From the Disney Parks blog...

Vintage Walt Disney World: IllumiNations Blasts Off at Epcot

posted on January 26th, 2012 by Nate Rasmussen, Archivist, Marketing Resource Center

While nighttime at Epcot has become synonymous with watching IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth around World Showcase Lagoon, it wasn’t until Jan. 30, 1988, that the original IllumiNations made its debut.

umm495433SMALL.jpg

When IllumiNations was first performed, it was described as a nighttime spectacle that captured the glitter of Times Square, the fantasy of Paris at night and the splendor of Piccadilly in an international music and light show.

let494642SMALL.jpg

This first version of IllumiNations used 13 special-effects projectors (as seen above in the Germany Pavilion), 11 searchlights, 12 wire/mesh grids (as seen below in the France Pavilion), 180 nozzles which created the fountains, 783 fireworks pieces, and 550 theatrical lights – that’s enough to stretch across the Golden Gate Bridge more than six times.

tpk395313SMALL.jpg

Over the last 24 years there have been three different versions of IllumiNations performed, and even today, an Epcot evening isn’t complete without the spectacular ending of IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth to close out the night.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/01/vintage-walt-disney-world-illuminations-blasts-off-at-epcot/

Actually, I thought there was 4 different versions.

There was the original Illuminations, then they brought out Illuminations 25 for the 25th anniversary, then there was a Holiday Illuminations, it was a total change, not just a "tag" like they do now.

I have seen Illuminations 25 and Holiday Illuminations, but I never saw the original. (If I remember correctly, after the 25th anniversary ended in early 1998 (They stretched that one from September 96 to Feb 98), they went back to original Illuminations for a bit, then started Illuminations, ROE

mrsbeasley.gifmrsbeasley.gifPick me, Pick me!

I've seen the original Illuminations. AND the original Figment show.

Course I was just a teeny bopper back then and couldn't tell you what I remember.

But I can say I was there.