We did it today. Kind of like Kim Possible but instead you have cards you have to hold up to the camera to cast a spell to get the "bad" guys. My DD was on level 1 since today was her first try. Personally I'm not a game person so after seeing it today, I wouldn't do it again. She says she will but hopes it gets harder because you will need more spells or cards to complete the task.

Also, you can only play one round a day. We were hoping to load up on the cards for the next time but you can only get 1 set a day.

Ok....so we've been playing most of the day....we have about 25 different cards. There still is not much challenge to the game and "type" of spell and number of "points" still don't appear to mean anything yet. And the game didn't care if we used the same spell card more than once. Our journey as sourcerers took us to Fantasyland, Adventureland and Frontierland, and Main Street three times around. We never did get sent to Tomorrowland. Before we left we ventured over to check the portals in Tomorrowland. There didn't seem to be any aroumd there so we assume maybe they weren't working? It was one of the busiest areas in MK so maybe that's why the game didn't direct us there? We did see CMs around the different portals with clipboards making notes on how many were playing, age range, how long it took and if there was a back up. We really never encountered more than a couple people ahead of us. Today we also saw more kids (ages about 7 to 12) playing and not as many adults or those of college age. As a side note...we confirmed with a CM working in the firestation where you register for the game, that the cards will be for sale in some of the stores. However, there is no specific announced date for when you will be able to purchase the cards. For right now all you can get is one set of 5 cards per day. If you end up with duplicates there is usually a player around one of the portals looking to trade cards.

Nevermind. My iPhone didn't show the first page with explanation. Please forgive the dumb newbie.

No worries at all! :)

To heck with the kids, I"M IN!

Me too! It has all my favorite things - a treasure hunt of sorts, interactive new stuff at WDW and collectible cards! :jumpforjoy

Love that there's a fun new reason to wander around the MK.

... It was one of the busiest areas in MK so maybe that's why the game didn't direct us there?

Interesting! I wonder if they did build in a feature that would allow them to use the game to do a little crowd control too? Would make sense.

we confirmed with a CM working in the firestation where you register for the game, that the cards will be for sale in some of the stores. However, there is no specific announced date for when you will be able to purchase the cards. For right now all you can get is one set of 5 cards per day. If you end up with duplicates there is usually a player around one of the portals looking to trade cards.

Cool - thanks for the info Karla!!

Another video from WDW News Today...

The Sorcerers Series – Battling Dr. Facilier

Feb 22, 2012 by wdwntadmin ico_post_comments.pngNo Comments ico_post_date.png Posted under: The Magic Kingdom

Picture-12.png

We are happy to continue our series of videos walking you through all of the adventures you can experience at Walt Disney World’s latest attraction, Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. We go on down the bayou to Liberty Square and Frontierland to battle Dr. Facilier and his friends on the other side this time:

http://vimeo.com/37231301

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/8801

We also were directed to Adventureland, Frontierland and Main Street but not Fantasyland. I was happy about that though because it is always the most crowded place in MK, especially now with construction going on. I do have to say we were in Adventureland doing the game when the Pirate show was going on and it did make it hard to hear the game. Good thing they close caption all the video. Same thing happened when we were on Main Street with the MISI parade (I so hate that parade!).

• 1 month later...

From The Disney Blog...

All the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Cards, including variants

Posted on March 24, 2012 by John Frost

sotmk-cards.jpg

I admit that I have a new obsession at the Magic Kingdom. It’s the interactive card based game called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and I can’t stop myself from playing it. One day we’ll play my son’s cards and the next day we’ll play mine. It’s great fun.

Half the fun of SotMK is collecting and trading the cards. Right now there is a deck of 70 cards in general use in the game. However, there are variants, error cards, and even cast member cards. It’s hard to keep them all straight. But this video might help. It’s the most complete compilation of cards I’ve yet seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0iC4zMzAaA

One of these days I’ll write up my guide to the game, but in the meantime keep in mind this secret. If you have a picture of the card you need on your phone, you can sometimes use that in place of the real card.

Until then, happy trading and I hope you complete your deck soon. We’re still working on ours…

http://thedisneyblog.com/2012/03/24/all-the-sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-cards-including-variants/

From the Touring Plans blog...

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Implements Play Capacity Restrictions

by R. A. Pedersen

The new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom interactive game in the Magic Kingdom Park at the Walt Disney World Resort will operate only on the “Easy” game play mode until further notice. The restriction on the difficulty level will prohibit players from moving beyond the basic level of the game and completing the primary missions. At the Easy level, essentially all puzzles/battles within the game can be solved by a single use of any of the available spell cards, rather than by employing any level of strategy or card tactics that the more difficult game levels require.

Normally, guests would advance in the computerized game system as their proficiency in the game improved as they completed missions; thus, the game would increase in difficulty the longer they played, and they would in turn need to play the game more adeptly to advance. This new restriction locks everyone temporarily at the Easy level, so for now all guests will play at the Easy level regardless of the level of play they have achieved. When this restriction has ended, guests should be able to resume their game playing at the level at which they were playing prior to the restriction.

As to why the restriction is being imposed: crowds and lines. There is congestion at the individual game play portals because guests at the higher levels take more time. This is combining with a higher overall number of guests playing due to the park being relatively busy. Quite simply, with all levels enabled, the attraction cannot handle the volume of people who want to play.

If you’re looking to experience the attraction, your best bet is to do so outside of peak periods and peak attendance days. If you want to fully experience the interactivity and difficulty levels available, you’ll have to visit the park multiple times. Be sure to keep your assigned “key card” from the game, and of course check the TouringPlans blog for an update for when the current Easy-play capacity restriction has been relaxed.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/03/28/sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-implements-play-capacity-restrictions/

From the Disney Parks blog...

Exclusive: Cast Your Eyes On The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Card Spoiler List

posted on April 4th, 2012 by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager

bg-post-top.png

In a previous post here on the Disney Parks Blog, I gave you a look inside the new Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom role-playing game, as well as a peek at five of the spell cards guests can use in their battle against Disney villains.

thu189422SMALL.jpg

To refresh your memory, here’s how the cards work: Each day a guest plays the game, they receive five complimentary cards that help them foil the plans of Disney villains who are running amok throughout Magic Kingdom Park. The cards each feature a Disney character that offers a spell unique to him or her. And, multiple cards can be used at once to cast several spells on a villain, simultaneously.

There will be 70 different spell cards available, and here’s an exclusive look at 60 cards from the game, so you can see exactly which ones you need to complete your collection.

RARE

Apprentice Mickey’s Broomsticks

Belle’s Mountain Blizzard

Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blaster

Doris’s Bowler Hat Attack

EVE’s Laser Blast

Fa Mulan’s Dragon Cannon

Flynn Rider’s Flying Frying Pan

King Triton’s Trident

Lythos’s Rock Titan Boulder Throw

Maurice’s Wood Chopper

Maximus’ Horseshoes

Merlin’s Fireball

Monstro’s Water Spout

Nibs’s Neverland Assault

Rapunzel’s Hair Whip

Robin Hood’s Magic Arrow

Simba’s Roar

The Fairy Godmother’s Pumpkin Bash

The Giant’s Giant Stomp

Tinker Bell’s Pixie Dust

Violet’s Force Fields

Woody’s Cowboy Lasso

UNCOMMON

Aladdin’s Lamp

Bolt’s Super Bark

Cinderella’s Magic Ribbon

Colonel Hathi’s Righteous Stomp

Eeyore’s Gloomy Cloud

Frozone’s Ice Blast

Lightning McQueen’s Ka-Chow

Mickey’s Magic Beans

Mike’s Grand Entrance

Pinocchio’s Sawdust Blast

Prince Phillip’s Enchanted Sword

Snow White’s Housecleaning

The Headless Horseman’s Exploding Jack-O-Lantern

The Mad Hatter’s Tea Time

The Queen of Hearts’s Card Army

The Sugar Plum Fairies’ Dewdrop Spiderweb

WALL-E’s Trash Crunch

Yen Sid’s Sorcerers Hat

COMMON

Aurora’s Rose Petals

Baloo’s Coconut Cascade

Caballero Donald’s Pinata

Dash’s Whirlwind

Flower’s Flowers

Gopher’s Demolition Dynamite

Grumpy’s Pummeling Pickaxe

Lumiere’s Candle Blast

Mowgli’s Swinging Vine

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride

Pocahontas’s Colors of the Wind

Pongo’s Soot Bucket

Prince Naveen’s Army of Frogs

Pumbaa’s Odorous Gas

Quasimodo’s Bell

Rafiki’s Wisdom Stick

The Blue Fairy’s Wand Wish

The Woozles’ Woozle Nightmare

Thumper’s Mighty Thump

Tiana’s Hot Sauce

The last 10 cards in the set – the Super Rare 10 – will be revealed in a few more weeks! Keep watching the Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/04/exclusive-cast-your-eyes-on-the-sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-card-spoiler-list/

• 1 month later...

From DaMouse. I suppose we'd call this one still a rumor until we get some confirmation or pics.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Merchandise Update: Spell Card Collectors Have Branded Folders Coming Their Way

May 4, 2012

DSC08731.jpg

If you caught our inaugural podcast episode you’d know that we recently played another round of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. In doing so it is apparent that a specialized fan community has built itself up around the card based interactive game. Most interestingly, you can regularly see guests using folders bought at your local Walmart amongst other retailers to store their growing card collections, a void that Disney curiously has been late to fill. After speaking with the Imagineers in charge of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, I was given a chuckle and wink that I’d be seeing merchandise arriving at the Magic Kingdom soon. So the very next day, walking in to pick up my spell cards and there they are, the first temporary card folders for sale at the Magic Kingdom. In speaking with the cast member, I was told that these were on sale for $45.95 and included five card holding inserts. But the best part is that the cast member confirmed the Imagineers wink and nod by telling me that indeed, official branded Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom folders should make their debut rather soon. From what I hear these folders will be similar to what we are seeing on display but instead boast an official Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom logo. Although I know anything with the Sorcerers logo will be popular, I’m hopeful that these items might be a little more well thought out and its one of those things where we will have to wait and see. Of course Da Mouse will continue to update you on everything Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom but ’til then make sure to head past the break for a better look at the current folders.

http://damouse.com/2012/05/04/sorcerers-of-the-magic-kingdom-merchandise-update-spell-card-collectors-have-branded-folders-coming-there-way/