Retirement Trip - 2012

I am planning a lengthy retirement trip beginning May 2012 for about 12 weeks - 6000 miles.

We are basically going to start at San Antonio, then work our way up to Carlsabad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Zion Canyon, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, then drop back down to I-90 & go East & do Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, the Badlands, continue East, then go North on I-35 to Minneapolis & do Mall of America (there goes the charge card). Then we will drop back down I-35 to Kansas City, then go East on I-70 to St. Louis and then conclude our trip stopping at Branson, MO before going home.

Of course we are going to do the obvious tourist stuff along the way, and we are already familiar with the Dallas/Fort Worth area as well as Branson, since we have vacationed several times there in the past.

What I am looking for is those smaller things we need to see along the route, without going to far out of the way. Day trips are OK, since we can just take the towed vehicle & leave the MH at the campground.

Also, any unique restaurants along the way would be great also, you know, the kind you see on the travel channel. We are not much on upscale signature type restaurants though.

Oh, how fun.  I'll work on this as I have time.

St James Winery in St James Missouri.  Exit 195 on I-44.

http://www.stjameswinery.com/

World's Largest Catsup Bottle in Brookville, Illinois (just east of St Louis):

http://www.catsupbottle.com/

Ted Drewes Frozen Custard in St Louis (as seen on one of the TV food shows) 

http://www.teddrewes.com/Drewes.asp

Laura Ingalls Wilder home/museum east of Springfield, Missouri

http://www.lauraingallswilderhome.com/visitus.htm

Maid Rite loose meat sandwich restaurant:  Rollo, Missouri (just west of St James on I-44) has one.  I had to try it because Rosanne Barr made them famous.  Once was enough for me, though.

If you are tempted, don't bother with the corn museum in Mitchell, SD.  It is not worth the time.  :rofl2:

Here are a few in MN

The Jolly Green Giant Museum:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/22211

The last bank Jessie James tried to rob:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/721

This one is a bit out of your way.  The world's largest ball of twine:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2128

Also if you would like, let me know when you are going to be at MOA.  I'd love to meet you!

If you are tempted, don't bother with the corn museum in Mitchell, SD.  It is not worth the time.  ;)

My story about the Corn Palace... I was on a business trip to Sioux Falls and decided to drive to Mitchell after work to see the Corn Palace.  I got there 15 minutes before closing.  I asked the person selling tickets how I should prioritize such a quick visit.  They laughed at me!  The Corn Palace is an old armory...  The inside looked like a basketball court with several free standing room dividers around a very small gift shop.  If you are near Mitchell, you can do a drive by and see 99% of it.  Not much inside. 

If you are tempted, don't bother with the corn museum in Mitchell, SD.  It is not worth the time.  :D

My story about the Corn Palace... I was on a business trip to Sioux Falls and decided to drive to Mitchell after work to see the Corn Palace.  I got there 15 minutes before closing.  I asked the person selling tickets how I should prioritize such a quick visit.  They laughed at me!  The Corn Palace is an old armory...  The inside looked like a basketball court with several free standing room dividers around a very small gift shop.  If you are near Mitchell, you can do a drive by and see 99% of the of it.  Not much inside.

Yep!  That's about it!  For those who may still be compelled to make the stop.  Here's a photo.

south_dakota01.jpg

Yep, it's a building covered with a mural composed of corn and other grains.  Hmmmm....  Well, it gets them on the map...

;)

Thanks, and keep it coming.

I like to do caves, so we generally do Mammoth Cave in Kentucky when we pass that way. One year, I decided to see all the other 'caves' in the same area, just for fun. Basically they were all tourist traps blown out of proportion. Even though it is not in Kentucky, I would put Ruby Falls into this category. When the water level is low, they have large hoses running obviously up the cave wall & across to make the 'waterfall'.

At Carlsbad, make sure you walk down... don't take the elevator.  Take a flashlight with you.  It's a bit dark and the flashlight helps to illuminate the stalacites and stalagmites (SP?) that are in darker areas.  Take your time on the walk down and make sure you look up.  Too many people race to the bottom and miss all the beauty on the way down. 

Make sure you get your National Park Pass and National Park Passports.

There is at least one Earl Of Sandwich in San Antonio.  :parrot:

OT:  On my one trip to Carlsbad, on the way home we drove south out of Carlsbad to catch I-10 for a round about trip home.  That is one desolate area!  Not as bad as the Badlands east of Yellowstone; but, jeez, how can anyone live in that remote an area? 

• 1 month later...

If you're going to MOA, why not hit the waterpark capital of the nation, Wisconsin Dells too. It's a few hours out of the way but not if you're heading southeast anyway.

Our favorite place to stay is the kalahari resort, but this summer we hope to be camping in the Dells instead. There are several interesting looking CGs in that area that are on the water and reasonably priced. Mt Olympus just bought American World, which isn't on the water and didn't appear fabulous as a stand-alone CG, but had really reasonable rates and included length of stay admission to the adjacent theme & water parks that makes a few days there a bargain compared to wdw and campgrounds here on the east coast.

We drive from MD to WI every July, and again in Oct/Nov, for the American Girl benefit sales near Madison. It's always the third Saturday in July. Historically, AG dolls have been reduced to $25-$35 on Sunday when the public can shop without having to buy a ticket so if you have girls that's a great deal.

I am always amazed at how many fun free, and low cost, places there are to visit in the Madison area. LOL there's even a brewery tour with free samples.  :partyline:

For restraurants, Ella's Deli is our favorite. Besides great ice cream and inexpensive, yet great tasting food, it's an awesome collection of moving memorabilia. Literally something to see or play with in every square foot of the place. There's even an antique carousel out front to ride.

DD10 loves the Kalahari & Ella's Deli so much that she begged to go to WI last year instead of WDW. Please don't blame me, I know it's a sacrilage, but I guess there really is no accounting for taste...

http://www.ellasdeli.com/

On the way to the Grand Canyon don't forget the Painted Desert and the Petrified Forest.

I'll second that.  A bit out of the way, but worth the trip.

If you're going to Rushmore, take the time to stop at the Crazyhorse monument and museum.  The monument is still "under constuction" (for lack of a better description) but there is a lot of history in that entire area.  I just love exploring around the Hill City SD area...

I just want to say, that having children is supposed to keep you young. So to help y'all stay youong, I am willing to be adopted! Bonus, I am a VERY mature child and would help cook and clean and set up! Take me with you!

Children - no matter what age - always costs me money, which adds more gray hair  :rofl2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been told you don't want to be in the Mount Rushmore area during the Harley Rally which I think is in August. We've been caught in Galveston before in a Harley Rally and it was crazy. The rally in Sturgess is supposed to be alot crazier than that one. But then again, we have friends who go every year...but if you're not into that, I would work my travel dates around it. It's on the calender for South Dakota.

Are you starting out in San Antonio or will that be your first stop?