I am too old to be in a wet tshirt contest...

While we're on the subject of fun & games, I should tell you that there are games. The kids are invited to participate in a pedal tractor pull with trophies to the top 3 in each of 4 age groups. DD10 was really disappointed that she had to go cheer at a FB game and couldn't enter the pedal pull. It was raining on & off most of that afternoon so Starla & I told her she didn't miss much. Thankfully, she didn't run into any of the kids carrying their trophies or we'd have been in big doodoo. Starla took a few pics of the pedal pull with her droid before she went to work...

2011-09-17121322.jpg

2011-09-17121327.jpg

While the little girl was adorable, this kid had a certain something that caught our eye. Can you guess what it is?

2011-09-17121037.jpg

IIRC None of the girls won. I'm pretty sure I saw the young man below with his trophy buying matchbox cars from my friend to celebrate his victory.

2011-09-17121121.jpg

2011-09-17121127.jpg

There were games for adults too. One I really enjoyed watching was a relay of sorts where the guys had to run to grab an ear of corn, shalk it, strip the corn off it, and save the corn cob to tidy up during the last part of the challenge at the outhouse. The jokes coming out of that one were too funny, :hah: especially when one guy didn't have a corn cob and another wound up having to share.

I'm told that's part of what made this country great folks - quick thinking farmers with corncobs, and a little :dass: humor... :facepalm:

While you're waiting to find out what caught our attention with that jr pedal-puller, let me show you the wheat threshing pics. Boy combines sure made work easier for these guys... just check out how many people it's taking just to get one little wagon of wheat done. Don't forget to count the guy on top supervising... just like in many blue collar jobs - or those in my house even - in the fields somebody's gotta look like they're in charge... :rofl2:

From the ends, the threshing looks looks like this. Don't you just want to jump into that pile of straw and make a mess? Maybe build a scarecrow or two for the Halloween GG??

P1010070.jpg

P1010072.jpg

The belt attached to the steam engine is connected to the thresher.

P1010072.jpg

P1010075.jpg

The wheat is then shoveled in from a wagon parked beside it.

P1010079.jpg

Then the grain is seperated out, scooped up, and bagged by hand...

P1010080.jpg

P1010082.jpg

P1010085.jpg

Hi Pam, great pictures and neat videos love how the train gets in the act as they pass by. Beth & i are camping Columbus Day weekend at Knobels for the Coverd Bridge Festival, great craft fair and the park gets ready and is open for Halloween, then I will be down at Circle M in Lancaster from the 9th till the 16th and Beth will join me there for the weekend. It would be great to try to get together agian we will have to plan that if not this year maybe another Easter gathering but with less MUD!!!!!!!!! Talk to you soon Rennie.

Very cool report Pam! I LOVE old tractors...but especially Farmall and IH models from the 40's-60's. We had a Farmall Little A on the farm growing up that I spent a LOT of time working on, and also an IH 340.

2011-09-11151904.jpg

This Farmall is a beauty! Looks like a Model H. I have a toy model of one of those. Yes, I have a collection of toy tractors. Feel free to laugh. :rofl2: