F&W 2011 We3Peas Eating Around the World ***New Stuff***

Excellent report!!!

Some more comments:

Can't agree with hubby's rating on the ravioli in Italy. I didn't finish it was so tasteless, and I'm a huge Italian food fan. Very disappointed.

Well, you are outvoted on this one, Lou. The ravioli was one of the favorite things the TCD gang tried on our recent visit.

In the interest of full disclosure, some of us think Chef Boyarde is a good cook too.

Day 3 (Tuesday morning)

I took a picture of a white cat in France. I think it is one of the aristocats? If not I don't know who or why it is there....

2991087070103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

Um. Hello?

That's Marie!

She's a BFD.

(Big Fort Deal)

I had the cheese soup in Canada last year, and I swear it was a bigger serving than what I've seen people posting this year. That's tiny!

You are right- the soup serving is microscopic. Inflation Eh?

TCD

THANK YOU for all of the pood forn!!!!!

Many of the items look good to me...and quite a few look not so good. I'd love to get back to F&W someday.

I had the cheese soup in Canada last year, and I swear it was a bigger serving than what I've seen people posting this year. That's tiny!

And I agree on ice wine. I've even had ice wine right at a winery outside Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, and didn't really care for it. So you're not alone.

We had the Cheese Soup in Le Cellier in 2004 - it was horrible. (So bad, I said that Campbell's Cheddar Soup out of the can was better). I tried again at F&W in 2007 - better, but still not what I prefer. I have a copy cat version of the Walkabout Soup (the original Onion & Cheese Soup - not that crap they have now), and it beats the Soup from Canada any day ...

On the other hand, great pictures of kitty food and ratings. Based on this and TCD's TR, we have modified our choices some!

We had the Cheese Soup in Le Cellier in 2004 - it was horrible. (So bad, I said that Campbell's Cheddar Soup out of the can was better). I tried again at F&W in 2007 - better, but still not what I prefer. I have a copy cat version of the Walkabout Soup (the original Onion & Cheese Soup - not that crap they have now), and it beats the Soup from Canada any day ...

On the other hand, great pictures of kitty food and ratings. Based on this and TCD's TR, we have modified our choices some!

Ed- Have you ever posted your walkabout soup recipe anywhere? If so, please give me a link, or post it for us. The cheese soup in Canada may be popular with a lot of Fiends because it is very heavy on the bacon. I liked the sample, but I'm not sure I would want to eat a big bowl of it.

TCD

Outback Walkabout Soup

2 cups thinly sliced yellow sweet onions

3 tablespoon butter

1 can (14.5-15 ounce) chicken broth

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

2 teaspoons chicken base (bouillon cubes can be used if the base isn't available)

1/4 cup diced Sharp Cheddar cheese cubes (compressed in measuring cup) (use Velvetta for a more realistic version)

1 and 1/2-1 and 3/4 cups white sauce (recipe below)

shredded cheddar cheese for garnish

In 2-quart saucepan, place butter and sliced onions. Cook at low to medium heat, stirring frequently, until soft and clear but not brown. Add chicken broth from can, chicken base, salt, and pepper and stir until completely heated through. Add white sauce and Sharp Cheddar cheese. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium-low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly. Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30-45 minutes.

Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese and a couple of slices of warm, dark Russian bread.

THICK WHITE SAUCE:

3 tablespoon butter

3 tablespoon flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 and 1/2 cups whole milk

In a 1-quart saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the side of the saucepan. Pour milk into flour a little at a time and stir constantly; add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding. Remember to stir constantly, taking care not to let mixture lump. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use for the soup.

Excellent report!!!

Um. Hello?

That's Marie!

She's a BFD.

(Big Fort Deal)

You are right- the soup serving is microscopic. Inflation Eh?

TCD

Thank you TCD. Coming from one so exalted I consider that a high compliment.

We don't know Marie because she's a cat. We are/were dog people (sorry cat lovers, dh is allergic)

Thank you TCD. Coming from one so exalted I consider that a high compliment.

We don't know Marie because she's a cat. We are/were dog people (sorry cat lovers, dh is allergic)

Don't feel bad...as some may know based upon my past trip reports, I am NO fan of Marie. On two occasions, we have been in line to see her and had to wait while she went on break. Both times when she returned, she smelled like kitty litter and cigarettes.

Day 4 Wednesday October 19th

We continue our path of eating Around the World. Today it's just dd 13 and me, and of course Jean Ralphio. We can't seem to leave him behind (I really tried!). The weather today is great. Yesterday we were supposed to have pretty bad storms but they didn't materialize in Orlando. Today we have a high of 80 degrees and some nice breezes to cool us off. Just in case though we have our rain ponchos and an umbrella (just to cover all bases). I know if we carry them we won't use them, and guess what? We didn't.

While waiting for Word Showcase to open at 11 am we visited the Marketplace again. DD took a pic of me next to the wine poster.

2366630070103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

That's because I can't remember anything anymore (early onset of Old Fart's disease). The purpose was to remind me that I had a glass of Cava wine last time we were here together, and since I liked it, I would know what I drank so I could find it in a store when I want to drink it again. That makes perfect sense, right?

Here we reloaded our swipe card with more money. I don't understand how it gets to $0 so fast! We took a quick turn around the shop and saw the mailbag purses were gone. All they have left of the banner merchandise from last year are the makeup bags. We passed on them again.

2509426120103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

DD posing with her vinylmation friend.

We walked over to MouseGear to kill some more time and dd took this pic of the jelly beans on the wall.

2400127370103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

Then we started toward the cranberry bog. This is the first time I noticed a booth with a guy in it giving out Craisins to everyone who walked up. So we walked up too. Then we stayed and talked to him and looked at his book on how cranberries are grown and harvested. And because we did he gave us more Craisins. Yeah! I like free stuff! Doesn't happen all that often at Disney.

2862902440103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

Then we noticed people in World Showcase walking around. What? It' only 10:40 am what are they doing in there? What? They're buying food and wine and eating it! Off we go...

First stop this time is Australia for the grilled lamb chop. Following our rating system we gave it a 4 out of 5. We don't eat lamb normally so we did find this good. The potato salad with goat cheese though was cold. I was envisioning something more like hot potato salad like in Germany so that was off putting to me but it did taste good.

2226683510103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2888887850103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

Next stop was at the Brazil booth for the National dish -Feijoada, which is basically black beans with pork sausage. On our scale it was a 3. Not too spicy and my dd remarked I make something similar to this at our house. She said she would have enjoyed it more if the weather was colder though. Sorry the pic doesn't really show the food. DD was trying to be artistic in her pics today...

2049481940103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2852389110103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

We skip the next couple of booths since we have now tried everything we wanted to there and head over to Scandinavia. We ordered the Swedish meatballs with Ligonberries. Out of all the dishes we taste today this is the most bland. The meatballs have no flavor and the berries are too sweet. Do they really serve these together in Sweden? We rated it a 2 and I was arguing for a 1 but dd liked the berries.

2061842220103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2357875420103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

On to South Korea where we ordered the lettuce wraps, the Boolgogi BBQ beef and a Raspberry wine for me. Here the food gets a 3 each and the wine a 4. The lettuce wrap pork was tasty and there was just enough slaw to make it crunchy. The BBQ beef was cooked well but the kimchi was spicier than we like. The wine had a dry taste but a hint of sweet as well.

2587847620103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2361824390103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

At the South Africa booth we stopped and ordered Bunny Chow. No, there is no rabbit in the food, just vegetables in a dinky bread bowl. Rabbit might have been an improvement in the taste. DD remarked she liked the bread the best here. I would agree, we gave it a 2. The vegetables seemed mushy tasting. I thought I was eating Hungry Man stew (maybe we were?).

2990134500103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2524666830103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

We stop at Germany to get a sausage roll on pretzel bread. That thing looks sad! Whose idea was it to have the sausage 4 inches longer than the bread? We should have tried it last year when it was more proportional. I don't like sausage so this was all on dd to grade it. She was NOT impressed with the pretzel bread but did like the taste of the sausage so she gave it a 3. I also thought the bread was pretty tasteless. I was hoping for more of a pretzel flavor since I wasn't eating the sausage.

2809229840103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2728068800103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2082131310103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

We refilled our water bottle here and continued on to Italy where I had a pour on my Wine Walk card. This time I tried some Pinot Grigio made also by Banfi.

2900000360103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2338532370103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

It was drier than I like but was still good. We had a nice chat with the lady working the store while I drank it and then we moved on. DD had another smoothie here and enjoyed it as much as the first one she had.

Next we stopped at the American Pavilion to play some games and hula hoop. No pics here, sorry. Let's just say drinking wine doesn't help my aim at the bottle toss. I missed all but 1 out of 8 tries. DD got all but 1, maybe she should drive us home?

2522296280103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

We skip the next 6 countries because some of them have things DH wants to try and since he will probably only get to come back the day we check in for Fort Wilderness we will wait on those. We now head to France where I'm going to try the Parisian Cosmo Slushie. I rated it a 4 on my scale. You can smell the alcohol in it which I don't like. I like to pretend I'm drinking a really cold slurpee and getting a brain freeze from it. It was very good though and on a hot day I can see this being a go-to drink.

2351384720103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2233596600103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

2273011560103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

We moseyed over to the UK after I finished my Cosmo and walked the maze near the gazebo. I never knew there was a maze here. I just read this week a blog of someone who mentioned it. I just thought they were pretty bushes like in France. DD asked me why I couldn't have discovered this when we was smaller so she could have really gotten lost in it. C'est la vie! There's always something new to find every time we go. That's why I like reading the trip reports and blogs. I would have kept walking right by this for many more years.

We finished out tour today with another stop at the Hawaii booth so we could share another pork slider.

2232415590103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

Today I would have given it a 3 instead of the 4 we gave it the first day. The workers in the booth had them lined up so when people ordered they could just hand them over. So ours was cold. Not even warm, but we still liked the flavor of it.

On our way out we stopped at Club Cool

2054930820103788249S600x600Q85.jpg

and found out they still don't have watermelon coke from China. Seriously?! I know there is something going on there. So we tried our next favorites :Mexico's and Costa Rica's. That finished our day at F&W and we left. We were able to go all the way around today in 2 hours.

We did see these people in Club Cool

2117854560103788249S600x600Q85.jpg and wondered if there were dressing up for a MNSSHP later?? Or is that normal attire for walking around EPCOT...

Great update!

Is it me, or am I noticing that there is a lot of inconsistency with food quality this year?

We have only made it over once so far, but this bit about preparing the orders in advance and having them sitting to hand over to guests seems to be the norm. That might work fine when it's busy, but when it's not, the food is going to sit and get cold.

I hope that y'all go again and that you update your report!

TCD

I think our last time will be on the 28th as our passes run out then. DH will get his 2nd crack at the food. Hopefully it will improve closer to the weekend. Yesterday was not busy we never waited for anything so there was NO reason to have cold food.

Really wish we could have gone today with the weather change. It's gorgeous out!

Thanks Kim, my dd took most of the pics so I will give her the credit. I was pleasantly surprised that she was willing to try everything we ordered. She is a super picky eater as am I (wonder where she gets it from...) but we have looked forward to F&W all year and I'm glad we've tried some new foods. Maybe we will add them to our menu at home as well.