My SIL gave this 2 thumbs WAY up a few weeks ago. She's very much a meat and potatoes girl and would have eaten this every night if we'd let her. ;)

From the Disney Food Blog...

Review: Trail’s End Dinner Buffet (and NEW Baked Potato Bar!)

Nov 28th, 2011 by Kim.

Learn About:

Trail’s End Restauranttrailsend-300x135.jpg

Disney World Restaurants

Trail’s End in Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort has gone through a few changes over the past year. A new a la carte menu at lunch is winning raves, and now a new baked potato bar at the dinner buffet is heartily praised as well! Can’t wait to hear your comments!

The Trail’s End restaurant is especially fun because of the journey it takes to get to Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground. Whether you arrive via bus, boat, golf cart or bike, you’ll find yourself naturally immersed in this far-away setting.

Trail’s End is nestled in the Settlement area of the resort, which is also home to the popular Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue dinner show, Crockett’s Tavern, and the Settlement Trading Post, which serves as the general store.

Trails-End-Sign-500x375.jpg

Trail's End Sign

Atmosphere

Trail’s End, Crockett’s Tavern, and the Hoop-Dee-Doo share space in Pioneer Hall, where visitors can sit for a spell in a rocking chair or play checkers on the porch.

Cozy-Porch-500x375.jpg

Cozy Porch

Inside, the rustic atmosphere invites guests to unwind while savoring a buffet comprised of down-home good eats.

Lower-Seating-Area1-500x391.jpg

Lower Seating Area

Eats

Once seated your server will offer beverages. I just love the mason jars that the cold beverages are brought in.

Coffee-and-Water-in-Mason-Jar-500x375.jpg

Coffee and Water in Mason Jar

I’m a self-diagnosed carbaholic and the new baked potato bar at Trail’s End was a welcome addition to this simple but delicious buffet.

Start with a starchy potato with salted skin, then add your favorite fixin’s. Yes, that’s melted cheddar cheese and fresh, warm bacon!

Salted-Potatoes-Cheese-and-Bacon-500x260.jpg

Salted Potatoes, Cheese and Bacon

There were a variety of fixings – Chipotle Butter, Salsa, Butter, Jalapeno Sour Cream, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese and Bacon.

Potato-Fixins-Bar-500x375.jpg

Potato Fixins Bar

Roasted Strip Loin was on the carving board with Au Jus.

Roasted-Strip-Loin-and-Au-Jus-393x525.jpg

Roasted Strip Loin and Au Jus

Fill up a bowl of Chili or Tomato Basil Soup!

Chili-and-Soup-500x370.jpg

Chili and Soup

Trail’s End also has a Pasta Bar now! It’s a nice addition to the selections of comfort food. Top your pasta with marinara or cheese sauce.

Pasta-Bar1-500x236.jpg

Pasta Bar

Green Beans, Mixed Vegetables and Cod.

Veggies-and-Cod-500x374.jpg

Veggies and Cod

Pork Ribs, Fried Chicken (Thighs and Legs) and BBQ Chicken.

Pork-Ribs-and-Chicken-500x291.jpg

Pork Ribs and Chicken

Fried Corn with Bacon, Brown Gravy and Mashed Potatoes. The Mashed Potatoes won rave reviews even by my 11-year old who doesn’t usually eat potatoes with the skins. They were THAT yummy!

Fried-Corn-Gravy-and-Mashed-Potatoes1-500x304.jpg

Fried Corn, Gravy and Mashed Potatoes

Shrimp with Horseradish Dressing and Cocktail Sauce.

Shrimp-and-Sauces-500x320.jpg

Shrimp and Sauces

Salad fixings included Black Olives, Red Onions, Tomato, Lemon, Cucumber, Banana Peppers, Grapes and Cantaloupe. Dress your greens with Bleu Cheese, Ranch, Balsamic or Thousand Island Dressing. Don’t forget the Bacon Bits!

Mixed-Greens-350x311.jpg

Mixed Greens

Salad-Fixings1-500x310.jpg

Salad Fixings

Salad-Bar-500x191.jpg

Salad Bar

Tomato Mozzarella Salad, Caesar Salad, Cheddar Cheese.

Salads1-500x255.jpg

Salads

Cucumber Salad, Potato Salad, Croutons, Cole Slaw, Shredded Carrots.

Salad-Bar-Fixings-500x245.jpg

Salad Bar Fixings

Self-serve ice cream is dispensed in vanilla or chocolate flavors. There’s also an option for a twist. That’s the unmarked middle lever. Go ahead and mix it up! I did!!

Ice-Cream-Dispenser-500x375.jpg

Ice Cream Dispenser

We didn’t pass by the Sundae Toppings with choices of Cookie Topping, Chocolate Topping, Strawberry Topping, Chocolate Buttons, Gummi Bears, and Caramel Topping.

Sundae-Bar-500x285.jpg

Sundae Bar

The delicious Apple Cobbler dessert! Fill up a crock, then top it with ice cream (and caramel sauce!) for an extra sweet treat!

Apple-Cobbler1-500x326.jpg

Apple Cobbler

Corn Bread was found on the dessert table, but I’ll admit to putting some on my dinner plate. We also discovered cookies, brownies, rice krispies, bread pudding, and pudding “dirt” cups with gummy worms.

Corn-Bread-Cookies-Brownies-500x386.jpg

Corn Bread, Cookies, Brownies

Brownies-Rice-Krispie-Treats-500x255.jpg

Brownies, Rice Krispie Treats

Bread-Pudding-350x332.jpg

Bread Pudding

Dirt-Cups-350x295.jpg

Dirt Cups

Simple foods on my son’s first plate.

Chicken-and-Mashed-Potatoes-500x375.jpg

Chicken and Mashed Potatoes

My plate with a starch concentration. icon_wink.gif

Plated-Food-500x375.jpg

Plated Food

The apple cobbler was good enough for seconds! It was warm, chewy but not crunchy, and sweet.

Apple-Cobbler-and-Ice-Cream-500x375.jpg

Apple Cobbler and Ice Cream

Overall

While I’ve had the pleasure of dining here on a previous trip, this was the first time that I’ve brought my family here. Trail’s End satisfied the hunger and picky appetites of our entire party.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/28/review-trails-end-dinner-buffet-and-new-baked-potato-bar/

We've had several good meals here lately. I especially like the croutons made from cornbread - different, a surprise that seems completely appropriate once you discover it... yummm, now I want salad and cobbler topped with ice cream! :heart: