First Trip to FTW - Could use some guidance

Ok- I have been reading trip reports and been all over this site. Stef and TCD and all you guys have so much information and experience here! The DIS board is too busy and hard to find info on, this site seems more approachable and friendlier, so here I am!!

The Skinny is this;

My family just got our first TT, we live in the Stuart area of Florida and have so far taken the camper up to Ocala to mountain bike one weekend. So this is the second trip. I have two DD (like that? I am already using the cool camping slang and whatnot) they are ages 7 and 9. Friends of our family are also meeting us up there, they have DD's age 5 and 8.

We arrive Friday and go home Sunday (this next weekend). We are also planning to go back in July for 4-5 days, so this is a 'test run' for us and I surely want them all to have fun. We are not getting park tickets as we really only will be there one full day and want to see FW.

So, some questions I have for you all...

1. What time should I arrive to check in ideally? I cannot be there at 9am or anything but could be there by 1 or so. Or should I arrive at 3? If I am early, I read we park in an overflow lot and wait for a phone call or something? How long does check in usually take? Any newbie mistakes you can help me avoid?

2. Given my girls ages, what things do you think we ought to do in the two and half days we are there? I want them to have a wonderful experience and maybe we will be regular Fort Fiends up there with all of you!

3. Should I rent a golf cart for fri and sat?

4. How is the FW food? Should we plan to cook our own meals?

5. What don't I know that you think I should? Like the first time you went, was there something you found out later that was like..."man I wished I would have known about that!"

6. Last- where else can we go in the entire park with our FW passes? Anywhere else?

Thank you all in advance!

-Don

Welcome, Mythical. You've come to the right place!! Check out the Info pages. And be prepared, you are going to be inundated with info here!

Hope your first trip is magical (that was for Lou :rofl2: )

Thanks Doodlebug! I look forward to it. You guys love the Fort, so I figured you might at least like helping me plan my little weekend jaunt! ;)

Oh yeah, I take good photos too! I promise to post them! Unlike the famed TR's of TCD. I am more about quality than quantity (see I have been reading up). It is the anal artist in me! ;))

I like you already, Don!! When will you be there in July? There will be a GG over the 4th, it would be a great opportunity for you to meet a bunch of us!!

Sadly, not till later, 14th-17th.

If there are meetups in the future though we are in, we only have about a 2hr45min drive up there!

Welcome Mythical.. the info pages are the way to go and doodle is right be prepared to be flooded with info!

I will try.... LOL

1. What time should I arrive to check in ideally? I cannot be there at 9am or anything but could be there by 1 or so. Or should I arrive at 3? If I am early, I read we park in an overflow lot and wait for a phone call or something? How long does check in usually take? Any newbie mistakes you can help me avoid?

1 sounds like a good time to me and don't think it will be an issue! As for mistakes don't think they are possible on your part but theirs it's well touch and go but not likley! I hope ;)

2. Given my girls ages, what things do you think we ought to do in the two and half days we are there? I want them to have a wonderful experience and maybe we will be regular Fort Fiends up there with all of you!

Well there is the pool, nightly free movie and campfire, fishing (bring your rods or rent them), the beach on bay lake is nice, a nice bike ride through the fort can be fun!! To be honest there is too much to do to list LOL

hmmm not sure on this one!

The food is good but can be pricey as all disney food is. Since it is only two days it may not be a big deal.

5. What don't I know that you think I should? Like the first time you went, was there something you found out later that was like..."man I wished I would have known about that!

The fort is great to enjoy nature and not just a Disney thing.... Ask TCD he knows!

6. Last- where else can we go in the entire park with our FW passes? Anywhere else?

You can visit any resort you wish just don't try and use their pools! LOL

Hope this helped and if I am wrong I am sure some fellow fiends will correct me! :)

Something to think about (if you are a Florida resident) is one of the AP's. Depending on how often/long you go it can save you money. Man I wish I was a Florida resident. Welcome and don't forget to stop by the Introduction Thread to get a proper Fiend welcome. Don't forget to see Lou's favorite EWP. Check out some of the other resorts as they are neat, I highly recommend boating over to the Wilderness Lodge and checking it out.

Welcome, Don-

The first bit of advice I have for you it to be careful about what you say here. Like this:

It is the anal artist in me! ;))

I don't think we need to know who is inside you or what he an artist at.

TMI!

Now, about you questions, I think campingpixi did a good job answering them- what I would add, given the ages of the girls who will be with you, is that you need to get your hands on the activities times guide that tells you what is going on around the pool area every day- they usually have games, a craft and maybe even a dance party- girls like that kind of thing.

I would also suggest that you take a boat ride over to the Contemporary resort, and take a monorail ride. Maybe let the girls get some ice cream at one of the monorail resorts- they all have self serve machines- kids like that. They have Dole Whip (like pineapple ice cream) at the Polynesian resort- self serve- the kids will have as much fun making it as they will eating it.

Also, bring some things for the girls to do around the campsite- crafts, games, whatever.

I would say yes on getting a golf cart for at least the full day you are there- you will all enjoy exploring the campground on it.

Have fun.

TCD

On cooking, depends on if you like to cook or not.

If ya'll are big grillers, then bring something to grill at the campsite.

If ya'll are big breakfast folks, then bring something to make a big breakfast at the campsite.

If you want to eat out the entire time, don't limit yourself just to Fort Wilderness. Trails End is great once or twice, but it can get old.

There is limited food at the pool snack bar.

There are good counter service restaurants at the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge, just a boat ride away. There is a good counter service at the Polynesian, just a boat ride, and monorails ride away.

There is also Downtown Disney, with Earl of Sandwhich, WONDERFUL place with reasonable prices.

If you want to splurge, look into a dining reservation at ANY of the Disney resorts.

As far as activities, there is TONS to do at the Fort, there is also exploring lots of the resorts, and Downtown Disney has lots to do, especially the Lego store. Kids love playing there.

Golf cart. I would rent one from Saturday 1pm till checkout on Sunday. (They rent in 24 hour increments). That will get you Saturday afternoon till you leave on Sunday to ride it around. Or, if you are up to it, brink bikes for everyone.

Also, go see the fireworks from the beach, also see the electrical water pageant from the beach.

There are also activities you can Pay for. Horseback rides, boat rentals, Segway Tours, Pony rides for the kids (really reasonable). Archery experiences. Canoe rentals are really reasonable also.

Visit the Tri-Circle D ranch and the blacksmith shop. See the horses in their stalls, and see the Disney Horse history.

As others have said, the campfire and Chip and Dale singalong are great for the kids. Depending on the movie, that's also good too.

:welcome: I have just two words... TONGA TOAST

Pop over to the Poly for breakfast at Cptn Cooks for Tonga Toast. Next trip I plan to try it ala dolewhip like pie ala mode :fork: yummmmmmm...

Welcome Don!! So many comments. If you've read my reports, you know I'm a rambler, so bear with me!

Stef and TCD and all you guys have so much information and experience here!

Thanks so much! Sometimes it's useless info, but info none the less. :))

The Skinny is this;

My family just got our first TT, we live in the Stuart area of Florida and have so far taken the camper up to Ocala to mountain bike one weekend.

I have been to Stuart once! Beautiful area, unfortunately this was shortly after ya'll had taken a hurricane hit and there were a lot of tarps hanging around. It was cool to see some boats in trees though.

Ocala is about 20 minutes from me! The next time you're up this way, maybe we could meet up.

Of my countless Fort trips I have checked in at all different times. Only once was I asked to wait in the overflow lot for my site to be ready. They are usually pretty accommodating unless it's a really busy time.

I think you will find 2 1/2 days is not enough Fort time. There is so much to see and do. Your girls will love the horse barn, the playgrounds, the pool, the campfire and movies.

If the golf cart is in the budget, I would say go for it! One of the fiends favorite things to do is "looping" It's neat to see all the different campers and their set-ups.

As others have stated, Fort food is limited and expensive. The Trails end buffet for your girls would probably be a waste of money. I know even I can't eat $30 worth of food.

Take the boat over to the Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary or a bus to any resort for some better counter service and less expensive options.

Of course, if you don't mind cooking, firing up the grill at the Fort is a great idea. I find cooking there is much less mundane than cooking at home.

5. What don't I know that you think I should? Like the first time you went, was there something you found out later that was like..."man I wished I would have known about that!"

Nothing! Don't stress or over plan! The world has so much to offer, you will never see or do all of it. IF you see or hear something you missed, put it on the to-do list for the next trip.

I would definitely take a trip to Downtown Disney either for a bite to eat, a snack, shopping or just soaking up the atmosphere.

-Don

Wow guys thanks! TCD - I already stepped into one lol - I will more closely monitor my off handed remarks...or not...

So you can get into downtown Disney without a park pass? That sounds like that could be neat, whenever we went to the parks, we were laser focused to get in, but the downtown would be neat.

This may be another option for you. Once you have finished exploring at Downtown Disney, hop on the boat from there to Port Orleans Resort. The boat takes you past Saratoga Springs Resort, the Tree House Villas, part of the golf course, and Port Orleans French Quarter before you disembark at Port Orleans Riverside. Explore a bit around POR (it's a beautiful resort) and then take a bus to the Magic Kingdom. After arriving at MK, catch the boat back to Fort Wilderness. You don't need MK admission tickets to do this.

I'm guessing your kids will enjoy all the neat things they see on a tour like this and there is no additional cost involved.

Hope you have a great first trip to Fort Wilderness!!

This may be another option for you. Once you have finished exploring at Downtown Disney, hop on the boat from there to Port Orleans Resort. The boat takes you past Saratoga Springs Resort, the Tree House Villas, part of the golf course, and Port Orleans French Quarter before you disembark at Port Orleans Riverside. Explore a bit around POR (it's a beautiful resort) and then take a bus to the Magic Kingdom. After arriving at MK, catch the boat back to Fort Wilderness. You don't need MK admission tickets to do this.

I'm guessing your kids will enjoy all the neat things they see on a tour like this and there is no additional cost involved.

Hope you have a great first trip to Fort Wilderness!!

That is a great idea!

TCD

Don, welcome to FF.net!!!

I am going to go against the grain here, and recommend you don't camp at FW. As relatively new campers, you haven't camped many other places yet. Once you camp at the Fort, every other camping spot will be spoiled for you. You'll endlessly compare every campground to the Fort. "The bathhouses aren't as nice"...."the pool is small and dirty"....."there's nothing to do". Next thing you know, you are heading to the Fort 6 times a year, hanging with Fiends, drinking and looping in your golf cart at all hours.

Doesn't sound so terrible, does it? Welcome to Fiendom!

Ok, on second thought, go have a great time! And hopefully we'll meet you someday.

And when you are there, rent a canoe. Enjoy the pool. Go looping. Take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge and get a magic cookie bar from Roaring Forks. While at the Lodge, wait for the geyser to erupt. If any of the kids with you (maybe the 5 year old) are still small enough, ride a pony at the Fort. It's only $5 (last I checked). Get a Giddyap n Go chicken dinner and sit on the Trails End porch at a picnic table to eat it. With a cold beer if that is your preference.

Once you have finished exploring at Downtown Disney, hop on the boat from there to Port Orleans Resort. The boat takes you past Saratoga Springs Resort, the Tree House Villas, part of the golf course, and Port Orleans French Quarter before you disembark at Port Orleans Riverside. Explore a bit around POR (it's a beautiful resort) and then take a bus to the Magic Kingdom. After arriving at MK, catch the boat back to Fort Wilderness. You don't need MK admission tickets to do this.

This is a great plan, but I'd modify it slightly for maximum Disney transportation "wow" factor...

When you get to MK, take the monorail to the Contemporary, then the boat from there back to the Fort. For a longer ride, you can stay on the monorail for the complete loop through all the resorts and back to the Contemporary before disembarking.

If you've got time, you can even get off at each of the resorts and do a little sightseeing. If you stop at the Poly, don't forget to make a trip down to Captain Cook's for a make-your-own Dole Whip!

If you plan this in the evening, try and coordinate the time to watch Wishes! fireworks from either the Poly beach or the observation deck at the Contemporary (I think it's on the 4th floor).

Have a great time!

Don,

My first trip to FW was in 2010 and we only spent one day out of the five at a park. The rest of the time we went to Downtown Disney, toured some of the other resorts, and enjoyed the Fort. You all should have a blast!!

OK, now if I have this next bit wrong, someone correct me!!

On the off chance that your campsite is not ready and you are directed to the overflow lot, you are not required to sit there and wait. You and your crew and hop on a FW bus and start exploring. Then, when your site is ready, you can decide if you all want to go get the camper and set up, or if it would be easier for you to go alone and leave the kids at a playground with mom while you set up in peace and quiet. ;)

Can't wait to see your TR!!

I'm not going to answer any of your questions as I'm clueless about most WDW stuff. In fact I didn't even read all of your questions.

My advice is to skip the the Electrical Water Pagent, EWP, unless you have absolutely nothing better to do.

And disregard what DoodleBug wrote about making it magical. There is no such thing at WDW. It's a myth.

You guys are the best! What a nice forum/community. Thank you all so much, I will work on a rough itinerary tonight and tomorrow and bounce it over here. I must admit all the TR's have caused me to want to seek out so many spots at FW. I found myself prepping the kids on the Davy Crockett stuff after that awesome thread! The bear will have reached legendary status by the time we get there...

Thanks to all the little nooks you guys made for me, I am thinking an awesome scavenger hunt for the kids in July...can you imagine a grand scavenger mystery all about FW??

I always find it is good to build the mystery before I bring the girls to the place. So, what fun!

I would love to meet some of you folks.

Thank you guys!