Your kids fav camping meals

For our first camping trips, we ended up making runs to Publix for sub lunches wub.gifor went out to eat at a local place. I would LOVE to hear what are your kids fav camping meals. We will be embarking on our first "all camping" experience (meaning fixing our own meals at the T/T) in 3 weeks. I have a 4yo and 2yo. So what's your favorite??

For our first camping trips, we ended up making runs to Publix for sub lunches wub.gifor went out to eat at a local place. I would LOVE to hear what are your kids fav camping meals. We will be embarking on our first "all camping" experience (meaning fixing our own meals at the T/T) in 3 weeks. I have a 4yo and 2yo. So what's your favorite??

I don't have little ones, and I don't cook, my family's favorites are anything I Don't cook. lol

But, in the past, the favorites were spaghetti, mac 'n cheese with hot dogs, beef stew in crockpot, pork chops (grill or shake n' bake), hot dogs, burgers, steak, basically whatever you fix at home, plus the ever-popular "giddy up n go" chicken meal from Trail's End at the Fort.

Chicken nuggets shaped like Mickey heads (you can get them at Costco)

Shoe-string french fries

Macaroni and cheese

Pizza (pizza nuggets)

Mini hotdogs

Mini sliders

French toast sticks

Mini dollar size pancakes

(all the above you can get frozen and just heat in microwave)

Smuckers Uncrustables

Grilled cheese

Baby carrots and dipping sauce

Pudding/jello cups

Applesauce cups

Fruit cups

Juice boxes

Mini boxes of cereal

...anything that is finger food :)

I've been thinking about this post since I first saw it and meaning to respond. I have a file (an eternally GROWING file) on camping foods. I'll look through it for kid-friendly fare. My knee-jerk reaction is always pie irons, which are a huge hit with children but with very young kids, they scare the heck out of me because of the searing hot irons combined with the really hot food.

Otherwise, anything we do at home is fair game -- usually with pre-trip prep, like cooking/shredding/marinating meats, slicing/dicing/chopping, etc. Then there's just assembly required at the campground.

I'll look through my file and report back, hopefully by this evening!

my kids love when we do a fish fry and when hubby makes his bacon, blue cheese & mushroom burgers!!

(we had those last night)!! :banana:

I've seen what your kids get to eat, I want to be one of them..... :banana: :popcorn: :rofl2: :heart:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There! I saw this and thought I would share something we found and the kids LOVE. It is called grilled pizza....now, if you get on Youtube or maybe anywhere you can find Paula Deen cooking shows online, you will be able to find it. All we do is light up our grill, get it nice and hot...get some of those pizza crusts that are ready made in the tubes in the cold food sections. Roll one of those out with some olive oil on each side (we even spray a little on the grill so as not to have a sticking situation). You go ahead and grill one side of it. Check it after about 7 minutes. If it looks nice and crusty, take it off there...this can be kinda tricky but we have found either a nice pizza board or even 2 well placed spatula's will slide that baby off there. Put it onto a platter of some kind and load it up (the already grilled side that is). Pizza sauce, cheeses, olives, chicken pieces, sausage, mushrooms, whatever floats your boat....then lay her down nice and easy on the grill...we kinda slide it off from the platter back onto a oiled grill. Grill it with the top lid down until nice and grilled and ready. We usually make one that is adult's choice and one the kiddos get to choose toppings for and even load the toppings on themselves. It is a real treat my kids LOVE. Try it out sometime ;) It is a good experience for all !! Happy Camping!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I cook up a lot of meat and grilled chicken and freeze it in quart containers for easy meals,

That's what I always did when our kids were growing up. I'd precook anything possible and freeze in ziploc bags. Not only did it make meal times easier, but it kept the food longer and helped keep the cooler cold. We were tent campers at the time so I would have a separate meat cooler that only I was allowed to open. We could go a week and still have frozen meat.

For those of you that own TTs, I would just cook whatever your kids like to eat at home. You have all the comforts of home and a full kitchen in those things. ;D

That's what I always did when our kids were growing up. I'd precook anything possible and freeze in ziploc bags. Not only did it make meal times easier, but it kept the food longer and helped keep the cooler cold. We were tent campers at the time so I would have a separate meat cooler that only I was allowed to open. We could go a week and still have frozen meat.

For those of you that own TTs, I would just cook whatever your kids like to eat at home. You have all the comforts of home and a full kitchen in those things. ;D

ohhh.. I didnt think about shredding chicken.. that would make some good quesadilla's, my kids will tear those up! :banana:

• 2 months later...

Hi There! I saw this and thought I would share something we found and the kids LOVE. It is called grilled pizza....now, if you get on Youtube or maybe anywhere you can find Paula Deen cooking shows online, you will be able to find it. All we do is light up our grill, get it nice and hot...get some of those pizza crusts that are ready made in the tubes in the cold food sections. Roll one of those out with some olive oil on each side (we even spray a little on the grill so as not to have a sticking situation). You go ahead and grill one side of it. Check it after about 7 minutes. If it looks nice and crusty, take it off there...this can be kinda tricky but we have found either a nice pizza board or even 2 well placed spatula's will slide that baby off there. Put it onto a platter of some kind and load it up (the already grilled side that is). Pizza sauce, cheeses, olives, chicken pieces, sausage, mushrooms, whatever floats your boat....then lay her down nice and easy on the grill...we kinda slide it off from the platter back onto a oiled grill. Grill it with the top lid down until nice and grilled and ready. We usually make one that is adult's choice and one the kiddos get to choose toppings for and even load the toppings on themselves. It is a real treat my kids LOVE. Try it out sometime wink.gif It is a good experience for all !! Happy Camping!!!

Does the pizza dough fall through the cracks of the grill before it cooks through? ( I know stoopid question but I'm grasping straws for a supper for 9 people for friday nite with only a grill or fire).