campground near Gulf Coast?

Hello,

My family is making a trip to the Fort in late April of 2012 and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a campground

near the gulf and 3 to 4 hours from the Fort. We'd be coming down I-75. We'd like to camp and when we get up go to the gulf and swim a little and then pack up and check in at the Fort in the mid-afternoon. Is this possible? Thanks for any help.

When I saw GULF COAST, I immediately thought of my second favorite campground - Topsail Hill in Santa Rosa Beach, FL. It is more than 3-4 hours away from WDW, it's in the panhandle. But worth a trip someday if you've never been there.

Sorry I can't help!

For what it's worth, I think that 3 to 4 hours to the Fort and near the Gulf and on your way from Iowa along 75 makes things a bit difficult.

I live on the Gulf Coast, down by Tampa.

From just a little north of me, up to the "big bend" in the panhandle, there aren't really any really nice beaches along the Gulf.

There are some great places to camp near the beach on the Gulf in the panhandle, but those are all more than 3-4 hours to the Fort. Those places are more like 6 plus hours to the Fort, and would also require you to detour for 2-3 hours from 75 to get there.

Then there are some great places to camp near the beach in the Tampa Bay area and South. Those places would put you 2-3 hours or less from the Fort, but they are not on your way to the Fort, so you would have extra driving to do to get there.

Just thought I would share this with you so you understand why you aren't getting any good suggestions from the good folks here.

TCD

Good Point TCD. My one and only campground on the gulf I've been too is near Mobile, and that would be waaaaay out of your way. Most of us think of the gulf as along I-10 which is more than 3-4 hours from the Fort.

Yes, if you look at a map of Florida, you would think that it's one big beach from Pensacola to Naples. But, from St. George Island, near the bend, down to Tarpon Springs, there are no beaches like you find in the panhandle or in Clearwater and south.

TCD

Didn't know that. That's what I get for living my entire life in land locked Iowa. Last time we came down we cut across Florida to see the Atlantic Ocean.

I thought this time it would be nice to see the Gulf, but that seems unlikely. What nice campgrounds around Tampa are there? What about North of the

Fort and near the Atlantic Ocean or should I start a new topic?

Tampa is about 20 miles inland from the Gulf.

If you are looking for a "nice" campground near the water in the Tampa Bay area, I would suggest Fort Desoto, which is a county park here in the county where I live. It isn't as nice at the Fort be any stretch, but it is clean and the price is right.

I will have to let others respond about other campgrounds along the Gulf- I recall this subject being discussed before, but I have not personally visited any of those campgrounds. I think there were some in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, but you will be driving quite a bit out of your way for those.

On the East Coast, I recall the mousekatab/Carol just camped at Anastasia Island State Park- that is a nice place. But, again, I will have to defer to others regarding campgrounds near the beach.

TCD

Just thought I would share this with you so you understand why you aren't getting any good suggestions from the good folks here.

TCD

Thank you, TCD, that is exactly what I was thinking! There are gorgeous beaches here in the panhandle, but they definitely didn't meet the criteria! Now if you reroute and decide to come in on I-10, you would be in luck!

Thank you, TCD, that is exactly what I was thinking! There are gorgeous beaches here in the panhandle, but they definitely didn't meet the criteria! Now if you reroute and decide to come in on I-10, you would be in luck!

Well, I think I will reroute our trip to the East. Because of your posting the http://www.wecamphere.com/ web site I think I've found a great spot. Once again thanks!!