First Trip to FTW - Could use some guidance

Welcome Don!! So many comments. If you've read my reports, you know I'm a rambler, so bear with me!

Wasn't a Rambler a little, short car. How appropriate!!!

Don. As stated by all, Welcome; as said by many DON'T over plan. Get a "Kenny Cart" and an activity sheet then cruise around and do what ever sounds like fun.

Wasn't a Rambler a little, short car. How appropriate!!!

Don. As stated by all, Welcome; as said by many DON'T over plan. Get a "Kenny Cart" and an activity sheet then cruise around and do what ever sounds like fun.

Unfortunately, last I heard, kenny has a minimum rental of about 4 nights, so for 1 or 2 day rentals, the fort is the best option.

I am all about the cart, I just wanted to confirm that the cart was the preferred method of this thing called "looping" that you all seem so fond of! ;) We are also bringing bikes, kids and bikes just go together so well! Plus I love to bike! Makes me feel better about drinking copious amount of beer and mass consumption of barbecue.

Your kids will really enjoy the cart. Plus, it makes getting around with kids so much easier. I would definitly do the take out chicken at Trails End. It's a great deal, and I bet you'll have leftovers. We did, and my hubby eats like a pig.

You already got so many suggestions, but I'm going to second the marshmallow roast, pool activities, fireworks on the beach, and boat ride.

FYI - you can bring your own marshmallows, sticks, and whatever else you want to the Chip and Dale Campfire and Sing-along. I haveeven seen people bring hot dogs. OK, we did it too. Much easier than cooking them at the campsite that evening. But I had seen other people do it first! :D

Don:

We've never had a golf cart at FW. We bring bikes, but last year we didn't use them. Walking is good for short distances (less than halfway up the campground) and you can always get a bus back.

Can your DDs stand getting to the gate of a park and not going in? There are a couple of nice boat rides if you can do that. Studios to Epcot is our favourite although you can get off at Boardwalk for a bit of sightseeing. (Bus to the studios).

You can get anywhere on the property by Disney Transit. There are some trips that take multiple changes. Note that Downtown Disney buses do not go to any of the parks. Getting to another resort may be a 2 bus trip but at the other resorts you can do almost anything they offer except swim.

From FW you can take a boat to MK or to Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary. The latter is a triangular trip.

Disney meals are a bit expensive. We're at an age where we can get by on one a day.

If you need to get the family doing something cheap, look for hidden Mickeys. (see the book) A hidden Mickey is a big circle with 2 smaller ones on top of it. There are lots of them around.

Second the idea that FW will spoil you for any other campground. On a scale from 1 to 10 it rates a 12.

Downtown Disney buses do not go to any of the parks.

Not exactly. What, you say? I've alway heard that DTD buses don't go to the parks anymore.

DTD buses don't go directly to the parks, they stop at one of the DTD area resorts before proceeding to a park. This occurs only in the morning. Don't try it after 11AM, you'll just come back to DTD.

You won't know which park the bus is going to unless you ask the driver to find out, they don't know either in most cases. Don't ask, it'll be a surprise. But what do you care, you're not going in anyway.

If you time it right, you can watch the "Opening Ceremony" at MK, usually called the rope drop, without going in to the MK.

Another unique bus ride is from the Outpost to MK. No such thing, right, wrong, but only in the morning. Take the HS from the Fort in the AM, stay on at DHS and you'll end up at MK.