From the Disney Food blog

Guest Review: Kona Cafe Breakfast

Nov 4th, 2011 by AJ.

Please welcome guest author Aaron Crum with a review of breakfast at the Kona Cafe from his last Disney vacation! Let’s make our way to the Polynesian Resort this morning! Aloha!

We arrived at Kona Café around 10 o’clock. We didn’t have reservations and we were told it would be about a 25 minute wait. The time passed quickly as we strolled around the resort and took in everything the Polynesian has to offer. Sometimes, I forgot I was even in WDW and not off the coast of Hawaii somewhere!

After about a 20 minute wait, our buzzer went off and we were seated at our table.

DSC02270-500x388.jpg

Atmosphere

The dining area here is very open and has a very comfortable feel to it. However, because of the open feeling, and lack of separation between the restaurant and the lobby, it can get somewhat noisy. This is even more so the case as the new waiting procedures at ‘Ohana have all guests waiting in the lobby.

We were fortunate to get a table on the near side of the restaurant along the wall, which are 2-person booths. This gave a more intimate feel to the meal.

Kona-dining-room-500x333.jpg

Kona Cafe Dining Room

DSC02273-500x333.jpg

Seating Area

Eats

After taking several minutes gazing over the Kona cafe breakfast menu, we ordered Tonga Toast and the Big Kahuna.

Tonga Toast is the staple of Kona Café breakfast and it doesn’t disappoint! However, let me add this disclaimer: this dish is as sweet as they come, and it’s loaded with sugar. To make it, they take two huge slices of toast, roll them in cinnamon and sugar, and fill the space between the slices of bread with banana. And to top it off, they give you a creamy strawberry compote to pour over it.

This honestly would be just as good on the dessert menu as it would be on the breakfast menu.

DSC02275-500x333.jpg

Tonga Toast Sweetness!

We also had the Big Kahuna, which is Kona’s version of the breakfast sampler. It came with eggs, pancakes, French toast, bacon, sausage, ham, and potatoes. Yes, a breakfast fit for a king.

The eggs were okay, the same you would find at any other Disney restaurant. The pancakes were silver dollar and were topped with pineapple and macadamia nuts. While the pancakes themselves were nothing to write home about, the topping was what made them special. The mix of flavors between the sweetness of the pineapple and the saltiness of the macadamia nuts really worked well together.

The French toast was also fairly basic. The bacon was a little under-cooked and “flimsy;” I prefer my bacon thick and crunchy, so it may be more of a preference thing than anything else. The sausage was very good, not over-cooked and very flavorful and juicy. The ham had potential; it was a little over-cooked, but the flavor was right on point and this particular cut of ham was fairly thick.The potatoes were seasoned with “island” flavors, and complemented the other items on the dish very well.

DSC02276-500x333.jpg

Breakfast Sampler

Overall

Whether you eat here for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you can’t go wrong at Kona Café. While it doesn’t draw the crowds that ‘Ohana does, it has some real winners on the menu that you can’t pass up. So without a doubt, don’t miss Kona Café!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/11/04/guest-review-kona-cafe-breakfast-2/

Tonga Toast... YUMMMMMM! :jumpforjoy

I was gushing over my favorite breakfast last month when Karla pointed out that they serve it at Captain Cook's downstairs - and it COSTS LESS TOO!!!!

Sure enough, I checked last week and tonga toast was just $5.19 there - albiet without the Macadamia Nut Butter or strawberry compote but still... $5.19... Is that awesome or what??? :heart:

Tonga Toast... YUMMMMMM! :jumpforjoy

I was gushing over my favorite breakfast last month when Karla pointed out that they serve it at Captain Cook's downstairs - and it COSTS LESS TOO!!!!

Sure enough, I checked last week and tonga toast was just $5.19 there - albiet without the Macadamia Nut Butter or strawberry compote but still... $5.19... Is that awesome or what??? :heart:

We had the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks downstairs last Friday. It is EXACTLY the same as the $13 meal upstairs, except for the strawberry compote. And you can get all the butter and syrup you want. So let's just say I was in a sugar coma for a while afterward.

We had the Tonga Toast at Captain Cooks downstairs last Friday. It is EXACTLY the same as the $13 meal upstairs, except for the strawberry compote. And you can get all the butter and syrup you want. So let's just say I was in a sugar coma for a while afterward.

Do you have pics to prove this? If not, I will need INC to verify.....