Tamu Tamu Refreshments - Disney’s Animal Kingdom

From the Disney Food blog..

Guest Review: Tamu Tamu Refreshments in Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Apr 30th, 2012 by AJ.

We’re welcoming back guest author Melissa Sue Sorrells Galley with a review of Tamu Tamu Refreshments in Disney’s Animal Kingdom. There’s a new sandwich that you’ve gotta try…

I have walked by Tamu Tamu Refreshments a million times. This is probably not an exaggeration. But I’d never stopped to eat there until AJ encouraged me to check out their newest menu item: a pulled beef sandwich. Before I knew it, I was standing in line at the little counter in Harambe.

Tamu-Tamu-600x507.jpg

Tamu Tamu Refreshments offers good eats and cold drinks.

Atmosphere

Tamu Tamu can be a little confusing at first. It appears to be little more than a hole in the wall, serving quick service food to passers-by. But, if you venture behind the building, you’ll find a tiny oasis in the middle of the bustling village of Harambe.

Tamu-Tamu-Karibu-600x601.jpg

Karibu, painted on the building’s wall, means welcome in Swahili.

The seating area for Tamu Tamu is covered and offers lots of shade for tired tourists looking to take a load off. The chairs and tables all look handmade, as does the pavilion. (This awning was, I believe, added sometime in 2011 because it wasn’t there in December 2010.)

In addition to being a quiet respite from one of the busiest areas of Animal Kingdom, it also offers excellent examples of Swahili artwork.

Tamu-Seating-Area-600x519.jpg

The seating area features examples of traditional Swahili plaster carving from the 18th century.

Tamu-Plaster-Carving-600x402.jpg

Plaster Carving Info

Eats

As I mentioned above, when you approach Tamu Tamu, it doesn’t look like much. The menu is right next to the ordering counter. Once you’ve placed your order and paid, you continue around the corner to pick up your food.

Tamu-Tamu-Counter-600x462.jpg

You order your meal from a counter built into the side of the building.

Tamu-Tamu-Menu-600x311.jpg

Tamu Tamu’s new menu.

We were here with a very clear purpose in mind: the new sandwich! According to the menu, it’s a spicy beef with mint yogurt cucumber sauce on a pita, served with apple slices or housemade chips.

As a side, I went with the chips, and they’re the standard kettle-style chips that are popping up all over Disney World — with a slight difference. These were a little more peppery than those I’ve had elsewhere. They may not be great for kids, especially if you have a picky eater.

They were warm and crispy when they first came out, but as they sat, they soaked up the beef juices, and then they tasted even better!

Tamu-Pulled-Beef-Sandwich-600x504.jpg

The pulled beef sandwich with housemade chips.

The sandwich itself was really delicious. The beef was extremely tender and well-cooked in a slightly spicy tomato-based sauce. The yogurt sauce was both cooling and fresh — a great accompaniment to the kick in the beef.

Tamu-Pulled-Beef-Sandwich-Inside-600x549.jpg

Inside the new pulled beef sandwich.

Overall, this is an absolutely excellent sandwich and an excellent addition to the menu at Tamu Tamu. Turkey and swiss is a great lunch, but it never felt quite at home in Harambe.

This African twist on a gyro fits right in here among the fruit market, drummers, and busy village atmosphere.

Overall

I’m sorry that I’ve never stopped here for lunch before! The food was delicious, and I really loved how transporting the seating area was. It was much less crowded than the seating area behind Yak and Yeti, though not quite as pretty as Flame Tree.

Make sure to check it out after your next African safari.

Let us know if you’ve ventured to Tamu Tamu Refreshments lately! What’s your favorite counter-service option in Animal Kingdom?

Melissa Sue Sorrells Galley works in higher education communications in upstate New York, where she lives with her husband, Robert, and her cavapoo, George. She’s is the co-editor of Mouse on the Mind.

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/04/30/guest-review-tamu-tamu-refreshments-in-disneys-animal-kingdom/