New Cupcakes at Captain Cook's - Polynesian Resort

From the Disney Food blog...

Review: New Captain Cook’s Cupcakes

Apr 11th, 2012 by AJ.

Clearly, we’re talking about cupcakes here! We’ve got two completely different snacks to consider from Captain Cook’s Snack Company at Disney’s Polynesian Resort, and you may have just chosen which one will be your first choice the next time you’re in Disney World! Those adjectives perfectly describe the snacks I’m about to review…

Both cupcakes — Chocolate Macadamia and Lemon Ginger — sell for $3.99 or a Disney Dining Plan snack credit. Perfectly fitting with the South Seas ambiance (of COURSE the South Seas have cupcakes!!!), these new flavors capture the essence of the tropics!

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cupcake

OK, forgive the photo backgrounds — I had this cupcake balanced on my suitcase as I was checking out of the hotel! Still, I think the lighting is pretty fun… . Anyway, this thing tastes as good as it looks, I promise.

Artfully arranged macadamia nut slices hint at the fabulousness inside! I mean really, doesn’t that look like a mini mosaic?

choc-cupcake-undressed-408x525.jpg

Chocolate Cupcake Undressed

And you can see the piles of chocolate on top. Sometimes that dark chocolate frosting can be gummy or plastic-y, but in this case, it was just plain luxe. Creamy – not at all grainy — and melt-in-your-mouth.

back-of-cupcake-444x525.jpg

Back of Chocolate Cupcake

Now, as it should be in a Disney cupcake, nestled inside is a center of fudge-y ganache. Serious chocolate overload, but truly an outstanding concoction.

cross-section-449x525.jpg

Chocolate Cupcake Cross-Section

The cake itself is moist and flavorful — not crumbly at all. If you’re gonna eat a cupcake on a suitcase in transit, this is exactly the kind you need; it holds itself together!

And here’s the extra special (though admittedly a little weird) part: macadamia nuts aren’t just garnish! You’ll find more at the bottom of the cake itself when you break it open. You have to wonder — did they fall to the bottom of the cake batter? Did they put them at the bottom of the cupcake tin on purpose? No idea.

bottom-of-cupcake-500x333.jpg

Bottom of Chocolate Cupcake

Weirdness and travel stress aside, I loved this cupcake! This is definitely a return-and-eat-it-when-I’m-not-in-a-rush kind of snack!

Lemon Ginger Cupcake

But if citrus zing is more your thing (ha!), check out the other star of this Poly Resort show — the Lemon Ginger Cupcake.

undressed-420x525.jpg

Lemon Ginger Cupcake Undressed

I know, it looks a little boring at first glance; but trust me — it’s NOT at all boring! Just wait…just wait…! icon_smile.gif

This baby comes all dressed up with a perfectly golden brown cap of meringue in place of the usual buttercream. Do we like this? Well, not really. I understand that we’re thinking outside the box here, but as a buttercream and frosting fan, I always want some substance on my cupcake.

That said, it was a very good choice for this particular item, as it allows you to really taste the light, delicate ginger flavor in the cupcake. Note that this is most certainly not a “gingerbread” cupcake — it’s a much lighter taste than that.

But it’s what’s inside that will have me coming back for this cupcake — me, who has a whole Pinterest board devoted to Lemon Curd.

lemon-filling-454x525.jpg

Lemon Filling

Good golly — look at that lemon filling! And, let me warn you, that’s not any of that overly-sweetened “donut-esque” lemon filling, no sir. That’s super-tangy lemon in there. Perhaps a bit runny, but super lemon-y all the same. With that kind of flavor, I may not need buttercream after all!

Overall

These were two completely different, yet absolutely delicious cupcakes. I loved that both had Polynesian flavors tied in, but they serve two utterly different snack purposes: serious chocolate and rich sweetness versus light and airy, tangy and summery.

Kudos to the Poly on these two! I hope they stick around for a while… . Now, don’t forget to tell us what you voted for at the top and if it corresponded to the cupcake you’d choose if you were at Captain Cook’s!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/11/review-new-captain-cooks-cupcakes/