Pinterest! A new site for all things DIY, cooking, etc!

Hey Fiends,

My name is lucy_love (Ashley) and I am a lurker (hides under desk) :-[ . I am friends with some of you on Facebook but I hardly post on here… I came from the other side… eeek. I was at the fort this weekend and saw lots of fiends everywhere! I'm just too shy! We even rented out The Grand One for fireworks Friday, IT WAS AWESOME! I highly suggest it. However, we did have to add on a lot of extras.. like food, drinks, butler, etc.

I am on the new website called pinterest.com it is a source for all things DIY, cooking, crafts, fashion, party planning, trips, photography, education tools, etc. As soon as I saw how amazing the site is I had to tell my fiends! I wanted to tell all the fiends about it because I think a lot of you will like it as much as I have! I have already made some of the Halloween crafts and recipes from the site! IF THIS IS ALREADY ON HERE, I APOLOGIZE!

You need an invite to join (that is the quickest way to get in) so if you would like one send me your preferred e-mail address and I will send you one!

Since I had to explain this to my mom, this is how it works:

You make themed “boards” such as Disney, DIY, Christmas crafts, kids snacks, wedding planning, whatever interest you! It is customized to your likes. Next you “pin” things that interest you back to your boards. The “pins” are an image of anything (Crockpot dips, Christmas garland, etc.) and you re-pin what you like back to your boards. Now you may be asking, oh gee this is a lovely picture of cake-batter-cookies but how do I make them? Well, you click on the picture and it will bring you to the original source so you can get the directions/recipe/whatever you need.

Additionally, you can add the “pin it” bookmark to your browser so if you are on marthastweart.com or allrecipes.com etc. and you like something you can “pin it” back to your boards so you no longer have a million pages bookmarked. You can even pin youtube videos! (I did for crochet help).

One more thing, you have to link it to a facebook or twitter account (I think?) so you “follow” people. You will see your friends pins on the homepage. If you want to browse the site there is a drop-down menu in the top center titled “everything” you can pick from categories like education, DIY, kids, etc. and browse other people that you are not following. And you can “unfollow” people if you have different interest than them.

Hope this all make sense. My best advice is to look at this when you are bored and play with it to figure it out.

If you have questions let me know! I have attached the link to the pinterest homepage and my page so you can get an idea for how it works:

http://pinterest.com/

http://pinterest.com/ashleyqd/

Sending smiles,

Ashley

p.s.

Sorry this is so long, I am a grad student… I write a lot :))

I'm on Pinterest too, but for some reason, every time I pin something, I get a response from a random person about it. All I can figure is that when I am pinning, the people that I am pinning from are getting some type of notice from me and responding. I have no idea why. it's weird!

Yep, when you re-pin something it lets the original person know in e-mail. It will say somethign like "MicknMin repinned your pin..."

you can also "tag" people in pins... so if you see something you are not interested but you think your friend might be you type a comment to that pin with the @ sign... for example "@micknmin" means I thought you would like something. it will show up in your "@mentions" section of your page.

Therefore, the original person who pinned it will also get an e-mail saying you left a comment that said "@insertnamehere"

hope that made sense :) I think there is a way to turn off notifications. And I apologize if you already knew all of this :)

Hey Ashley-

I don't think Pinterest is the thing for me, but I did want to say that it was great to finally get to meet you and your dad at the Fort this past weekend.

I didn't know you rented out the Grand One!

Wow!

I'm not sure I know what the Grand One is, but I'm assuming it's the nice yacht that I have seen cruising around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. If you have photos, you ought to share them with us!

TCD

Yep, when you re-pin something it lets the original person know in e-mail. It will say somethign like "MicknMin repinned your pin..."

you can also "tag" people in pins... so if you see something you are not interested but you think your friend might be you type a comment to that pin with the @ sign... for example "@micknmin" means I thought you would like something. it will show up in your "@mentions" section of your page.

Therefore, the original person who pinned it will also get an e-mail saying you left a comment that said "@insertnamehere"

hope that made sense :) I think there is a way to turn off notifications. And I apologize if you already knew all of this :)

I definitely didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. I've been afraid to pin things ever since I got emails from people I didn't know. :)

Hey Ashley-

I don't think Pinterest is the thing for me, but I did want to say that it was great to finally get to meet you and your dad at the Fort this past weekend.

I didn't know you rented out the Grand One!

Wow!

I'm not sure I know what the Grand One is, but I'm assuming it's the nice yacht that I have seen cruising around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. If you have photos, you ought to share them with us!

TCD

Aww really, I know you have an inner DIY side to ya! :laugh:

Your daughters will probably like the site a lot! I see lots of college stuff on there and crafty headbands and other things to make :) if they want an invite you can PM their e-mail addresses :)

It was great meeting you too, I am not sure if I will make it to the UF/FSU game but my parents will definitely be there. If you go, our RV is like an open house on game does so stop by!

I will post Grande One pics as soon as a download them to my computer. It is the yacht that is kept at the Grand Floridian but they picked us up at the fort dock :banana:

I definitely didn't know that. Thanks for telling me. I've been afraid to pin things ever since I got emails from people I didn't know. :)

You are welcome, pin away! Or check the settings :)

Aww really, I know you have an inner DIY side to ya! :laugh:

Your daughters will probably like the site a lot! I see lots of college stuff on there and crafty headbands and other things to make :) if they want an invite you can PM their e-mail addresses :)

It was great meeting you too, I am not sure if I will make it to the UF/FSU game but my parents will definitely be there. If you go, our RV is like an open house on game does so stop by!

I will post Grande One pics as soon as a download them to my computer. It is the yacht that is kept at the Grand Floridian but they picked us up at the fort dock :banana:

Oh, crafty headbands!

Why didn't you say that in the first place?

I am in!

Not really.

I'll mention it to the girls.

I believe that I have just secured tickets to the FSU @ UF game this year.

I'll be prowling to parking lots looking for your dad.

Give me a hint about where he parks.

Actually, I will be hosting my own tailgate, so I won't be able to accept the offer. But you never know.

I would really like to see the photos from your cruise on the yacht. That sounds so awesome. I wish I had seen it pulled up to the Fort dock! Y'all went on the night Joe Biden was at the Contemporary- I wonder if anyone thought it was him on the boat?

TCD

TCD-

I will post some pics when I get them downloaded to my computer :) Yes, Biden almost made us miss the fireworks. They had the water bridges closed but re-opened them just in time... or else

Actually I kinda wanted to go see him because I heard he was talking about education and was speaking to the FEA (Florida Education Association) which I was a part of in college :)

I've seen some of my friends on FB saying they've posted things on Pininterest...never knew what it was! Now I'm going to have to check it out! Thanks for the info!

Prepare to be addicted... you have been warned :) I already have over 600 pins in a month :dropjaw: and I have made lots of the recipes and crafts I found on there and they all turned out great! If you need any help let me know, I had to write a tutorial for my mom lol.

Happy pinning :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh Boy! I have found myself spending more and more time on Pinterest and less on FB! Just too cool! Ironically, I have pinned just a few things Disney on my boards. Guess I need to get to workin' on that!

Me too, I hardly go on FB now. My BF sure is happy for pinterest, I can now cook things that taste good :rofl3:

i will have to check this out... never heard of it.

Warning, it is highly addicting! If you need an invite let one of us who are a member know and we can send you one.

I need to figure it out, but I don't have enough time in a day to get hooked on anything else

You can get sucked in easily! As stated above, I hardly go on FB now... im a pinaholic!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got on it thanks to Cheryl, not sure what I am doing. But it's addictive and I don't need any more things to waste my time LOL. I always look and dream but never do. There are some really cool ideas on here and maybe I can do some of them.