE-CHOCOLATE-CAKE-500x375.jpg

Chicken Sandwich I am a big fan of salads and no matter where on property I order them, they are always fresh, crisp and filling. The salads here do not disappoint. I had the Beef and Blue Cheese salad. This wonderful menu item came with crisp green apple slices, a generous helping of Blue Cheese (my favorite) and thin-sliced medallions of beef.

It was moist and tender, and full of flavor. My only complaint is that I like my beef medium, with a touch of red in the middle. This was done medium well, but I believe that all restaurants cook meat on the more “well” side. The salad will satisfy most appetites, but the bigger eater can always order something else.

BEEF-AND-BLUE-CHEESE-SALAD-500x375.jpg

Beef and Blue Cheese Salad

Overall

The restaurant, a staple since the beginning, has changed over the years but it still retains the appeal of great views and a convenient location, and of course tasty food. I think the new menu is going to be a hit with the guests, and if it stays open more often, I will just have to try the Citrus Shrimp Salad with the Mandarin dressing.

Thanks again, Bill! We’re looking forward to your upcoming Pepper Market review soon!