Fairfax Fare and the Macaroni & Cheese and Truffle Oil (and Bacon) Hot Dog

The creamy mac and cheese with the salty, snappy hot dog? It just worked. And even though the mac and cheese wasn’t a sharp flavor, the creaminess and texture really added to the dish overall.

Now, for those who are concerned about the bun, this one was fine — perfectly pliable, soft, and fresh, without being the least bit dry or crumbly.

One flavor I didn’t taste strongly, though, was the truffle oil. I’d heard conflicting reports about this and wondered if it would be a distraction, but I didn’t really taste it at all, sadly.

And once I realized that I understood the flavor of the dog minus condiments…I broke out the ketchup. Yes; yes I did. And, I’ll be honest…it tasted even better.

For the full review and photos...

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/02/review-fairfax-fare-and-the-macaroni-cheese-and-truffle-oil-and-bacon-hot-dog/

I do like a good hotdog, and on their own WDW's are pretty decent.

But I'm not really sure what the new "goumet" hot dog craze is about.

We tried the new ones at Casey's last year and those are really all about the toppings...

6348792443_7d8be11776_b.jpg

This one had all the makings of a great hotdog except for one fatal flaw.... the hotdog itself wasn't really hot, and the bun was very cold and dry.

Serve that up steaming hot on even a simple steamed bun and it would have been terrific.

So far of all the snazzy new hot dogs at WDW, the Southern Smothered at the Meadows still beats them all.

Of course you need a knife and fork to eat it... or a bib!

5204587335_32206518ac_b.jpg