Monorail News: Breakdowns and security changes?

From Screamscape...

(9/14/11) There has been a lot of talk over the past day or two about the Walt Disney World Monorails. Over the past few days, there have been several reports sent in about system-wide shutdowns as well as all kinds of heightened security measures. In regards to the later, we’ve heard reports about guests being held back from loading into the Monorails while someone would inspect each cabin, checking inside the hidden panels to look for anything that did not belong, before giving the all clear for guests to board. Security Dogs were also spotted sniffing out the Monorails during the busy 9/11 weekend as well.

However, beyond all this has been several new reports coming in about what may be near daily breakdowns in the system. I’ve reported in the past on how the WDW Monorail fleet has aged to the point where it is beyond its expected lifespan and in need of replacement, though to date, it does not seem as if any orders have gone out to construct a new fleet. Even if those orders were issued today, it would likely be another two years or so before the first new monorail could begin test runs on the beams. Case in point… it’s already been over two years since the deadly monorail accident of 2009, and Disney is just now getting the rebuilt monorail back on the beam for testing.

According to one report, at least one of the system shutdowns was pre-planned in order to get the future Monorail Peach out on the beamway, all by itself, for it’s first real test run. According to the source, I’m happy to say that all went well. Once they log enough test hours with Monorail Peach, it will be given it’s color stripe and soon rejoin the fleet. Meanwhile, lets hope Disney is ready to starting ordering some new trains soon, otherwise we could be looking at a repeat of how Disneyland’s Monorail system was just driven to the breaking point, and trains were cannibalized for parts to keep others running until even that wasn’t enough any more. At least the Disneyland Monorail is primarily used for entertainment purposes… unlike the WDW system which is quite vital to ensure the transportation of guests from the Magic Kingdom to the parking lot, as well as shuttling guests between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/walt_disney_world_resort.htm#General

Didn't someone post here that the end of October the Democratic Convention is being held at the Contemporary. Could it just be practice runs for the security detail? VP is supposed to be there. I would think that could make the monorail a huge target, going right thru the resort. :popo:

Didn't someone post here that the end of October the Democratic Convention is being held at the Contemporary.

It's only the Florida Democrat convention & yes, Joe Biteme will make a brief appearance. Usually their in and out

Could it just be practice runs for the security detail?

Could be, but as with most hi profile companies, Disney has enhanced and become more aggressive with their security procedures property wide.

I now have to inspect all good looking females before they board the bus. Hey, policy is policy.

I would think that could make the monorail a huge target, going right thru the resort.

Although the monorail goes through the Contemporary, the convention center is a separate building and the main convention hall is not that close to where the monorail passes by.

Buses that bring attendees from the resorts to the convention center drop off much closer.

I think the writer of that piece was looking for an excuse to write a story that would get some attention.

I believe what was going on was that Disney was doing what they do everyday, be security conscious. You just don't normally hear about it.

Security is always increased for special events, it's SOP.

Sniffer dogs regularly sniff buses and all buses get inspected for bags and packages left behind.

If someone saw that going on, they might report that security measures were being increased, but it's just routine.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.