$1 Million Worth of Black Market Tickets Confiscated!

From Chip and Co...

$1 Million Worth of Black Market Tickets Confiscated!

August 13, 2011

PixieMichele

Buyer beware…when it comes to Disney World admission tickets “if it seems to good to be true…” IT IS! Especially in the case of “ticket brokers” along U.S. Highway 192.

The popular route running east to west through Kissimmee is filled with hotels and “discount ticket retailers” (*wink *wink, nudge nudge). During a recent sting operation 3,617 fraudulent tickets were confiscated (that’s over $1 million dollars in tickets!). The tickets were for Disney World, SeaWorld and Universal.

The tickets weren’t counterfeit reproductions, at one point they were legitimate for park entry; and were used by the original purchaser. Remaining portions of the leftover tickets were purchased by these “brokers” for pennies on the dollar, marked up, and re-sold to you with a discount price tag to lure you in.

Yes, this is illegal in the State of Florida and no, these thief’s weren’t hiding in the back corner of a dark alley. They were operating right on the main stretch of highway in plain view.

Here’s what you should know about theme park tickets:

1. You get what you pay for-Some of these tickets that were sold as 4-day passes actually only had 1-day remaining on them. There’s no way of checking the legitimacy of tickets from 3rd party brokers until you try to enter the park, at which time it’s too late.

2. Beyonce sings, “if you like it then you should’ve put a ring on it”, Disney sings, “If you bought it then you should’ve put your finger on it..” The fingerprint scanners at the gate are there for a reason. If the fingerprint of the person who originally purchased the ticket doesn’t match the next person trying to use it…you’re going to be getting a whole bunch of trouble in place of park admission.

3. If you drive to WDW and pass through this stretch in Kissimmee…keep on truckin’. While your desire to save money on your Disney vacation is pure, purchasing tickets from an illegal broker can lead to all sorts of trouble, and I assure you the experience won’t be magical.

4. Be smart-If you don’t purchase your theme park tickets direct from Disney, research the legitimacy of your source before you pay up. Sites like Undercover Tourist have been researched and reviewed whereas individual sellers on Craigslist or E-bay have not.

5. Track the discounts-everyone wants to save money on their vacation, if you don’t have the time or interest in tracking discounts and promotions, get a travel agent who specializes in Disney travel to do it for you. They can do all the work and you can have all the fun.

Read more http://www.chipandco...fiscated/43096/

Great. There goes my "easy street" retirement plan. Now I'm back to selling toothbrushes with plenty of life left in them, for a fraction of the cost at high-end retailers. Danged do-gooders.

Wow! Although, I am not really surprised. That stretch of 192 is squirrelly at best. I went into a "camera shop" there once. It was full of BS artist crooks. I have bought tickets from Maple Leaf twice before without any trouble. Although, the first time I visited their "store" I was thinking "wtf is going on here". For those who haven't had the privilege of visiting...the store is a tiny room in the front of a crappy hotel on 192.I think from now on I will only buy from Undercover Tourist.

Wow! Although, I am not really surprised. That stretch of 192 is squirrelly at best. I went into a "camera shop" there once. It was full of BS artist crooks. I have bought tickets from Maple Leaf twice before without any trouble. Although, the first time I visited their "store" I was thinking "wtf is going on here". For those who haven't had the privilege of visiting...the store is a tiny room in the front of a crappy hotel on 192.I think from now on I will only buy from Undercover Tourist.

It's funny you mentioned this place. I've bought Arabian Nights tix from them several times. The first time I waslked in my daughter was about 9 and I didn't know whether we should just leave or if I should pull a gun out and just start shooting lol. It's definately a pay by the hour type place for the hotel part lol. I'd be leary of buying WDW tix from anybody.

About a year ago my daughter went thru the turnstile at DHS and the CM asked her where she got her ticket. It was a 3-9 ticket and even though she was 12 they made a mistake the last time I renewed and put 3-9 on it. I've had few problems with her using it but the lady looked at her and said yeah this must be a Maple Leaf special. I said pardon me and she said there's a lot of people coming in and the cards are kids passes or the military that didn't get used all the way. I said well excuse me we've been AP holders for quite some time and she said yeah ok. I seriously thought about going to a manager but it wasn't worth it. She was just a bitch. Maple Leaf seems pretty up and up but buying tix from outside sources is risky.

I bought some rodeo tix here in Jax once for half price and when we got to the door they had been scanned and no good. I'm sure some vacations have been ruined by these clowns.

I just had to send this link to DH, some of his "buddies" told him NOT to buy tickets ahead of time, that you can get them cheaper when your down there.. I THINK NOT!!

1 Point Mama.

I have camping/vacation OCD like the others mentioned.. I can't go without a ticket in my possesion.. my head would explode. :blink:

It's tough to ascertain what "days" are left on my old non expiring tickets. Typically you have to go to the ticket window at Disney for confirmation.

If they made the service available online, it might make it tougher on these unscrupulous types.