Stef's Knee Deep in Atlanta, Georgia - Update 1/27

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Believe me...I can ramble with the best of them :)

After they exited the stage, the lights came up. We waited about 40 minutes for the main event while the drunk crowd got drunker, couples were fighting (alcohol induced) and some guy was thrown out by security. My back was killing me and I was more than tired of people pushing and shoving their way towards the front. Finally the lights dimmed and the sound of "Keep Me In Mind" started up.

At this point, they were behind a screen so you could only see their silhouettes. When that curtain dropped the roar of the crowd was palpable!

ZBBNewYears2011161.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011155.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011159.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011169.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011160.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011164.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011162.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011166.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011163.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011158.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011170.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011171.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011150.jpg

Devil Went Down To Georgia was the 3rd song that they played, and the noise level was through the roof! They were running all over the stage and playing their hearts out.

ZBBNewYears2011157.jpg

Just as Clay Cook was running from the runway back up to the main stage, I snapped this picture of the jumbo tron.

ZBBNewYears2011156.jpg

To say the concert was incredible would be an understatement! ZBB is one of the few concerts that I've seen that sounds almost identical to the recorded albums. If you're a fan and ever get an opportunity to see them, DO IT!!!

We left a few minutes before we thought it would be over as I wanted to hit the merchandise tables. Remember, when we arrived, the arena wasn't open and they weren't set up.

We walked back to the hotel among hundreds of people and made it safely back. I took a hot shower and climbed into bed. I would have loved to get a picture of our hotel view at night, but my camera battery had taken it's final breath.

One more post, and we'll call it a day, night, weekend!

Sounds like a good time. One reason that I love country music is because it sounds the same live as it does recorded.

Very cool about the display in the lobby of the Westin. After the tornadoes, I would always check out the windows whenever i drove through Atlanta. I was so glad when I saw that they had replaced them.

BTW- that's a bunch of BS about not being able to serve alcohol on a Sunday in Atlanta. There is a state law that you can't buy alcohol (packaged...like in a liquor store or grocery store), but they can definitely serve it. My daughter and son-in-law were served in downtown Atlanta on New Years Day. Kind of makes me wonder if there might have been an issue with their license...like they didn't renew in time. We have to renew our license in October to get it in time for the new year.

Yes Kim, YUCK! There was a nice small leather couch in our room and even that grossed me out. I can only imagine what's happened on that couch.

YOU, A Skynryd fan? I would never have guessed that!!!! :worship:

ICK @ the leather couch!

Yes, me. A Skynyrd fan to the core. :) Methinks Stef has misconceptions about KFK. ;D :heart:

I throroughly enjoyed your Hotlanta report Stef! Yo mama rocks!

For the last post for today, I will give you my un-expert review of the Westin Hotel.

This was walking into the room:

ZBBNewYears2011061-Copy.jpg

The bathroom on the right:

ZBBNewYears2011071.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011070.jpg

ZBBNewYears2011069.jpg

The "business center" aka desk.

ZBBNewYears2011063.jpg

TV, dresser and wet bar

ZBBNewYears2011062.jpg

The king-sized bed

ZBBNewYears2011064.jpg

Now let's backtrack a minute.

The rooms seem very small because of their round shape.

I preferred the bathroom set-up of the Super 8. Shower and toilet in one room, separate from the vanity area.

The "business center" as they call it is a desk with a lot of electrical outlets underneath, a phone, an internet modem and lamp. That's the coffee maker on the left.

Internet: $14.95 per day (free wifi at the Super 8 ). They did allow us a free cup of coffee (but it wouldn't surprise me if I were to get a bill <_< )

Now let's discuss the wet bar. It was in the cabinet on the right, but you had to go downstairs and get a key to open it. Those bottles of water, $5 each. Those bottles of wine, $34.00. Snickers bar $3.00. I'm sure you're getting the picture. I quickly told Trevor "Don't touch anything!" :siren:

The bed was fine and comfortable, but nothing spectacular. Everything in the Westin is "Heavenly"

The Heavenly mattress, the Heavenly shower head.....Sounds pretty, right? :))

The best part of the room, by far, was the view!

Looking to the right. You can see Olympic Park, Georgia Dome and CNN Headquarters. The Philips arena, where the concert was held, is just on the other side of the CNN building.

ZBBNewYears2011065.jpg

Straight out:

ZBBNewYears2011067.jpg

To the left:

ZBBNewYears2011066.jpg

Looking directly down:

ZBBNewYears2011068.jpg

Spooky for someone scared of heights, but I got used to it after a little while and enjoyed it, especially at night.

Now, as far as location, A+++++. Not only are you smack dab in the middle of everything, but the Atlanta police dept. is directly across the street. Feeling safe, and seeing a lot of men in uniforms is an added bonus.

This bank of elevators was fun too:

ZBBNewYears2011073.jpg

That is a huge mirror on the far end of the hall, so I used every opportunity to practice my Supermodel walk, all the while singing the song by RuPaul.

The room itself was like any other hotel room. There were nicks in the walls, some black stains in the tile grout in the shower, a piece of molding along the carpet that was peeling up.....I would not normally complain about those types of things, I know people do crazy things in hotel rooms, and it takes its toll.

But, in the words of Judge Judy: "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!"

The prices, the fancy pictures on the walls, the staff in suits and the flower arrangements don't bowl me over. It was just a normal hotel that happens to be in a great location.

After unloading our stuff, we went downstairs to pick up our platinum package ZBB tickets. Did I mention that we got goodies? By goodies, I mean this:

ZBBNewYears2011072.jpg

We each got a tote bag, a leather keychain, a poster signed by all the band members, and a t-shirt! All very cool!!!

We received our tickets, our eat & greet wristbands and our sticky patch that gave us free access to the bar until Zac took the stage. BTW, Zac's 2 main sponsors are Jack Daniels and Landshark Lager, which is Jimmy Buffetts brand.

With all the details out of the way, we headed out to the mean streets of Atlanta. We weren't sure what we were going to do, but we definitely found something to occupy our time!

Stef, I've been waiting for this TR to hear all about your trip to the city that...you know...I don't like to go to!! :)

Someone may have mentioned this already but did you know that a tornado blew out SEVERAL of the windows at the Westin about 3 years ago? Yep....a tornado hit DOWNTOWN ATLANTA.

Anywho - really enjoying reading this!!

Very cool about the display in the lobby of the Westin. After the tornadoes, I would always check out the windows whenever i drove through Atlanta. I was so glad when I saw that they had replaced them.

BTW- that's a bunch of BS about not being able to serve alcohol on a Sunday in Atlanta. There is a state law that you can't buy alcohol (packaged...like in a liquor store or grocery store), but they can definitely serve it. My daughter and son-in-law were served in downtown Atlanta on New Years Day. Kind of makes me wonder if there might have been an issue with their license...like they didn't renew in time. We have to renew our license in October to get it in time for the new year.

What Original Holly said! Some municipalities now have a license to sell on Sundays but you can get served all day long.

~Other Holly

Great TR, Stef. I enjoyed every minute of it. One favor though? Could you maybe make some stuff up and do an update or two? I still have a long ride, I need some entertainment. :))

Thanks doodle! But I got nothing left but sweet memories. :heart:

Great TR so glad you had a great time. The only problem I would have is staying in a hotel room. I have a hard time with them. But it was worth it. I don't think I have heard any of their music, thou I might have and don't know it. So you have to play some for me in Feb.,

I hear ya Lorna! I am so spoiled by sleeping in my own bed that I was skeeved out both nights in a hotel, but it's the price I had to pay.

We will definitely rock out to some music in February! Let's see if we can get the po-po called on us again. Who wants to invite bigblock? :clint:

Stef, do you know what the deal is with Zac always, always, wearing some sort of a hat?

Most of the time it's that silly looking ski cap, but I've seen him with a baseball cap too.

I've seen some rare pics of him hat-less and he seems to have a full head of hair.

90% of the time it's the beanie, once in a while a ball cap. Here's his answer. While this may have been his original reason, now I think it's his "thing"

A listener tweeted the question, “What’s up with the hat?” Brown answered, “I can’t stand having cold air blowing in my ears, so when it’s cold at my house or if I am outside, I am going to have my ears covered up.” It’s not just a disdain for the chill in the air that causes him to wear the hat, either. It’s a preventive measure. “When you are a singer, you have to nurse yourself and make sure you don’t get a cold,” Brown said. “So when I get drafty cold air in my ears, I would get an earache and get sick. I had to make sure I hustled and stayed well for my shows that I played.”

Great TR!!

Thanks Nicki!

Great TR Stef. Any pics of you meeting the big guy? Our munchkin standing next to a giant would be quit the pic.

No pics Steve, but I would have loved it!! I was about waist high on that guy. Thanks for reading.

Stef, Your Mama did y'all good! Any chance she is wanting to adopt?

:)) No Rita, I think she's wondering when she can get rid of me. Never gonna happen!

Sounds like a good time. One reason that I love country music is because it sounds the same live as it does recorded.

It was amazing!! Thanks for reading.

Hmmm, interesting! Maybe they were cutting costs. Didn't really matter to me whether they did or didn't, I didn't want to get on the road that late in the day. I was ready to be in my quiet neighborhood and my OWN bed.

Chicken Fried!!! I love ZBB and Stef trip reports! Bruce says that Trevor is lookin' smokin' hot! Well, maybe he didn't quite put it that way... ;)

Thanks Lisa. I love that you put "love, ZBB, & Stef" all in one sentence!

I will be sure and tell Trevor that Bruce is still pining for him. ;)

BTW, last night we were listening to BBS and Trevor said "Bruce would like these guys" So he is never far from Trevor's mind either.

Yes, me. A Skynyrd fan to the core. :) Methinks Stef has misconceptions about KFK. ;D :heart:

I think you may be right KFK! We will have to have a private chat about KFK's life before she became Mrs. H and a Mama. >:D

What Original Holly said! Some municipalities now have a license to sell on Sundays but you can get served all day long.

~Other Holly

:banghead: Liars!!

Oh, and love me some Landshark. :)

Not bad at all, and especially good when free!

You could give Steph the Taj Mahal and it wouldn't be good enough. She'd find something wrong.

There's the Donnie I'm used to. I'm surprised you don't have brown eyes, because you are so full of sh*t. Maybe you should go back and read the whole report. I was thrilled with the Super 8, both the cleanliness and the cost. What I'm not thrilled with is any hotel, as I know what goes on in there.

Think back MANY years ago, when you were still "active" :hah:

:banghead: Liars!!

Not bad at all, and especially good when free!

There's the Donnie I'm used to. I'm surprised you don't have brown eyes, because you are so full of sh*t. Maybe you should go back and read the whole report. I was thrilled with the Super 8, both the cleanliness and the cost. What I'm not thrilled with is any hotel, as I know what goes on in there.

Think back MANY years ago, when you were still "active" :hah:

That was before I needed reading glasses, metamucil and whatever makes me tick these days. Go back to bed and get up on the other side lol, I was just kidding. Another thing to consider is the Westin is pretty old. Remember the movie Sharky's Machine with Burt Reynolds? That was filmed there.

Check out the 3rd video down in this link. http://jpfmovies.wordpress.com/2011/03/18/sharkey%E2%80%99s-machine-who-could-have-guessed-that-the-father-from-%E2%80%9Cfamily-affair%E2%80%9D-could-play-a-vice-cop/

That was before I needed reading glasses, metamucil and whatever makes me tick these days. Go back to bed and get up on the other side lol, I was just kidding. Another thing to consider is the Westin is pretty old. Remember the movie Sharky's Machine with Burt Reynolds? That was filmed there.

Check out the 3rd video down in this link. http://jpfmovies.wor...lay-a-vice-cop/

So what, you're old? I plan to be "active" until I'm dead.

I've seen that movie, but never put 2 & 2 together. Thanks!

I was wondering what the donkey had to do with anything... but to each his/her own. :rofl2:

Stef knows. I understand they can be choking hazzards.

Just a quick update. Just bought my tickets! :jumpforjoy

Have a great time!!!!!